Flat bottom 38 cabin removal >

Flat bottom 38 cabin removal

Notices

Flat bottom 38 cabin removal

Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flat bottom 38 cabin removal

Ok I'm not planning on doing it but I'm curious if anyone has. Completely gutting the cabin... how much weight saved, how'd it effect handling, speed ect...
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well i am crazy enough to do it. cut mine out a couple of years ago. mrs baron sure is not impressed with that move, she thought it was the best part of the whole boat. she just hates that hot rod, the fact we have never sleep on it and only run it maybe 1 - 3 hours at any given time it seemed like the right thing to do. i would do it all over again in a second. i've been told that is takes 1,100 - 1,200lbs out, but i do not know for sure. i should of scaled what i took out. mine also had about 15 gallons of water/anti freeze in the water tank that i never knew was there so maybe another 100lbs not knowing what was really in it. we put another 300lbs back in it with 4 more bulkheads and re glassed the front liner bulkhead back in it. i would guess about 800lbs of savings after all of that. to think the bow is that much lighter now and i wondered if it would kite off big waves. by no means the case, the ride is so much better at speed and wave jumping, and it does not wiggle a bit. i have 3a's with 380 tabs and i run it trim wise just like before if not a little more trim to it. i would say speed wise maybe a couple of miles per hour?? but worth the ride difference. mine sitting next to a full cabin boat the deck is at least 8" if not 10" higher. just to make things better for sheri is i had to put hood scopes on this past year to clear the motors.so now i have takin the 2nd best thing off the boat, the sun pad. they just don't get offshore boats. rbesola i think you should do it to yours also. lol. if i had a upgraded membership i would post some pics of the project.

todd

Last edited by baronmarine; 10-13-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I thought about that too. Note to self: start looking for a house on PIB so I don't have to sleep on the docks.....
Old 11-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent checked back in a while. I'm not doing it to mine anytime soon but was curious how it effected things. Theres just so much to the cabins that has to weigh a bunch and considering how often I sleep on it got my mind wandering! Baronmarine send me a couple pics to [email protected] just out of curioustiy if you don't mind. I really want to see how it sits in the water too
Old 11-11-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the cabin out of mine since I bought it last year and experimeted using weights to simulate cabin material. Mine seems to porpoise a lot more at cruising speed requiring about 3 on the tabs in flat water to cruise but is about 2 mph faster at wot in flat water. Didn't seem to make much of a difference in 2 or 3 foot water so in my opinion it's not worth having out which is why mine is at a local shop right now getting the cabin reinstalled. I used about 400 pounds to simulate cabin weight and don't ask who I mean what I used cause I will never tell lol
Old 11-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by shepnic74
have had the cabin out of mine since i bought it last year and experimeted using weights to simulate cabin material. Mine seems to porpoise a lot more at cruising speed requiring about 3 on the tabs in flat water to cruise but is about 2 mph faster at wot in flat water. Didn't seem to make much of a difference in 2 or 3 foot water so in my opinion it's not worth having out which is why mine is at a local shop right now getting the cabin reinstalled. I used about 400 pounds to simulate cabin weight and don't ask who i mean what i used cause i will never tell lol
hopefully it was 3 or 4 "objects" and not one or two......
Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol was my wife her couple friends and my buddy jay probably was more than 400lbs but wanted to be conservative on the estimate as to not upset the chicks lol. Wasn't gonna say I used people as bow weight for my test cause I didnt want the safety lecture but I let them all know it could be a rough ride and had a spotter watching from the cockpit to let me know everyone was ok. We did two passes up river with the people in the bow then two passes without (dropped all but my wife at the dock)then we took it out to the lake and did the same in 2 or 3 foot waves. I don't run my boat at wot a lot and when I do it's only for a short time so a 2mph loss doesn't bother me much and in rough water I really didn't notice a difference and yes everyone came away from the rough water test with smiles. I was debating on whether to put a full cabin back in or just a half but for my style boating it actually is better to have a little more bow weight to make the boat cruise with less tab. Figured I would throw in a pic of my ballast weight cause this sight can always use more pics lol

Last edited by shepnic74; 11-11-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by baronmarine
well i am crazy enough to do it. cut mine out a couple of years ago. mrs baron sure is not impressed with that move, she thought it was the best part of the whole boat. she just hates that hot rod, the fact we have never sleep on it and only run it maybe 1 - 3 hours at any given time it seemed like the right thing to do. i would do it all over again in a second. i've been told that is takes 1,100 - 1,200lbs out, but i do not know for sure. i should of scaled what i took out. mine also had about 15 gallons of water/anti freeze in the water tank that i never knew was there so maybe another 100lbs not knowing what was really in it. we put another 300lbs back in it with 4 more bulkheads and re glassed the front liner bulkhead back in it. i would guess about 800lbs of savings after all of that. to think the bow is that much lighter now and i wondered if it would kite off big waves. by no means the case, the ride is so much better at speed and wave jumping, and it does not wiggle a bit. i have 3a's with 380 tabs and i run it trim wise just like before if not a little more trim to it. i would say speed wise maybe a couple of miles per hour?? but worth the ride difference. mine sitting next to a full cabin boat the deck is at least 8" if not 10" higher. just to make things better for sheri is i had to put hood scopes on this past year to clear the motors.so now i have takin the 2nd best thing off the boat, the sun pad. they just don't get offshore boats. rbesola i think you should do it to yours also. lol. if i had a upgraded membership i would post some pics of the project.

todd
Great post! Thanks for sharing the info.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 294 Posts

I’m in the process of starting this currently my liner has cracks and we don’t sleep much on it. Anyone have any pictures? I’d love to see them thanks !!!!