Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   My 1979 28SS Finally!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/295814-my-1979-28ss-finally.html)

Yamaha24 05-05-2013 04:25 PM

My 1979 28SS Finally!!

This is my first post to this forum, I have been reading and browsing for years... Anyways I wanted to post a couple pics of my find, an all original 28ss. I grew up in the 28ss my Dad probably has owned roughly 5 over the years. The 28 has always been my favorite CIG, probably because I have so many great memories growing up in them.

Anyways the boat pictured below has been stored for last 12 years inside, the previous owner abandoned it and did not pay storage so the Marina took ownership. I have been going back and forth on buying this thing for the last 5 years. Finally pulled the pin and bought it. 16k out the door,to much for a boat I have never heard run I understand.But as I said all original so I really didn't care just wanted the boat.

I love the fact it is all original, I know this is not for everyone but I love it, original gel coat shines like new! All gages work no corrosion on any gauges, this boat was loved by the previous owner.Cabin was/is mint unbelievable shape.

Well what I had to do to this thing, is a lot more than I bargained for but
I am O.K. with it.
Boat has 370 horse 454's, key exhaust, pretty nice...had to rebuild both 1 engine had bent rod, other engine was built with flat top pistons where blown engine had domed pistons different valve springs ect.... Not the same engines LOL.
1 engine is done other engine will be done next week.

What's been done. I am doing all labor myself pulling engines ect....
Rebuild both engines $7200.00
Port engine gimbal bearing froze.
New bellows of course
Larger oil coolers for trannys.
Redid all cockpit interior, to original rolled and pleated.$3000.00
New stereo of course....
I will have approx 29k invested I know that is more than it is worth but finding one this original is all but impossible these days!! I know been looking for ever..... I live out on the chain, should be a perfect boat for out here.

Enjoy the pics I will post more soon I only have a couple at home with me, I will also post pics of it all complete clean with new interior as soon as I get them.

Also can anyone hook me up with an original center cap for steering wheel please?

Thanks for looking!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...pscb5edb6d.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3c9e3041.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...psbf93ff2a.jpg

Zero Patience 05-05-2013 04:43 PM

Congradulations, keep us posted.

bigboat28 05-05-2013 05:21 PM

Very nice

Biggus 05-05-2013 08:41 PM

Very cool! Looking forward to the updates. Congrats.

Kurt

tomba29 05-05-2013 09:44 PM

Nice find. You won't be disappointed.

rvander68 05-05-2013 09:46 PM

Great looking boat! Keep the pictures coming.

Wet Bowtie 05-05-2013 10:02 PM

awesome! I love the 28's. congrats, I also love the all black. those motors and drives should be a fun reliable boat.

Yamaha24 05-06-2013 05:39 AM

Thanks for the compliments! Feels good to share with people who can appreciate the boat! I have showed the boat to some people who are not really boaters and all they see is an "old boat" funny thing I do not see that at all....

Below is pic of engines before we removed from boat, we think the reason engine failed was because oil pickup was over 3" from bottom of oil pan.... Cannot figure out why both engines are so different I am guessing previous owner was short on cash...
Either way I cannot wait to run, first new engine pictured will be in by end of week.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1ec919bb.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps9d2710e2.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7ff6778f.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...psd3a922ec.jpg

sonicss42 05-06-2013 06:10 AM

Very nice, black looks sinister. Keeps us updated.:evilb:

MrMagloo 05-08-2013 02:26 PM

I think that's Clark's old boat?

Yamaha24 05-10-2013 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by MrMagloo (Post 3921627)
I think that's Clark's old boat?

It might be, when I called original engine builder to see what info I could get on engines I am almost positive he mentioned Clark.

Tried putting first engine in last night, engine WON, could not get the engine and trans to mate up right very frustrating....

