cigarette top gun 38 virgin questions

Notices

cigarette top gun 38 virgin questions

Old 12-28-2017, 10:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
Something is deff wrong, i could run that boat up to 94mph everyday on 93 octane gas, What did you set the timing at? I was able to reach 97 mph the odd time in the right conditions. Those Trans have maybe 10 hours on them,1200 rpm is too high at an idle and you will eventually hurt the trans if shifting at that speed. Stalling was an issue at times when shifting with those engines, bumping the throttles during shifting helps. The engines are 589ci intercooled that Frank Mccomas from Scorpion Racing built which made over 1000hp on the dyno, not sure why you have to "trim them up to get it going"? tuck the drives in all the way and lower the tabs and give er it will get on plane no problem.....your most efficient speeds will be with the drives and tabs set on those little silver marks i put on the indicators. I could cruise at 70+mph around 4500 rpm.
I was wondering if that was your old boat..
Old 12-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Yeah, something's not right, or at least not setup ideal. Everything Big Farmer said jives with my setup too. I have to bump the throttles a little and need some carb adjustment for idle, just a reality with 18" dia props and carbed big blowers. Mine idle right around 1K, and in gear at about 700RPM, takes some getting used to docking and you WILL stall the boat out, especially when not warmed up or if they are loaded up from coming off plane after running/cruising. More seat time / carb adjustment and you should be just fine, and running 90+mph like BF said.

Like he said, put the 5s and boxes on, better yet 6s or Arnesons....
Old 12-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
Something is deff wrong, i could run that boat up to 94mph everyday on 93 octane gas, What did you set the timing at? I was able to reach 97 mph the odd time in the right conditions. Those Trans have maybe 10 hours on them,1200 rpm is too high at an idle and you will eventually hurt the trans if shifting at that speed. Stalling was an issue at times when shifting with those engines, bumping the throttles during shifting helps. The engines are 589ci intercooled that Frank Mccomas from Scorpion Racing built which made over 1000hp on the dyno, not sure why you have to "trim them up to get it going"? tuck the drives in all the way and lower the tabs and give er it will get on plane no problem.....your most efficient speeds will be with the drives and tabs set on those little silver marks i put on the indicators. I could cruise at 70+mph around 4500 rpm.
Hey Big Farmer, thanks for chiming in, we love the boat. Yeah mechanic thought it was odd. Didn't change the timing they said it was fine. I would have guessed they bumped the idle to get us thru the event. The only thing i can think of is the difference between fresh and salt water on the stalling issue. Once in gear its no problem just a little hesitant to bump the throttles whilst shifting. So solution was trim right up to take load of props to get into gear. Like others have said might just need more seat time.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Diesel
Congrats, Nice boat and power!!

I had also seen the video of the boat being wrapped, how well will the vinyl hold up on the bottom of the hull? I wrapped my previous boat and had some issues with the vinyl peeling around the corners at the transom, just curious how wrapping the bottom would hold up.
You did where did you see that?

It was only really temporary for the event we had. The hull is starting to peel right at the front now.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You adjust the carbs not switch props lol. 1200 is too high idle I think you need someone who knows how to tune carbs. Needs to be closer to 1000rpm neutral and 600-700 in gear.

Lower the idle and add fuel , if they are 4 corner idle adjustment start at 1 1/2 turns out
If really 1000hp and 70mph something is wrong .way wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2R0Ly41uvo
agreed 100%
EDIT: 2 minute rule... I should have read more..

BTW Crowfoot, boat looked amazing black!

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 12-28-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by crowfoot
You did where did you see that?

It was only really temporary for the event we had. The hull is starting to peel right at the front now.
I had seen it on Facebook, Gold Coast Wraps posted it!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:03 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I had seen it on Facebook, Gold Coast Wraps posted it!

https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastwr...0212089401431/
Facebook Link ^^ for some reason it wont show up unless I quote my post!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by crowfoot
Hey Big Farmer, thanks for chiming in, we love the boat. Yeah mechanic thought it was odd. Didn't change the timing they said it was fine. I would have guessed they bumped the idle to get us thru the event. The only thing i can think of is the difference between fresh and salt water on the stalling issue. Once in gear its no problem just a little hesitant to bump the throttles whilst shifting. So solution was trim right up to take load of props to get into gear. Like others have said might just need more seat time.

Careful trimming the drive up that high, you are putting a lot of stress on the gimbals. If you get a chance ask your mechanic what the timing was set at.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Facebook Link ^^ for some reason it wont show up unless I quote my post!
WOW! Thanks for the link. That thing came out beautiful with that wrap on. Those guys nailed it.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Crowfoot, your boss is an interesting guy!
Don't derail the topic, click below and keep it off this thread.
Candy Shop Mansion

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.