Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Top Gun Compass (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/317562-top-gun-compass.html)

twinscrews 09-03-2014 07:50 AM

Top Gun Compass

The compass on my boat has gone bad, (04) and I would like to put something else in it's place. Has anyone ever taken there's out and replaced with something other than a compass, if so, what and pics would be nice. Not a real need for a compass with GPS. Thanks in advance

36Envision 09-03-2014 08:17 AM

I've seen some where it is removed & a plate is machined to fit over the hole with the Cigarette script or logo on the plate. That is what I'd try to do if I removed mine.

smokin' gun 09-03-2014 08:32 AM

Compass is an easy fix .. Most of them the diaphragm goes bad
Parts can be bought locally and refill it with mineral spirits

plumbers crack 09-03-2014 09:45 AM

My gps is not dash mounted. I was going to cut the hump out and get ,ew dash plate and flush mount my gps there. My compass is non functional, plus have another at nav station.

glassdave 09-03-2014 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i make these caps to update the dash. Eliminates compass and allows a better layout. Cut off the compass riser, remove the factory aluminum panels and it screws right on over the existing dash. :cool:

MrCIG 09-03-2014 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by smokin' gun (Post 4182170)
Compass is an easy fix .. Most of them the diaphragm goes bad
Parts can be bought locally and refill it with mineral spirits

You want to use Mineral oil not spirits

Mark

twinscrews 09-03-2014 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 4182262)
i make these caps to update the dash. Eliminates compass and allows a better layout. Cut off the compass riser, remove the factory aluminum panels and it screws right on over the existing dash. :cool:

Not sure what aluminum panels you are talking about, and looks as if you did glass work to make it look finished. That looks a whole lot better though, very nice.

Rick G 09-03-2014 02:13 PM

Bear in mind that in Canada the rules require that boats over a certain length require a compass , you may want to check your state or federal regulations to be sure you are legal without a compass . GPS only work if you have power .
Just a thought .
RG.

jmackin 09-03-2014 02:35 PM

I have an electronic compass in mine. Looks and works really good. use it al the time

glassdave 09-03-2014 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bino (Post 4182389)
Not sure what aluminum panels you are talking about, and looks as if you did glass work to make it look finished. That looks a whole lot better though, very nice.

the gauge panels, there should be two screw in panels that hold all the gauges. This cap covers all of that with no glasswork but you do need to do some wiring and stuff. Heres the raw panel