MrMagloo 05-14-2013 04:41 PM

Yeah, going way, way back, the first owner used to own a 20 that was named Smoke'm. His last name is escaping me. Clark had a Donzi named Beep, Beep I think, and the two of them raced around the chain together. I had my 302 at the time and the only place I could catch them was going down the river on the weekends. I thought the Smoke'm guy ordered the boat from Stuewe when he had his place in Palatine. However, I really thought the thing had 400's? If the boat has white patches on the deck, that's got to be it. It was in storage at the marina at the corner of 59 and Grand for many years, and then I lost track. Things that far back are getting a little fuzzy. Good luck with this. I can't wait to see it finished!

seafordguy 05-14-2013 07:36 PM

Congrats. Very cool paint scheme - funny that some new stuff from CIG has recently had the same design!!

Don't let that engine get the best of you! That tight of an engine compartment could frustrate anyone.

hop116 05-15-2013 09:24 AM

Boat looks great! I am in the process of doing the same project as we speak. It is ALOT of work but well worth it in my eyes.

Yamaha24 05-17-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrMagloo (Post 3925470)
Yeah, going way, way back, the first owner used to own a 20 that was named Smoke'm. His last name is escaping me. Clark had a Donzi named Beep, Beep I think, and the two of them raced around the chain together. I had my 302 at the time and the only place I could catch them was going down the river on the weekends. I thought the Smoke'm guy ordered the boat from Stuewe when he had his place in Palatine. However, I really thought the thing had 400's? If the boat has white patches on the deck, that's got to be it. It was in storage at the marina at the corner of 59 and Grand for many years, and then I lost track. Things that far back are getting a little fuzzy. Good luck with this. I can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks for the info,
I started boating on the chain approx. 14 years ago or so and I remember seeing this cigarette out there and I always wished I owned it....now I do.... If the engines are 400's great! I did not bring the engines back to the fellas who did these engines originally, my gut told me not to and I am glad I did they would never have informed me of the wrong repairs put into these motors...

I cannot wait to see it finished either LOL...

lucky strike 05-19-2013 06:00 PM

Looks like the Miami boat show 28 Cig. in 1979, Whats the hull number?

Is it the original Gelcoat?

Crallscars 05-29-2013 12:29 PM

I too have a fairly original 1979 SS She was a western drug runner, Original owner was running drugs up from Tijuana to San Diego

Originally, twin 454's 330 HP with TRS drives. What's your Vin # ? my serial number is CRT282850879.

Yamaha24 06-10-2013 06:27 AM

sorry for the long delay have been extremely busy, Cigarette is back together in the water and runs excellent I love the boat. Interior turned out beautiful except for the strips not lining up on seat bottom, but he is fixing that in fall, I did have those cup holders added I liked the way they turned out. I also had one added underneath throttle controls hidden from sight... I have countless hours in this boat it is nice to see it finally in the water! I am thinking I will be updating the steering over winter....

Now if somebody will part with a steering wheel center cap life will be complete

I will post VIN # in the next couple days I do not have with me at my office.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps587db538.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1076fdfc.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7a217e3b.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...psda18df7f.jpg

Yamaha24 06-10-2013 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by lucky strike (Post 3928369)
Looks like the Miami boat show 28 Cig. in 1979, Whats the hull number?

Is it the original Gelcoat?

Yes the original Gelcoat, it has lost some of its color on the bottom nothing to major, but I will be having redone over winter, but sides look excellent.

Crallscars 06-10-2013 08:08 AM

Your boat looks great, almost identical to mine.
Your exhaust raisers are SS tubing in stead of cast iron and sit much lower than mine, mine has 3 scoups across the back of the hatch. Have the manifolds or raisers been up dated? It looks like your exhaust tips are muffled, what kind of tips are you using?
Mine come right off the risers to stainless tips with the ends cut off at a 45, look fine but pretty noisy.

