Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Cigarette 38TG – “A New Look” (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/289638-cigarette-38tg-%96-%93-new-look%94.html)

TeamShogren.com 01-04-2013 08:30 AM

Cigarette 38TG – “A New Look”

6 Attachment(s)
A vessel with significant signs of wear and/or ‘dated graphics’ may not be the ideal candidate while shopping for a new boat. However there is light at the end of the tunnel with the right vision. This 1998 Cigarette 38TG is a prime example of a few changes that can modernize an older vessel. The ‘dated’ deck and hullside graphics to the faded vinyl and gauges left this Cig in the past. That’s where we come in with a complete “Modern Look” upgrade package:

Repaint / Label Dash Panels or Carbon Fiber Panels
Re Powder Coat Throttles / Shifters
Replace Gauges As Needed / Complete Gauge Restyle
Replace / Add Gauge Bezels
Replace Cockpit Carpet
Repair Vinyl / Re Dye Vinyl ( Various Color Options )
Cover Existing Graphics ( Vinyl Wrap or Paint )
Re Powder Coat Deck Rails / Grab Handles ( Various Color Options )

Please call Alan today for a quote to this, similar or other service projects.

Alan Gordon
Service Manager - Pier 57
847-336-9037
[email protected]

BEFORE:

TeamShogren.com 01-04-2013 08:46 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Please call Alan today for a quote to this, similar or other service projects.

Alan Gordon
Service Manager - Pier 57
847-336-9037
[email protected]

AFTER:

HOSSMAN 01-04-2013 06:13 PM

Looks good... what power?

4195 01-07-2013 10:55 AM

Nice job!

Unlimited jd 01-07-2013 11:15 AM

Looks great, but why after all that work on the dash reinstall the yellowed rocker switches for trim and tabs?

Smitty 01-07-2013 01:12 PM

And no GPS speedo ???

mittens 01-07-2013 01:19 PM

more importantly.

HOW much... so when shopping someone has an idea..

newer boat at 100k, or older boat at 50k, but looks like ****.

so how much to make the older boat look better...

carter38 01-07-2013 04:56 PM

Looks great!

rlj676 01-07-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mittens (Post 3844050)
more importantly.

HOW much... so when shopping someone has an idea..

newer boat at 100k, or older boat at 50k, but looks like ****.

so how much to make the older boat look better...

Exactly. When I upgrade I'll be looking for a nicely updated 90's gun, what would it cost to have it done vs buying one and doing it myself?

PremierPOWER 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

Looks good but should have updated gauges and switches

HOSSMAN 01-07-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by rlj676 (Post 3844188)
Exactly. When I upgrade I'll be looking for a nicely updated 90's gun, what would it cost to have it done vs buying one and doing it myself?

To have one re-done right and all the goodies of new in old...the 93 Lip Ship is doing is killer...but North of 100 and south of 150 on a 20 yr old boat. Problem isn't so much the the price it's the cash...unless you're paying cash banks seldom will tote the note due to age etc.... But it's a CIG....classic and respected!

mittens 01-08-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by HOSSMAN (Post 3844294)
To have one re-done right and all the goodies of new in old...the 93 Lip Ship is doing is killer...but North of 100 and south of 150 on a 20 yr old boat. Problem isn't so much the the price it's the cash...unless you're paying cash banks seldom will tote the note due to age etc.... But it's a CIG....classic and respected!

Whats the point then? if your into it for 50k boat, and 100k restore.. thats 150k on the low side, and 200 on the high.

you can BUY and NICE, new, boat for that, and have no work, newer boat, and never skip a beat.

frickstyle 01-08-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mittens (Post 3844501)
Whats the point then? if your into it for 50k boat, and 100k restore.. thats 150k on the low side, and 200 on the high.

you can BUY and NICE, new, boat for that, and have no work, newer boat, and never skip a beat.

I think it's all what you want in the end. You can buy a 8-10 yr old TG and go boating for $100K-$150K, but have you seen some of the paint jobs and interiors (cockpit). they look awfully dated. Add $10-20K for new paint and $10K for a new interior or upgrade. It really adds up!

Again, all what you want. If you are going to do EVERYTHING on a resto, it will cost you $100K+ to do it right. And that is with finding deals along the way and taking your time (add a piece here and a piece there) be prepared to take 2-3 years to complete a full resto, min.

The guys who can afford what they want are buying new / newer boats and keeping them for only a few years, smart, if you have the coin and can dump them when you're done. That is a different league right there. Remember, when you can afford a $400K+ toy, you have a different outlook on things.

Listen to the guys on this board, they have been there and done that. There are no shortcuts here, and for some reason, these Cigs are pretty expensive for being older boats.

greg bakker 01-08-2013 05:49 PM

Is that the old Pain Killer ? OMG If so, some hot shot kid owned that boat a long time ago and tried to sell it to me. He said it had all new "tubes" I looked at my buddy and we determined he meant hoses. LOL He lived down in I believe lighthouse point. So we get into the boat,the engines are ice cold, he and his friend in the bolsters and me and my buddy in the back. And as soon as he could he put it to the boards and almost ran everyone in the intercoastal down . People were thrownig stuff at us, giving us the finger,yelling at us! I thought he was gonna kill us all. I am laughing so hard whyle typing this thinking about it... I know it was @ typhoon in jersey a year later. I think it had 540s single carbs Greg

rlj676 01-08-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by HOSSMAN (Post 3844294)

If that update is over 100k that sure makes it tough to swallow. Guess I'll just look for one someone else updated they can lose "a little" on!

On the cash comment if someone has 150k to update a boat in cash seems like they'd have more options, as that is a hefty down payment on a newer model you could finance? I've seen a lot of stepped guns for 150 or less I'd sure like to have.

frickstyle 01-09-2013 07:13 AM

I think he meant $100K+ for a 20yr old boat (complete after redo, total package).

