Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   How to put a Notch in a Flat Deck (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/291576-how-put-notch-flat-deck.html)

Rick G 02-14-2013 10:11 AM

How to put a Notch in a Flat Deck

3 Attachment(s)
Well call me crazy , but I just cut a big hole in my boat that floated perfectly well. As I am putting No. 5 drives on the boat and changing the drive.height. Boat experts far smarter than I suggested a notch would be the way to go as I am not putting extension boxes at this time .
So here are a few pictures of the piece Hull I have removed ( I will give someone a good deal it on it if you are looking to fill in a notch LOL) , the hole I created and the lay up of the notch insert

UrbanDisturbance 02-14-2013 10:28 AM

:poopoo::eekdrop: I have done some crazy stuff, but I think this one takes the cake. Good Luck!

sonicss42 02-14-2013 10:36 AM

Look for posts from ridefast77 or sonic forum. He did similar project.

seafordguy 02-14-2013 12:53 PM

That is one of the wilder projects I've seen on here.

Other than that one guy in our area that is completely re-doing a boat that 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% would have left for flower and small tree duty

hotjava66 02-14-2013 12:56 PM

Kudos to you, either for your mad skills or giant balls :lolhit:
Either way, neat project, will be watching.

Rick G 02-14-2013 01:05 PM

For my sake alot of both I hope . Either way I am upgrading my swiming skills just in case.
RG.

Rick G 02-14-2013 01:16 PM

All kidding aside it will not be as difficult as it looks . the 2 hard parts are cutting the initial opening and glassing the underside of the notch . The quality of the materials today given proper appilcation make the process alot easier than in the past and the odds of success are near perfect . The new resins bond like steel and the fact that I will tie the notch insert to the center and outside stringers should limit the possiblity of failure . I will continue post pics as I go along , it is amazing how much preplanning was involed for what I thought was a simple fiberglass insert.
Rick G.

Flamingo 42 02-14-2013 01:54 PM

Keep us posted with lots of pics :popcorn: cool project

Orionsilverboat 02-14-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rick G (Post 3867302)
All kidding aside it will not be as difficult as it looks . the 2 hard parts are cutting the initial opening and glassing the underside of the notch . The quality of the materials today given proper appilcation make the process alot easier than in the past and the odds of success are near perfect . The new resins bond like steel and the fact that I will tie the notch insert to the center and outside stringers should limit the possiblity of failure . I will continue post pics as I go along , it is amazing how much preplanning was involed for what I thought was a simple fiberglass insert.
Rick G.

Your going to be very suprised how hard it is, cutting the hull like that is a big mistake, it will never be the same structurally, good luck

Rick G 02-14-2013 05:49 PM

Orion I surely hope you are wrong about the structural integrety. Phil at Lipship marine certainly didn't share your concern as he has done this modification on more than one occassion . Given the bonding materials today I am hoping that the structure will the same if not better . Hulls are repaired successfully on routine basis these days I hope mine falls into that category . Besides there is no turning back I already cut the hole.

RG.