Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Dock roof height for 35' or 38' Cig.?? >

Dock roof height for 35' or 38' Cig.??

Notices

Dock roof height for 35' or 38' Cig.??

Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dock roof height for 35' or 38' Cig.??

[Question]
What is the height needed for a 35' or 38' TG to clear the roof, while on a lift? I'm looking for two measurements. First being highest point (wind screen?) to surface of water and second from deck (top near bow) to surface of water.

[Overview]
I plan to purchase a 35' or 38' Cigarette. However, I need to modify a dock slip. I'm considering my 10' x 32' slip, install a 12,000 lb, 6-arm, back-in (DD) PolyLift. With this setup, the bow will extend out of the slip a few feet, and be underneath the entry point/roof.

Here at LOTO, the dock & lift receive water action, so I would like to ensure I have enough clearance.

Thanks!

Jamie
Old 09-16-2018, 12:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

There are dozens of Cigs at LOTO on Polylifts. Best to just go measure yourself.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwforbes
[Question]
What is the height needed for a 35' or 38' TG to clear the roof, while on a lift? I'm looking for two measurements. First being highest point (wind screen?) to surface of water and second from deck (top near bow) to surface of water.

[Overview]
I plan to purchase a 35' or 38' Cigarette. However, I need to modify a dock slip. I'm considering my 10' x 32' slip, install a 12,000 lb, 6-arm, back-in (DD) PolyLift. With this setup, the bow will extend out of the slip a few feet, and be underneath the entry point/roof.

Here at LOTO, the dock & lift receive water action, so I would like to ensure I have enough clearance.

Thanks!

Jamie
The standard height for a slip is equal to the width: 10 wide x 10 high; My 39 was about 6 feet tall (above the dock) to the windscreen on a poly lift.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Height shouldn't be a problem but a 38 TG with a swim platform will be sticking way the heck out from underneath a 32' slip. Might have to install a blue light on the nose!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Height shouldn't be a problem but a 38 TG with a swim platform will be sticking way the heck out from underneath a 32' slip. Might have to install a blue light on the nose!
Ha!, yeah.....I'm installing a back-in lift, so to protect mainly from rain collection.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
The standard height for a slip is equal to the width: 10 wide x 10 high; My 39 was about 6 feet tall (above the dock) to the windscreen on a poly lift.
Thank you for the measurements. With this information, there should be plenty of room for lift vs. dock movement. I may also install 'stop tabs' on the lift arm(s) to limit the upward movement as to prevent any possibility of the boat's deck from hitting the dock's roof at the entry point to the slip.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be sure to double-check with the lift guys and the dock guys. 38' Cig in a 10x32 slip will be tight width-wise and likely 10'+ sticking out the end. Also, the lift eats up some of the width. My 17k galva back-over in a 12' slip has only about 9'8" between the pitman arms.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Registered

Yeah depending where your dock is located the Ameren/Water Patrol may have an issue with that much boat sticking out. That is why I joked about the blue light on the bow. At night what would be lit up as the end of the dock would not properly indicate how much hard surface you have to avoid.

From the Ameren site. Might save you some headaches down the road.

The maximum boat slip size shall not exceed 55 feet in length for residential permits and 60 feet for commercial (marina) permits. Any watercraft moored within slips permitted after March 30, 2008 shall not extend beyond the mouth of the slip.

https://www.ameren.com/missouri/lake...k-requirements

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 10-11-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yeah depending where your dock is located the Ameren/Water Patrol may have an issue with that much boat sticking out. That is why I joked about the blue light on the bow. At night what would be lit up as the end of the dock would not properly indicate how much hard surface you have to avoid.

From the Ameren site. Might save you some headaches down the road.

The maximum boat slip size shall not exceed 55 feet in length for residential permits and 60 feet for commercial (marina) permits. Any watercraft moored within slips permitted after March 30, 2008 shall not extend beyond the mouth of the slip.

https://www.ameren.com/missouri/lake...k-requirements
OP, call poly lift. I see that green and red 38 top gun with “poly lift” on the front running around all the time. They will have the measurements.

As for the slip length limit, what do they do with the 55ft+ cruisers that I’ve seen out there? Slip can’t be bigger than 55ft and it can’t stick out, yet boats larger are out there.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 AM
Registered

I'm just saying sticking that much boat in that little slip might open you up to some issues down the road whether it be neighbors hassling you to possible litigation if someone takes their head off on the bow in the middle of the night. I'd think twice about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.