Help me understand gun pricing

Notices

Help me understand gun pricing

Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
BBYSTWY , I run a 1995 Cig flat deck with 605 cu with naturally aspirated motors that put out approx 725 horses . It has number 5 drives and will run 76mph . With a bit of tweaking it shd hit eighty . I have had Formula's and big Scarab's this bost is by far the most fun . I will agree it is all about the cruise and not the top speed . If you find a solid older cig with decent power and SSM drives and don't beat on it you will find that they will give you a lot of years pleasure with minimal grief . Other than routine maintenance i really haven't spent a lot of dough on it in the past 3/4 years .There was a thread on here a few years back discussing the pros and cons of stepped and non stepped hulls and I think the science proved that stepped hulls were only about 10 % faster on flat water and no real advantage in big water . The other big contributing factor was reduced weight due to improved construction methods . ( but lighter boats don't crush waves like big old resin buckets did think 41 Apache) What got lost in this discussion is that although the newer stepped hulls are more efficient and may cost less to operate is it worth playing 100k more and how much better off will you be in the long run . It is an interesting discussion though I always seem to learn new things here all the time . Cheers RG.
I agree with this, I prefer older layup and I am MORE then happy with my SSM equipped gun, you can find some real nice flat decks and some older guns for 70-100,000 less and still have a lot of reliable fun, now if you want modern power and styles, the T/S is the way, I am not that into "modern boats" myself, I prefer classics. the ride between and SSM flat deck/Gun and a 525 Bravo T/S is not even close to the same,
Old 04-28-2019, 07:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy

92 Kevlar TG Smith power 540's and #5's......my old boat pretty sure its still for sale. if you're serious about buying a TG you need to have the cash in hand to make the deal
I love that boat, I almost grabbed it way back when with no power.... such a nice ride.no expense spared.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Being as you're in ohio...I saw a white one with green and gold on it on boat trader I think...I'll try to get a link to it..know anything about it?? I realize ohio is a big state but figured I'd ask lol
Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1...ource=standard listing

this one...its even in Marblehead
Old 04-28-2019, 08:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

or even better this one...6's, power, nice trailer....hmmmmm

nevermind...this is the one with the silly lease to own terms...F that!!!

Last edited by BBYSTWY; 04-28-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
hahaha I guess that's true....so hypothetically if a boats listed for say 165k...what's a good starting point...100? 110? assuming its as the one listed before 01 T/S with wore out 500's or 525's?? Just trying to gain some knowledge in that area as well if something were to pop up..don't want to insult anyone but at the end of the day a boat that needs a lot of work should go for a lot cheaper than that I would think?
avg rule of thumb is most people list at 20-25% more than what they want. in the car industry where used cars sell way faster than new, and depending on what needs to be done to a car to sell it inspected or ready for inspection the margins are much thinner so they need to push volume, unless a dealer has someone that really wants an item on their lot and they can undervalue a trade most used cars are 3-5k in profit, if that at times. then the longer it sits its on a floor plan so it costs money daily. now when it comes to boats they only need to pass a general survey, it rare when you are going to be 100% in love with a boat, there will always be something you want to change or upgrade. there is nothing wrong with looking at a boat that you know is overpriced and saying you understand why it is priced as such, however thats more than you want to pay for it, if they really want to move it they will ask what you were thinking, offer less than where you want to be so you can move up if needed. it called a negotiation. if anyone gets upset they lose out.. I wont throw out a low ball number, that's just a dick/insulting move,
Old 04-28-2019, 08:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

No I get that...and like I said I would never throw out a crazy low offer like I was talking about earlier in the thread...it was just an example of where do you start on something like this...that's why I'm not good at negotiating because I see a price and I'm like well it's probably not worth all that and I never even call to talk about it haha...trust me I would never try insulting someone that has something I want!!

Thanks for the info!! some good info to think about
Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Really like the all white of this one...however the POP yachts scares me as I've read nothing but bad about them
Old 04-28-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

If you’re looking for something with a decent cabin, want to run good speeds and don’t want monster power, I would look at these, all stepped, efficient, and fuel injected with merc power:

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ed-o72789.html

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ci-o75132.html

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...00-o74404.html

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...dard%20listing

Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Was looking at both tigers and the OL...the OL is in Canada so I think that's out right away...seems like a headache to get one across the border and I would have to get on a tiger and make sure the cockpit and layout are useable for me...never even seen one much less been on one lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.