Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   39 2008 TG . Old Tommy Gun boat. Any body have the skinny on this boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/344437-39-2008-tg-old-tommy-gun-boat-any-body-have-skinny-boat.html)

blewsmoke 02-04-2017 04:51 AM

39 2008 TG . Old Tommy Gun boat. Any body have the skinny on this boat?

Looking to maybe do a deal on this boat, but have picked up some not so glowing information on the boat from sources on OSO. Questions about the true hours on the boat? Boat was over sea's for awhile? Has lived a significant amount of its time in salt? Boat has 200 hrs on one motor and 298 on the other. Know one ECM has been replaced? Mercury says those things don't go bad very often. Trying to avoid another project boat as I purchased my current 38 last year and immediately had to put brand new motor's in it. Just looking for info on the boat. Is it a take, or cubic zirconia dressed up as a diamond?

Thanks,

JaayTeee 02-04-2017 06:45 AM

If you toss out a shorted IAC motor frying the ECM, then no, they don't go bad very often.

bajaholic 02-04-2017 08:43 AM

The boat spent most of it's life at LOTO, Then went over seas, then back. IT was a very nice boat, one of my personal favorites, The original Owner is on OSO or you could call him direct, PM me if you want his info. He has talked about the boat since he sold it and should be able to fill you in on what the current condition etc is.

I have not personally seen the boat in the last year or so, but it is/was definitely a Diamond.

Sydwayz 02-04-2017 08:51 AM

As with just about any boat of these calibers, I would not buy it without a thorough survey, as well as a mechanical inspection to include:
-Removing and checking the headers for leaks; as well as checking appropriate areas of engine where header leaks cause havoc
-Leak down tests
-Compression tests
-If possible, borescope of the blowers and other accessible areas (also into seawater sides of cooling system looking for corrosion; and be sure to quick inspections inside the heat exchangers as well)

228 hours with 175 hours at idle is a lot different...
than 228 hours with 175 hours over 5000 rpm.
And if you are unsure of what the PCM hour readouts will tell you, visual inspection is your best bet.

blewsmoke 02-05-2017 07:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 4525943)
As with just about any boat of these calibers, I would not buy it without a thorough survey, as well as a mechanical inspection to include:
-Removing and checking the headers for leaks; as well as checking appropriate areas of engine where header leaks cause havoc
-Leak down tests
-Compression tests
-If possible, borescope of the blowers and other accessible areas (also into seawater sides of cooling system looking for corrosion; and be sure to quick inspections inside the heat exchangers as well)

228 hours with 175 hours at idle is a lot different...
than 228 hours with 175 hours over 5000 rpm.
And if you are unsure of what the PCM hour readouts will tell you, visual inspection is your best bet.

Thank you

pm203 02-05-2017 12:29 PM

Most "overseas boats" that I have seen, are used hard, put away wet, and are in less than average condition.

thisistank 02-05-2017 04:41 PM

True story ^^^^^^^^^

omerta one 02-05-2017 09:45 PM

Blewsmoke - clean out your inbox. When I sold it it had about 150 hours on it. I put it up for sale after the Miami to Bimini race in 2010. I know the boat had 1 Stbd. ECU go out when I had it and a second ECU went out after it went to Turkey because I sold the repaired one to the guy thru Lip-Ship. I don't know which engine, Phil may remember, but that's all I know about engine, tranny, drive issues. I had the ECU's reflashed by Whipple, Stage 2 upgrades, but the air cleaners were swapped back out for stock ones before I sold it. Did you check the hours gauges under the dash as compared to the Smartcraft? It has new cabin, cockpit and hatch upholstery which is different than the original. I don't know what else was done to it after it came back. I'm pretty sure new exhaust.

otis311 02-06-2017 08:27 AM

Whats up Tommy ? are you still boating ?? havent seen you in ages That TG was an awesome boat

blewsmoke 02-06-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 4526291)
Blewsmoke - clean out your inbox. When I sold it it had about 150 hours on it. I put it up for sale after the Miami to Bimini race in 2010. I know the boat had 1 Stbd. ECU go out when I had it and a second ECU went out after it went to Turkey because I sold the repaired one to the guy thru Lip-Ship. I don't know which engine, Phil may remember, but that's all I know about engine, tranny, drive issues. I had the ECU's reflashed by Whipple, Stage 2 upgrades, but the air cleaners were swapped back out for stock ones before I sold it. Did you check the hours gauges under the dash as compared to the Smartcraft? It has new cabin, cockpit and hatch upholstery which is different than the original. I don't know what else was done to it after it came back. I'm pretty sure new exhaust.

Will do, I will reach out to you and get a call with you soon. Thanks for all the info!!!