Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Arneson/cig (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/361215-arneson-cig.html)

Metalguy38 06-13-2019 06:56 PM

Arneson/cig

I’ve been doing some research and haven’t found much info on ASD’s pushing Top Gun’s. If I’m missing this info (new to OSO), please post link(s) and I’ll delete.

I’ve got a 89’ Kevlar Gun. Straight bottom, notched. Currently have Merlin 588 with blowers making 850 with Huber’s and #3’s. I missed the lake race and now the Rendevous with a drive down waiting on a gear set. I do not want to make a habit of this... Arnesons?

Boat stays on a lift at LOTO so trailering isn’t a big concern as it will only come home for winter.

Anyone got pics/videos of similar set ups running ASD?

I have reached out to Rik, just thought I’d get some input from other cig owners. What are the options? What works, what doesn’t?

Thanks,
Bill

frickstyle 06-14-2019 06:30 AM

I was talked out of this option, and directed towards putting on 6s. I ended up with 5s (the most affordable option).

If I did it all over again, I would have done the Arnesons. Rik will be able to tell you the proper setup and there have been more than a few older Guns with Arnesons. I believe someone around here (Erie? Buffalo?) has the drill jig with the proper setup location you would need (this is going back years, but again, I think Rik can help you). He's a super nice guy willing to help anyone who's interested in the package.

If you're serious about keeping the boat, I would do the Arnesons. Good luck, and keep us posted (build thread) if you do it.

Oh yeah, double check how they work with the notch, and being even with the bottom. I run 18" props even, or -1" below running surface and getting on plane can be touchy. I also have boxes which put them pretty far back, but mine could be a leverage issue. It would be good to know what the weight difference is between boxes & #5s vs. Arnesons. There are a couple running around up here in Erie/Sandusky area, if I run into them, I will ask about setup.

Rik 06-14-2019 11:09 AM

What does a #5 weigh?

frickstyle 06-14-2019 11:57 AM

No clue, but I bet with everything and 12" boxes... 325#? (I didn't include trannies because you use those anyways w/ Arneson, correct?)

Rik 06-14-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4691833)
No clue, but I bet with everything and 12" boxes... 325#? (I didn't include trannies because you use those anyways w/ Arneson, correct?)

Wellllll... No...

Why? If your transmissions are plug in then no, if they are drive line then yes as we use a short coupled drive line that I make to fit the transmission and drive line inside our standoff box. Can't use a plug in transmission for a drive line setup and Berman tells me it cost more to convert a plug in to a drive line than a drive line transmission cost.. ??? Some things make no sense to me...

With transmission we are 297 lbs a side.... Complete

We use a fraction of the HP that the Merc drive uses so that's more hp to the prop...https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...e11b4a983a.jpg

302Sport 06-15-2019 09:15 AM

Rik how about bigger cigs?? You ever put Arnesons on 42X, 46RR or 50 marauder?

Rik 06-16-2019 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 302Sport (Post 4691940)
Rik how about bigger cigs?? You ever put Arnesons on 42X, 46RR or 50 marauder?

Have a customer with a 42’Tiger..

None in the other cigarettes other than the 49’ cruiser that SKATER Designed for Skip. We ran 715hp Cummins in them. About 75 mph loaded.

seafordguy 06-16-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 4692055)

None in the other cigarettes other than the 49’ cruiser that SKATER Designed for Skip. We ran 715hp Cummins in them. About 75 mph loaded.

Any pics of the tiger? Sheer curiosity.....

302Sport 06-16-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 4692055)

How many of those 49’s were built?? I love those!!

Metalguy38 06-16-2019 04:33 PM

Anyone out there with years of experience having ASD on a cig?