Yamaha24 06-10-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Crallscars (Post 3940010)
Your boat looks great, almost identical to mine.
Your exhaust raisers are SS tubing in stead of cast iron and sit much lower than mine, mine has 3 scoups across the back of the hatch. Have the manifolds or raisers been up dated? It looks like your exhaust tips are muffled, what kind of tips are you using?
Mine come right off the risers to stainless tips with the ends cut off at a 45, look fine but pretty noisy.

Mine also has 3 scoops I just had them covered with the new vinyl, before I had the interior redone the last 4" of the scoops could be seen, but now they are hidden,I prefer them to be hidden.

The exhaust was on the boat when I bought, at the very minimum at least 12 years old,it is a Key marine exhaust I do not believe they are called that anymore, or if they even make exhaust anymore.My boat is also quit noisey, those do not muffle anything that I can tell...

Post a pic of yours if you can.

MrCIG 06-10-2013 12:51 PM

Looks great!!!!!

MF 06-13-2013 02:15 AM

Cool Boat, Looks Great !

sprink58 06-13-2013 06:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the "Old Boat Nut Club". I know how passionate we can get about these things:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502546[/ATTACH]

I'll have about $30K in this old '79 Formula 255 Liberator soon. Not hard to do when you re-power and restore. I converted to Bravo so you know what I went thru....love the 28...LOVE IT. the rush you will get when people who know run across a marina parking lot to pay tribute makes it all worth while...plus it brings back priceless memories.

I came across this in my old ad collection...thought you would enjoy it:

[IMG]http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps2d65cfda.jpg[/IMG]

Stay tuned...we're trying to puttogether a "NE 188th Street" annual reunion down here...you and the 28SS would be a welcome addition.:evilb:

Thanks for sharing.

Wet Bowtie 06-13-2013 10:18 AM

She's lookin great ! ,keep up the good work.

salty dog 06-13-2013 07:30 PM

She is bad to the bone ,classic lines on her remember the old jesse lames was a 28 ss prior to the cat! congrats

yss 06-18-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha24 (Post 3919473)
This is my first post to this forum, I have been reading and browsing for years... Anyways I wanted to post a couple pics of my find, an all original 28ss. I grew up in the 28ss my Dad probably has owned roughly 5 over the years. The 28 has always been my favorite CIG, probably because I have so many great memories growing up in them.

Anyways the boat pictured below has been stored for last 12 years inside, the previous owner abandoned it and did not pay storage so the Marina took ownership. I have been going back and forth on buying this thing for the last 5 years. Finally pulled the pin and bought it. 16k out the door,to much for a boat I have never heard run I understand.But as I said all original so I really didn't care just wanted the boat.

I love the fact it is all original, I know this is not for everyone but I love it, original gel coat shines like new! All gages work no corrosion on any gauges, this boat was loved by the previous owner.Cabin was/is mint unbelievable shape.

Well what I had to do to this thing, is a lot more than I bargained for but
I am O.K. with it.
Boat has 370 horse 454's, key exhaust, pretty nice...had to rebuild both 1 engine had bent rod, other engine was built with flat top pistons where blown engine had domed pistons different valve springs ect.... Not the same engines LOL.
1 engine is done other engine will be done next week.

What's been done. I am doing all labor myself pulling engines ect....
Rebuild both engines $7200.00
Port engine gimbal bearing froze.
New bellows of course
Larger oil coolers for trannys.
Redid all cockpit interior, to original rolled and pleated.$3000.00
New stereo of course....
I will have approx 29k invested I know that is more than it is worth but finding one this original is all but impossible these days!! I know been looking for ever..... I live out on the chain, should be a perfect boat for out here.

Enjoy the pics I will post more soon I only have a couple at home with me, I will also post pics of it all complete clean with new interior as soon as I get them.

Also can anyone hook me up with an original center cap for steering wheel please?

Thanks for looking!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...pscb5edb6d.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3c9e3041.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/s...psbf93ff2a.jpg

Cool boat. I saw it in your driveway this morning and thought you may have bought Larry Fales' 79 black 28. I just happened to look at this thread and I realized you live across the lake from us and I was the guy that picked up someone on your dock Sunday. I apologize again for my friend trespassing and thank you for being understanding when we were explaining what we were doing.
There are a lot of old cigs on the chain. I'll see you around and buy you a beer.

