Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Please fuel system help need for whipples... >

Please fuel system help need for whipples...

Notices

Please fuel system help need for whipples...

Old 06-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please fuel system help need for whipples...

I'm trying to run the fuel lines for my motors, I'm using #10 lines, my problem is the valves on a cig, I have 2 fuel tanks each tank has 2 ports, one port is for the main fuel pickup, the other is a cross over pickup, I guess the cross over is for if one tank goes empty you can pickup fuel from the other tank...my question is has anyone eliminated the cross over and used those ports as returns to the tank, also the ports are 1/2 pipe with a 1/2 tube going down into the, cig reduced them down to 3/8 fittings and ball valves with #8 lines, should I of the 3/8 stuff and go to 1/2, or just pull the #8 fitting and put a #10 fitting and used the 3/8 ball valves and reducers.. [ATTACH=CONFIG]542093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542095[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542096[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542097[/ATTACH]by the way the motors are 509 3.3 whipplecharged EFIs... pics of your fuel system would be great also...thanks Joe
Attached Thumbnails Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120004.jpg   Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120006.jpg   Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120007.jpg  

Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120008.jpg   Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120011.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a looping system. Pull from tank thru filter hsg with 2 inputs. Any unused fuel goes out end of fuel rail down to a fuel cooler then back to the other filter input. I am not sure but I think as far as the coast guard is concerned they don't approve of a fuel return line to tank. Plus IMO it is not safe. Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:21 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure coast guard says to return fuel into the top of the tank. Hardin has these fittings for returnung fuel back into your fuel filler port.

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-16582...k-adapter.aspx

My engines are carb but I am using both tank ports to feed each engine. One goes to a mechanical pump, one to an electric pump per engine.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

You can also run it from end of fuel rail back to the other opening on the fuel filter bracket. Keeps fuel system only one line for ease of getting engine in and out.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 06-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts

This year I went Bypass regulator with one pick up/return per tank.
1/2" # 10 everything

Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
This year I went Bypass regulator with one pick up/return per tank.
1/2" # 10 everything

thanks everyone for the info, icdedppl do you have any ball valves in your setup to shut the fuel off if needed? I also have a by pass regulator on each motor, the whipple kit recommend you run the fuel back too the tank, but they also send you a fuel cooler to loop it through the cooler and back to the fuel/water filter if you cant get to the tank, all 4 ports in the tank have a 1/2 tube in them that goes to the bottom of the tank and they don't look like they come out, just thought if I return the fuel to one of the port in each tank is it going to aerate the fuel that's being picked up from the bottom of the feed tube.. also do I need to use the cross over, or can I just have one tank for one motor and one tank for the other one....

Rob how's your project coming along, are you dynoing your motors, I'm trying to get the guy that's working your stuff to dyno my motors, I think its Dave right, was waiting to here from him, but they told me he was out of town.

mmb I wish I would have seen them before I put my interior back together, I have to tear everything back apart to get to the hose to the fill and than its still questionable if I can get to them...

heres some pics of the return regs, and fuel lines[ATTACH=CONFIG]542109[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542110[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542111[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542112[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6070007.jpg   Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6070008.jpg   Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6070005.jpg  

Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6070002.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I don`t have any shutoffs or crossovers. Don`t see a need for it, each motor sucks individually from its own tank.
Your pickups don`t come out like mine? Mine only had one pickup per tank.

My returns just dumps at the top of the tank . The other option of using the cooler and a "t" at the fuel filter works fine too.
I`ve heard returning right at the pickup is no good but personally I don`t think it would be an issue... but I`m just an internet engine builder you might wanna ask the professionals, only they know best, noone else. pffft!

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 06-14-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like ICDEDPPL set up. The in-board pickup tube is a least an inch deeper in the tank than the out board you shouldn't have any aeration issues as the pump and filter will smooth the fuel flow out before it enters the fuel rail as the return side is low pressure. You can put the cooler on the return side as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I don`t have any shutoffs or crossovers. Don`t see a need for it, each motor sucks individually from its own tank.
Your pickups don`t come out like mine? Mine only had one pickup per tank.

No mine don't look like they come out, there not connected to the reducer bushing, if you click on this pic you can see the edge of them, don't know if there threaded in or welded on before they welded the tank together, and each port has a tube[ATTACH=CONFIG]542148[/ATTACH]

My returns just dumps at the top of the tank . The other option of using the cooler and a "t" at the fuel filter works fine too.
I`ve heard returning right at the pickup is no good but personally I don`t think it would be an issue... but I`m just an internet engine builder you might wanna ask the professionals, only they know best, noone else. pffft!
I might have to go the cooler route, got 2 with the kit, just wondering if I can come out he bottom of the reg, to the cooler, out of the cooler, to an open port on the water separator/filter before the pump...

And as far as the last statement, I guess I better not ask you any questions than about my AFR heads but for real this forum has got me not even wanting to fire these things up on even get the boat done and here's why...number 1 the AFR head thread, got AFR heads, #2 the Crane is not the parts for me thread, got Crane parts, #3 the L19 rod bolt thread, got L19 rod bolts, #4 CMI headers there going to leak, got CMI headers, #5 whipples make to much low end torque, got whipples, #6 we don't want talk about, motor oil, got the wrong stuff. And that's just the motors, now the drives, #7 XR drives are going to blow as soon as I touch the sticks, #8 got the wrong drive oil.. and as for the boat itself, #9 its a Cigarette Mystique, also known to some as the Mistake, its going to porpoise so bad that I got to put 6ft long trim tabs on the back, or I will be ejected, #10 its a NON T/S haul so that means its going to be as slow as a harbor tug boat, now the towing package, #11 my truck is NOT a Freightliner toy hauler, or a DRW truck, it is a short bed, but on the plus side it is a 2500 with a duramax, but according to the forum I'm probably still going to crash and burn, #12 my trailer is Aluminum I beam, it just plain junk, and its going to turn to dust as soon as it touches salt water, again according to the board, and last, but I'm sure not least, 13# bad number to end with by the way, I have NO drive guard, so little 100 year old granny probably is going to crash into me and snap off my 6ft long trim tabs, and my junk XR drive, before I even have the chance to get ejected, or grenade my junk XR drives... boy lucky me, that was a close one... that's my take on my boat after reading this forum all the time, maybe I'll just sit around drinking cocktails, and talking about how fun it would be to use and how pretty it is, or better yet I'm just going to donate the whole dam thing to Boat Angel...
Attached Thumbnails Please fuel system help need for whipples...-p6120009.jpg  

Last edited by tcwcar; 06-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

If #9 had been #1 you could have named your boat "First Mistake". Oh well....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.