Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Question about mounts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/301777-question-about-mounts.html)

Conquistador 08-20-2013 06:50 PM

Question about mounts

I bought a 1987 Top Gun with no engines but the racing engine and transmission mounts are there. How do you mount the rear mounts so that the top mount starters are still the correct distance from the flywheels when the mount would add about 1/4"? Do the bell housings have to be shaved down or something else done? Thanks, Bill

FIXX 08-20-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Conquistador (Post 3980294)
I bought a 1987 Top Gun with no engines but the racing engine and transmission mounts are there. How do you mount the rear mounts so that the top mount starters are still the correct distance from the flywheels when the mount would add about 1/4"? Do the bell housings have to be shaved down or something else done? Thanks, Bill

Bill,you need to measure the bell housing first to make sure they have not been snhaved..you need to take offf .250 and then move the starter ring from the front side to the back side of the flywheel..you will also need the longer doll pins,,summit lls them,,look up ones for a 4 speed scatter shields

Conquistador 08-21-2013 12:05 PM

If .25" is taken off the bell housings (if possible) then the starter would be the same distance from the flywheel as if the rear mount were not there. So why would you also move the ring gear on the flywheel?

Zero Patience 08-22-2013 05:21 AM

Merc made two different bell housings. One for rear mounts, one for no rear mount. You can find the right ones used. If going from a bottom mount starter flywheel, to a Top mount starter location, the ring gear must be moved to the opposite side of the flywheel. That's a tough lesson to learn if the engine has been installed already.:poopoo:

Conquistador 08-22-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Patience (Post 3981289)
Merc made two different bell housings. One for rear mounts, one for no rear mount. You can find the right ones used. If going from a bottom mount starter flywheel, to a Top mount starter location, the ring gear must be moved to the opposite side of the flywheel. That's a tough lesson to learn if the engine has been installed already.:poopoo:

Thank you ZP! I thnk it would be to my advantage to find the correct bell housings instead of modifying mine. Bill

Unlimited jd 08-22-2013 05:25 PM

Before you cut or buy anything measure what you have. I have had the bell housings that were not cut come out of boats working fine with rear plates.

Rick G 08-22-2013 09:38 PM

The other thing that is done is to mount a high torque small starter in the stock location on the block and you don't to worry about shaving or spacing issues.
RG.