The idea of redoing an old boat is you can take your time, hence, using cash. Say $80K over 2-3 years on a total resto (Strip to bare hull, prep, paint, re-rig, new electronics, interior, engines, drives, c.). You basically have a brand new boat when you are done, built to your taste. It may not be as efficient as newer technology, which is a trade off.

The problem is, no one wants to, or can finance, $100K in a lump sum for an old vessel. Banks will not touch it, and it's tough to insure a boat at that price when the market values them at $30-40K.

mittens 01-09-2013 08:35 AM

I have seen some NICe cigs for 150 or < just my opinion.

now picking up a 30k boat, and spending 60 k to have a very updated one is an option but the money they said is not on par with that.

HOSSMAN 01-09-2013 08:53 AM

I called on the TG at Lip-Ship just to get the skinny on it...beautiful boat but he said "after" the resto it will be "North of 100K but South of 150K". I am definately "not" a player at that price no matter how nice it is. My cash comment meant that no bank unless you have probably 50%+ down will lend out that kind of coin on a 20+ year old boat, no matter the brand, make, model, owner etc. Heck, when I bought my 29 Baja it took 6 banks and 2 months...and that was with excellent credit and 20% down and good debt to income ratio...but that was 3-4 years ago now...not sure it is any better. Back then the banks said they wouldn't go back more then 10 years on a boat.... Now that I am looking again I am in the process of re-learning what they will and won't do.

thisistank 01-09-2013 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 3845070)
I think he meant $100K+ for a 20yr old boat (complete after redo, total package).

The idea of redoing an old boat is you can take your time, hence, using cash. Say $80K over 2-3 years on a total resto (Strip to bare hull, prep, paint, re-rig, new electronics, interior, engines, drives, c.). You basically have a brand new boat when you are done, built to your taste. It may not be as efficient as newer technology, which is a trade off.

The problem is, no one wants to, or can finance, $100K in a lump sum for an old vessel. Banks will not touch it, and it's tough to insure a boat at that price when the market values them at $30-40K.

Frick, is that your boat in your avatar? Are you restoring it? If so you need to start a new thread or at least post pics of that paint! Absolutely love the timeless / classy silver and white in the "diver down / 90mph" paint scheme.

speicher lane 01-09-2013 04:22 PM

+1... I was enlarging the screen on the laptop to see his avatar better - LOL... and that particular silver sets it off!

J-Bonz 01-09-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3845354)
Frick, is that your boat in your avatar? Are you restoring it? If so you need to start a new thread or at least post pics of that paint! Absolutely love the timeless / classy silver and white in the "diver down / 90mph" paint scheme.

I second that!! I cant wait to see more............ Summers coming!

glassdave 01-10-2013 02:00 PM

oops sorry Alan i did not realize i put this on your thread till after i posted it, was just surfing through the board hitting a few replys. As this thread was promoting your work i have no problem deleting or moving mine. Just wanted to share some requested pics. Great work by the way, but we've come to expect that from you guys. Love seeing tasteful updates to an existing graphic. Its amazing how many years you can peel off by changing a color here an there and some re rigging.

rlj676 01-10-2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3845959)
:D The dash pieces are custom caps i made that fit right over the old dash with the compass riser removed and the hatch is also a custom piece i made specifically to fit 87-99 Guns looking to update, have molds for both. The color came out great, i wasnt sure at first but with the right lines and logos it works well, credit goes to the owner for the color/scheme. Next chance i get i will compile a thread on the project so Justin can add his progress :D

This is what I'm talking about!

Need to get this done and the current owner bored of it to sell it off in a few years.:evilb: I don't think I could swing a full renovation, but possibly to buy someone else's after some hours are put on it.

frickstyle 01-11-2013 12:14 PM

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Just thought it was about time to change my avatar, sick of looking at the old paint job. I think Dave was going to start a thread on this, he's got a lot of time into it and some aftermarket parts available for older Guns.

glassdave 01-11-2013 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 3846688)
Sorry Dave, didn't mean to steal your thunder. Just thought it was about time to change my avatar, sick of looking at the old paint job. I think Dave was going to start a thread on this, he's got a lot of time into it and some aftermarket parts available for older Guns.

Hey its no prob at all. I been wanting.to get that thread going, i'll pen up the first couple pages and get it going Sunday. I kinda got ahead of my self and put some pics on this thread but realized after the fact this was a thread promoting 57's work on this TG. I'm sure it was no biggie but then decided it was best to pull and move'em : )

Back4More 01-13-2013 09:48 AM

Looks way better! Good job!

DirtyMoney 01-13-2013 06:28 PM

I have $11k in this redo
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...o-project.html

HOSSMAN 01-13-2013 08:10 PM

Really nice word Dirty Money!

TeamShogren.com 01-14-2013 10:03 AM

Dirty Money, that is some impressive work. That just shows how changing some colors can modernize the look. Keep up the good work!

There are many factors that play into the cost of updating an interior / graphics. Old, worn out upholstery will need to be replaced. Heavily oxidized surfaces will need to be brought back to life before adding graphics / changing colors.

Please email for any pricing / quote info.

Alan Gordon
Service Manager
Pier 57 Sales / Service / Storage
847-336-9037
[email protected]

mittens 01-14-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney (Post 3847934)

Very nice man. I assume all the laybor you did your self?

but very cool

DirtyMoney 01-14-2013 10:37 AM

I did most of the install work. I did not replace the floor, paint or recover the interior.

mittens 01-14-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney (Post 3848376)
I did most of the install work. I did not replace the floor, paint or recover the interior.

Very cool info. 11k seams like a wayt more viaable option. find a boat you like for 30-50k and spend some time and money 10-15k and it looks new.