Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   39 TGU capsized off Kelly's Island in Lake Erie (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/297114-39-tgu-capsized-off-kellys-island-lake-erie.html)

QuarterFlash 05-28-2013 09:27 AM

39 TGU capsized off Kelly's Island in Lake Erie

Anyone have any more info on this? Video looks like one lower unit is dragging. ODNR trying to determine why boat sank | Sandusky Register

seafordguy 05-28-2013 09:50 AM

Whoa. Is that the boat from the member on here who had the thread about building it new??

32Envision 05-28-2013 02:37 PM

Nope, it wasn't the red one with 700's and 6's that we saw the build thread on.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-one-hurt.html
- This link talks more about it

Full Force 05-28-2013 02:59 PM

According to a few pals that know him, everyone is thinking Mech. failure at the moment but nothings in stone, he was doing approx. 45 ish I was told, and NOT DRINKING..

I guess we will find out more soon...

CIG3 05-29-2013 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not saying this is what happended, but don't you think Cigarette would fix their bottom design to reduce the risk instead of just slapping a sticker on the thing to cover their ass from being sued.

I'm a Cigarette guy thru and thru. I've owned 3 non-stepped cigs in my day and would never own one post 1999.

Full Force 05-29-2013 10:23 AM

Other brands spin out also I think you hear more about cig and even fountains since there are many more of them then other brands...and with boat prices dropping there is gonna be more younger owners out there then ever....

BraceYourself 05-29-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CIG3 (Post 3933131)
I'm a Cigarette guy thru and thru. I've owned 3 non-stepped cigs in my day and would never own one post 1999.

I had your thinking at one time. Own a stepped cig and you'll never own a straight bottom again. Stepped cigs are faster and a better ride. Problem is you can't turn them at speed. I never found this to be a problem. They're long skinny boats, the inherint nature is to go straight.
When the straight bottom cigs struggle to go 80 the stepped boats with 525's do it with ease. So the straight bottom boats are just not running the same speeds for the same amount of time. Meaining I had a straight bottom 39cig that struggled to go 83mph with 900's and 4's, I rarely went top speed due to the wear and tare. Then I had a stepped 42 tiger with 525efi and rarely ever went anywhere under 80, it just did it effortlessly.
This boat either had a mechanical failure, or the driver banked a hard turn at speed.

jmackin 05-29-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by CIG3 (Post 3933131)
Not saying this is what happended, but don't you think Cigarette would fix their bottom design to reduce the risk instead of just slapping a sticker on the thing to cover their ass from being sued.

I have a 2000 tg with straight bottom but has the newer cockpit w/ elect cabin door, full cabin, etc. I agree totally.

bigfarmer 05-29-2013 08:28 PM

This is the boat here... i was on the orange and yellow one during the run ended up going in to guardian mode due to low water psi (trimmed to high)

cigarette boats racing at LEOPA thunderfest 2010 - YouTube

runafever 05-30-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 3933218)
I had your thinking at one time. Own a stepped cig and you'll never own a straight bottom again. Stepped cigs are faster and a better ride. Problem is you can't turn them at speed. I never found this to be a problem. They're long skinny boats, the inherint nature is to go straight.
When the straight bottom cigs struggle to go 80 the stepped boats with 525's do it with ease. So the straight bottom boats are just not running the same speeds for the same amount of time. Meaining I had a straight bottom 39cig that struggled to go 83mph with 900's and 4's, I rarely went top speed due to the wear and tare. Then I had a stepped 42 tiger with 525efi and rarely ever went anywhere under 80, it just did it effortlessly.
This boat either had a mechanical failure, or the driver banked a hard turn at speed.

Yes thank you. Not a lot of people get that .