Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Swim Platform Top Gun >

Swim Platform Top Gun

Notices

Swim Platform Top Gun

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I have never seen one without side supports of some kind. I don't think I would want one. Seems like alot of stress on the transom and a good chance of bending. I guess it all depends on the size and the forces, but go with something solid. You get a few chicks on the back, a heavy cooler, and you want something that you don't have to worry about

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
Thanks for responding. I just cleaned out my mailbox. I didn't see that you had side supports from the other angle.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
I have never seen one without side supports of some kind. I don't think I would want one. Seems like alot of stress on the transom and a good chance of bending. I guess it all depends on the size and the forces, but go with something solid. You get a few chicks on the back, a heavy cooler, and you want something that you don't have to worry about
I had both styles on my Top Gun. The original step from Cigarette with the support loops on the side that act as a "ladder" as well as the style West coast offshore unlimited built us.

I liked the rounded "newer" styling of the new step we had put on. The lack of sides gave it a sleaker look but to be honest I kind've missed the side steps. We were forced to step up onto the tie bar to get on the boat, which can be dangerous with the cleavers for a novice passengers. Another thing was the new step had to be mounted higher due to the fact the two supports have to be longer to support the weight of people on it. Also, the lack of the swim step side supports and the fact the newer step was mounted slightly higher, gave an optical illision the boat sat higher out of the water, which I didn't like.

With all that said, we had no issues with the step in regards to no outer supports. Thing held fine in or out of the water.
Attached Thumbnails Swim Platform Top Gun-img_3902.jpg   Swim Platform Top Gun-new-graphics-6.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also got mine from Extreme. They often run a special in November if you can hold off a bit.

I wanted the side supports, but they said my transom was too "busy". I was worried about it not being sturdy enough as well, but its as solid as a rock. And now that I've had it a while, I actually prefer it without. It has the ladder, but its a breeze to get on without it.

On the trailer, just step on the trailer, then the k-plane and up you go. In the water, k-plane and up.

We spend a lot of time anchored and hanging out on the back, so I like the larger platform for my situation.

One thing to consider though is your choice of colors. They can't just mix and match a color for you like regular paint, which is why I didn't go purple. I forgot now exactly how much they said they had to order to get the factory to do a color match, but it was a LOT more than the 5 pounds or so of paint it takes to do the platform, and you have to pay for the full amount.

Also, they will send you a color chart, but if you hit up some local shops, you can find a wider selection than what they stock. Its the same manufacturer, so they can still order it for like $50 extra than what they stock.
Attached Thumbnails Swim Platform Top Gun-platform-water.jpg   Swim Platform Top Gun-new-platform1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anewway
Also got mine from Extreme. They often run a special in November if you can hold off a bit.

I wanted the side supports, but they said my transom was too "busy". I was worried about it not being sturdy enough as well, but its as solid as a rock. And now that I've had it a while, I actually prefer it without. It has the ladder, but its a breeze to get on without it.

On the trailer, just step on the trailer, then the k-plane and up you go. In the water, k-plane and up.

We spend a lot of time anchored and hanging out on the back, so I like the larger platform for my situation.

One thing to consider though is your choice of colors. They can't just mix and match a color for you like regular paint, which is why I didn't go purple. I forgot now exactly how much they said they had to order to get the factory to do a color match, but it was a LOT more than the 5 pounds or so of paint it takes to do the platform, and you have to pay for the full amount.

Also, they will send you a color chart, but if you hit up some local shops, you can find a wider selection than what they stock. Its the same manufacturer, so they can still order it for like $50 extra than what they stock.
They are running their special now and I think it stops in November. $1999 for the extreme platform. $150 for back rail $350 for ladder + shipping. I really like the one from Lipship that reads TOP GUN on the first page, but it is going to cost over $3400 with no ladder. I don't think that includes shipping either. I'm still debating on what would be the smart thing to do. I still need to upgrade my stereo.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Depends on how long you want to wait, but I plan on fabricating my own. I could always make two at once. This will be about #1,257 on my list of thing to do though. I'll make a thread when I get to that point.