Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Anchor locker (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/350174-anchor-locker.html)

ICDEDPPL 10-06-2017 10:53 AM

Anchor locker

7 Attachment(s)
We anchor A LOT.
This should have been a factory option IMOP. Getting people to move to get under the rear bench, dragging it up and down the sides/bow. Draging mud into the boat .. I got tired of that noise.

Attachment 571298

Attachment 571299

Attachment 571300

First attempt

Attachment 571301

Attachment 571302

Attachment 571303

Attachment 571304

ICDEDPPL 10-06-2017 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While I was in there made use of the useless docking lights , now they`re navigation lights.

Attachment 571305

F-2 Speedy 10-06-2017 11:24 AM

nice job on both..........:champs:......man I'd of been all puckered up cutting a big Azz hole in my boat....lol

Padraig 10-06-2017 11:57 AM

Very nice and I like how you secure the anchor.

Padraig

MullenTJ86 10-06-2017 12:19 PM

Wow! What a great idea and looks awesome. Beats the old lifejacket and shirts I wrap around mine and store in the fwd anchor locker.

frickstyle 10-06-2017 01:23 PM

Love it, very tempted to do this....

thisistank 10-06-2017 02:40 PM

That's bad azz! Nice work.

Have you run the boat yet?

Id just be concerned about the weight way up at the bow. I stored our anchor in the bow storage once, noticeable ride difference with the weight of the chain and anchor that far forward. Went back to storing it under the rear seat.

Full Force 10-06-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4586564)

Half the reason I hate to go to beach unless Ron goes and anchors first, you were with me that day on mine setting anchor, IT SUCKS!!! Thx for doing that BTW lol

Full Force 10-06-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 4586570)

Id just be concerned about the weight way up at the bow. I stored our anchor in the bow storage once, noticeable ride difference with the weight of the chain and anchor that far forward. Went back to storing it under the rear seat.

I doubt its noticeable, I have a 20 or 30 gallon water tank up front, boat rides the same either way I cannot ell difference from empty to full.

Full Force 10-06-2017 03:31 PM

Very cool Dan, for sure creative idea... not sure I can cut that in my boat, takes balls LOL

outonsafari 10-06-2017 03:42 PM

very nice, very good idea,
have any more pics of how you made and installed it ?
is it a tub underneath, water drain overboard ?

when will the kits be on ebay ?

frickstyle 10-06-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4586577)
I doubt its noticeable, I have a 20 or 30 gallon water tank up front, boat rides the same either way I cannot ell difference from empty to full.

I think Guns are probably more sensitive to weight distribution than a Mistress I notice big differences on fuel level they way the boat reacts to trim, etc.

Tank, these new aluminum anchors weigh almost nothing, a short chain and lighter rope may not be too much to make a difference. I'm talking about 25lbs, max.

ICDEDPPL 10-06-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 4586570)

There`s 2 memory foam mattresses, wood filler piece for the couches, blankets, pillows, hair dryers, clothes for 4 ..etc etc up there probably 200 lbs of stuff a Fortress anchor shouldn`t make any difference.
I`ve taken the stuff out before and havent really noticed any difference.

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4586564)

You have Dave right by you , he`s done this before , could knock it no problem.

ICDEDPPL 10-06-2017 05:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by outonsafari (Post 4586581)
very nice, very good idea,
have any more pics of how you made and installed it ?
is it a tub underneath, water drain overboard ?

when will the kits be on ebay ?

I wanted my fiberglass guy to make a mold of the anchor holder (probably still could) but in the end they just covered my wood creation with fiberglass.

Attachment 571311

Then fiberglassed and gelled everything in from the inside and out . I`m putting a gasket around the whole thing , if any water gets in it just gets drained back to the bilge.

I was concerned about the thing coming down in rough water so I had em make some supports on the inside..

Attachment 571312

Attachment 571313

...and I left when they were cutting the hole in the boat I couldn`t watch :noevil:

Sydwayz 10-06-2017 05:22 PM

I'd be more concerned about it coming OUT in rough water, through or with the deck hatch.

ICDEDPPL 10-06-2017 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok Mr. Safety Officer that would be quite a feat.
I guess if 2 locking latches broke, the heavy duty rubber hood latch snapped, anchor somehow defied gravity and slipped out the yes there would be cause for concern.

I put a backing plate for the latches and a metal slot for them to hold onto

Attachment 571315

Attachment 571314

frickstyle 10-07-2017 06:44 AM

Give 'em the beans Dan-O

Small craft advisory today, let's go testing!

ICDEDPPL 10-07-2017 08:35 AM

Small craft advisory till Sunday night here also . . Kids have a 4 day weekend . Put in bay is looking warm weather wise but water is ugly for you guys too right?

frickstyle 10-07-2017 09:26 AM

No, come on over. F- it! Gonna see what Timmy the tank can do in 7fters!!!

....(yeah it's gonna be ugly...)

blown 10-07-2017 09:55 AM

This is awesome, have the same gripes myself about having to drag that anchor back and forth. Can you post some pics of the bow with the door to the anchor locker shut? Just curious how it looks buttoned up.

Zero Patience 10-08-2017 06:02 AM

Very nice work, big asset, well thought out.

kreed 10-09-2017 08:11 AM

Nice job. Man this boat has come a loooong way. You've done an A+ job on everything you've touched.... Is it going to be for sale this winter or have you decided to hold on to it....Either way, Nice job.

