tiger fuel leak >

tiger fuel leak

Notices

tiger fuel leak

Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tiger fuel leak

I had a problem this week end when moving my boat and am wondering if anyone has had this happen before. I went to take my 02 Tiger to the gel coat shop and had to pull it down a fairly significant down grade to get it off my property. when I got on level ground, I found gas pouring out of the drain plug holes of the hull. After a short time it stopped and is not leaking now and I can not see where it came from, by looking anywhere inside of the boat. The tanks are almost full but I thought they are sealed. Does anyone have any idea where it might be coming from or have had this problem before?

Thanks for any help, Dave
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Oh so you bought that tiger that was in the classifieds. I spent a lot of time ogling that boat. Congrats....
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

You have a leak ! Be careful.

Only openings to the tanks are the fill and vents which are on the outside of the hull of course.

Be make sure to tell the GelCoat shop ! You don't want them to blow up either.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I did tell them and he is going to look into it for me. I am just sick thinking I might have to have a tank cut out of this thing, but it is not leaking now and has not leaked in the past. Puzzling?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd check the water separator if it's been in below freezing temps. You might have had enough water in it and cracked it
Old 01-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if it could be a loose hose clamp or degraded hose on the fill or feed lines from the tank and the extreme
angle highlighted the problem.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by SC288
I wonder if it could be a loose hose clamp or degraded hose on the fill or feed lines from the tank and the extreme
angle highlighted the problem.
Second that, or maybe the gaskets degraded on the pickup tubes/sending unit access hole, on top of the tank, accessible in the engine bay under the access cover? If it was full and boat tipped all the way "back", and "overfull" scenario may push fuel out these? I would eliminate the possibility of any connections leaking before jumping to the conclusion of a leaky fuel tank proper.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

1) Tiger fuel tanks can springs leaks. I know of two boats owned by OSO members that have needed their tanks replaced.
2) I think you are going to have to duplicate the issue that caused it, and look for the issue at the same time. You should be able to see if it was coming out of the top of the access holes on the back, or the fill nozzles (which you should be able to get access to).

How steep was that grade? Can you duplicate it by blocking the back of the trailer up in the air, and lowering the tongue briefly? Maybe just enough so that you can have a look see to see where you may have fuel "wet spot(s)".
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not trying to scare you, but I do know of another tiger in my area that had to have the tanks replaced years ago because of gas leaking into the bilge. Not saying this is the case with yours.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mice? They chew through hoses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.