Good luck with the new ride.

Bryan

Yamaha24 06-29-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by yss (Post 3945202)
Cool boat. I saw it in your driveway this morning and thought you may have bought Larry Fales' 79 black 28. I just happened to look at this thread and I realized you live across the lake from us and I was the guy that picked up someone on your dock Sunday. I apologize again for my friend trespassing and thank you for being understanding when we were explaining what we were doing.
There are a lot of old cigs on the chain. I'll see you around and buy you a beer.

Good luck with the new ride.

Bryan

Bryan,

Apology accepted.
Not going to lie that thru me for a loop seeing a stranger getting picked up on my dock........

Funny story,I am gong to look at Larry's old cigarette tomorrow, a friend of the family owns, most likely there will be two black 28ss's in my driveway by tomorrow afternoon.
If that happens I will pick my favorite one and sell the other very soon.

Stayed tuned..

FIXX 06-29-2013 09:44 PM

I know that boat! dennis macwell use to own it and it was named starship...reason that is had 2 different engines was because one engine injested water and kicked a rod out the side ..one of the exhaust headers were cracked so watch out for those things..anyhoo tony at a shop in addison il just put a bone stock 454 engine it it and it was a pooch and the other engine needed to be gone through..i detailed the boat years ago ...

24degrees 06-30-2013 12:00 PM

Nice to see a 28 done correct and original....cool boat...:)

yss 07-03-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha24 (Post 3951233)
Bryan,

Apology accepted.
Not going to lie that thru me for a loop seeing a stranger getting picked up on my dock........

Funny story,I am gong to look at Larry's old cigarette tomorrow, a friend of the family owns, most likely there will be two black 28ss's in my driveway by tomorrow afternoon.
If that happens I will pick my favorite one and sell the other very soon.

Stayed tuned..

Cool. Larry took great care of that boat and last time I saw it (last year) it was in excellent shape. I almost bought it before I bought my Cig. Good luck.

boatnt 07-03-2013 06:46 PM

Last time I saw Larrys boat was front of the Port for sale,2-3 summers ago,around 24k,,,looked good from the road but up close it showed its age and pretty much a leave and drive as is or restore the complete boat..

Yamaha24 07-08-2013 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by FIXX (Post 3951270)
I know that boat! dennis macwell use to own it and it was named starship...reason that is had 2 different engines was because one engine injested water and kicked a rod out the side ..one of the exhaust headers were cracked so watch out for those things..anyhoo tony at a shop in addison il just put a bone stock 454 engine it it and it was a pooch and the other engine needed to be gone through..i detailed the boat years ago ...

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Both engines run excellent right now very solid and "safe".
BUT... I wished I would have thought about this a little more before the rebuild, right now I am running 65-67,
Not exactly happy with that already making my winter list, which will definitely include upgraded steering system desperately needed. The exhaust system will be replaced also, there will be engine work involved I am working with someone on this now.

I know I am putting more into this boat than I probably should. I really do enjoy the boat.

Yamaha24 07-08-2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by boatnt (Post 3953464)
Last time I saw Larrys boat was front of the Port for sale,2-3 summers ago,around 24k,,,looked good from the road but up close it showed its age and pretty much a leave and drive as is or restore the complete boat..

I decided I did not need two 28 cigarettes, I have yet to see one as clean as the one I own now, only hull work boat needs is top side, deck area, all above rub rail, bottom could use a little attention, but could stay the way it is. My cockpit area is all excellent especially with the new interior and carpet, the teak cleaned up excellent.
I like the old school look, i know it is not for everybody, I like the fact that all my gauges are original nice and work excellent.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the new boats also, if I did not own this it would most likely be a 32 Fountain.