Sydwayz 10-09-2017 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4586596)
ok Mr. Safety Officer that would be quite a feat.
I guess if 2 locking latches broke, the heavy duty rubber hood latch snapped, anchor somehow defied gravity and slipped out the yes there would be cause for concern.

I put a backing plate for the latches and a metal slot for them to hold onto

I get it. But I've also seen folks SEVERELY injured by things coming off the bow in rough water.

1) Had a bow hatch come off in rough water that sliced the driver's head open. Someone had to wrap a shirt around his head and hold it from behind while they navigated the rest of their way to a safe port.
2) Had the windshield blow apart and sliced the driver's neck WIDE (and I mean WIDE) open, and he had to be evacuated by the USCG, while someone else drove the boat back to a safe port.

I just stating that it happens. And when it does, it's bad. I'm in the business of mitigating risk; in other words, I get paid to think about these type of things.

bikergja 10-09-2017 02:57 PM

Love the hatch

i wish my bullet had a anchor locker, it's a pain to anchor and I do that a lot. If someone is worried about the weight up forward, the fortress anchor is very light and if you don't use a chain which is probably heavier then the anchor, try a stainless cable to prevent chafing. The fortress will hold in most any condition.

ICDEDPPL 10-09-2017 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by blown (Post 4586686)
This is awesome, have the same gripes myself about having to drag that anchor back and forth. Can you post some pics of the bow with the door to the anchor locker shut? Just curious how it looks buttoned up.

Lots of griding fitting, grinding , fitting, tons of little adjustments. It wasn`t as easy as I thought it would be that's for sure .

Attachment 571382

Attachment 571383

Kreed, I had a nice offer this summer but I can`t bring myself to sell anymore.. everything is the way I want it, she ran like a champ all summer and there`s nothing out there that I would consider comparable in that price range .

strugglinToolSalesMan 10-09-2017 07:54 PM

That, is very cool...:ernaehrung004:

frickstyle 10-10-2017 07:00 AM

Sand those corners round (or does it expose the cut out edges?)

ICDEDPPL 10-10-2017 08:23 AM

That's a good idea. I was hoping for something a little more flush just not sure how to pull that off .

frickstyle 10-10-2017 11:34 AM

It's an awesome upgrade Dan.

Full Force 10-10-2017 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4587188)
That's a good idea. I was hoping for something a little more flush just not sure how to pull that off .

what about just moving and finishing the edges of the cut like a normal hatch would be like the floor of my boat I will send you a picture on Facebook

jmoore1225 10-10-2017 02:39 PM

Dare I say it? Look up a Fountain's anchor locker if you want an idea of how to make it flush.

Biff 10-13-2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4586538)
While I was in there made use of the useless docking lights , now they`re navigation lights.

Attachment 571305

Are those LEDs or did you change the lens color? More great work on an awesome boat!

ICDEDPPL 10-13-2017 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 4587801)
Are those LEDs or did you change the lens color? More great work on an awesome boat!

I drilled thru the light housing and put a led strip around the light

baronmarine 10-16-2017 09:04 PM

you crazy sob dan. man you have got a lot of energy!!! now let's recap, bow lift, bow lift, bow lift. you are going to need a big girl friend in the back seat to balance that house boat out. lmao! hope all is well. very well thought out. super cool idea.

todd

ICDEDPPL 10-23-2017 08:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Did some end of October boating/looking for my lost prop this weekend ... loving this weather .
Small craft advisory most of the day, got to test the set up, help up and worked fantastic. :drink:

Attachment 571744

Attachment 571745

Attachment 571746

Attachment 571747

baronmarine 10-24-2017 08:33 PM

hey dan

that is a great pic on the wall downtown. i can't even think how many time i've stood there & were you took the pic from & never see a hot rod in the river.

todd

Rhythm and Blues 10-24-2017 10:49 PM

NIce locker Daniel; missed this thread I guess. Question: when you designed the locker did you ever consider having the outboard edge of the hatch paralell the cap rail and put the hinges on the inboard side? It would have been slightly triangular in shape but the symmetry of paralleling the outter edge Imho would make it look more factory?

ICDEDPPL 10-25-2017 10:04 PM

Todd, we were at Dicks last resort across the way, try the ribs next time!

R&B are you saying opening it from the opposite side then leaning over and trying to pull the chain and anchor out? In testing that was really awkward.
I like your idea of the shape but remember there`s only so much space in the forward compartment to work with, also depth is an issue. The anchor has to be as close to the middle and back as possible (deepest spot ) otherwise it would not fit. As it is right now It`s about an inch from bottoming out .

Rhythm and Blues 10-25-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4590171)
Todd, we were at Dicks last resort across the way, try the ribs next time!

R&B are you saying opening it from the opposite side then leaning over and trying to pull the chain and anchor out? In testing that was really awkward.
I like your idea of the shape but remember there`s only so much space in the forward compartment to work with, also depth is an issue. The anchor has to be as close to the middle and back as possible (deepest spot ) otherwise it would not fit. As it is right now It`s about an inch from bottoming out .

I hear ya Dan. Maybe the hinges on the outboard side. Oh well, it's done now, looks good, and is incredibly functional.