Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   Cafe? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/362993-cafe.html)

Osage Drifter 09-17-2019 06:09 PM

Cafe?

First time posting...been following for many years. We still have a few good boating weeks left at LOTO and plans for next summer are in the works. We’ve only had family open bow boats and have been very loyal to Cobalt. Definitely want an older Cig for our first go fast, and leaning towards a Cafe. I’ve read about the tab issue’s, but don’t have a good understanding yet. Was this only the early ones or all of them. Any other build quality issues and tips in my search would be appreciated. Thanks

242LS 09-17-2019 06:39 PM

Great lines

I loved my Cafe. It was a tank. Great for battle, but slow. Twin 605HP and the best I ever saw was 69.8mph.

theblakeolson 09-17-2019 08:15 PM

I have one for sale. tank of a boat. can't beat the ride. 496 EFI's with 128 hours. 62mph.

Osage Drifter 09-18-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by theblakeolson (Post 4706851)
I have one for sale. tank of a boat. can't beat the ride. 496 EFI's with 128 hours. 62mph.

Assuming yours is the Texas one that I’ve seen pics of....love the clean graphics. Was your boat at or for sale in the ozarks a few years ago.....just remember the 496’s, but may have been a TG, though.

theblakeolson 09-18-2019 09:08 AM

Yes sir. thank you! I'm not sure if it was in LOTO or not at some point. I brought it to Texas from Cumberland. She's solid, and ready for a new home :)

CIG3 09-18-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Osage Drifter (Post 4706824)
First time posting...been following for many years. We still have a few good boating weeks left at LOTO and plans for next summer are in the works. We’ve only had family open bow boats and have been very loyal to Cobalt. Definitely want an older Cig for our first go fast, and leaning towards a Cafe. I’ve read about the tab issue’s, but don’t have a good understanding yet. Was this only the early ones or all of them. Any other build quality issues and tips in my search would be appreciated. Thanks

Some of the early Cafe's had tabbing issues where the stringers meet the transom and bulkheads. The tabbing was too short, only 1-2 inches. Any stress would pull the tabbing loose. Easy to see and most were recalled and fixed by Cigarette under warranty.

seafordguy 09-18-2019 09:12 PM

I thought it was a jig issue where the tab was drilled.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about this issue unless you are looking at a very early boat...

Mine is for sale as well in classifieds..... It's a boat that needs a little TLC although I think it's going to Dustin.

Rhythm and Blues 09-24-2019 09:57 PM

I think your talking about 2 different traits here. Tabbing referring to the joining of transverse to longitudinal frames. The other tab issue was not a cafe issue I dont think. I believe it was a 38 flatdeck or early gun issue. Just going from memory here..

Full Force 09-26-2019 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Osage Drifter (Post 4706824)

The tab issue is the lag into stringer, it can lead to rot easier, just something to look at, also the Strake was known to have in issue around helm, I do think it was mainly the early ones.. but just go over it well..

Rhythm and Blues 09-26-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Full Force (Post 4707991)
The tab issue is the lag into stringer, it can lead to rot easier, just something to look at, also the Strake was known to have in issue around helm, I do think it was mainly the early ones.. but just go over it well..

agreed, the 86 had that strake issue. I looked at one with it..