Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Cigarette (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette-32/)
-   -   How #6 vs NXT drives affect the value of a boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/363220-how-6-vs-nxt-drives-affect-value-boat.html)

ryanot1 10-02-2019 11:00 AM

How #6 vs NXT drives affect the value of a boat

Hope some of you can weigh in on something I've been wondering about...

Question: All things being equal on a 39 TGU, or 42X, with 700’s, what value increase would you put on it having #6’s vs NXT’s?

Example: If a 2009 39TGU with 700’s and NXT’s is valued at, or asking price, is $300k. What would the expected bump be if it had #6’s, instead?

Thanks!

Knot 4 Me 10-02-2019 11:18 AM

I'd also differentiate between a #6 boat with an NXT transmission vs. a real (BAM, etc.) transmission.

ryanot1 10-02-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 4708976)
I'd also differentiate between a #6 boat with an NXT transmission vs. a real (BAM, etc.) transmission.

Good Point. To that end, then, would the transmission maybe be more important than the drive? Would BAM Transmissions with NXT's be a better option than #6's with NXT transmissions?

F-2 Speedy 10-02-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ryanot1 (Post 4709053)
Good Point. To that end, then, would the transmission maybe be more important than the drive? Would BAM Transmissions with NXT's be a better option than #6's with NXT transmissions?

Its my understanding that the NXT tran's is shorter than all the others on the market, so its not a swap out, to do it the engines have to be moved forward and you can imagine what else has to change also. leave it to Merc to have another 1 off design so you have to buy their stuff.

ryanot1 10-02-2019 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy (Post 4709060)
Its my understanding that the NXT tran's is shorter than all the others on the market, so its not a swap out, to do it the engines have to be moved forward and you can imagine what else has to change also. leave it to Merc to have another 1 off design so you have to buy their stuff.

According to BAM's website, their transission for the 700's fit without moving the engines: "Our new kit allows the installation of our durable and proven Cyborg 1500 without moving the engine"

https://www.cyborgtransmissions.com/...yborgNEXT.aspx

F-2 Speedy 10-02-2019 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ryanot1 (Post 4709062)
According to BAM's website, their transission for the 700's fit without moving the engines: "Our new kit allows the installation of our durable and proven Cyborg 1500 without moving the engine"

https://www.cyborgtransmissions.com/...yborgNEXT.aspx

Im going to verify the info I was told, the boat was a Cig 42X that we were discussing, are your new kits something in the last few month's ? surely it wasn't the cocktails.....:drink:

ryanot1 10-02-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy (Post 4709066)
Im going to verify the info I was told, the boat was a Cig 42X that we were discussing, are your new kits something in the last few month's ? surely it wasn't the cocktails.....:drink:

:) I dont know. That quote was directly from their website. :ernaehrung004:

F-2 Speedy 10-02-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ryanot1 (Post 4709068)
:) I dont know. That quote was directly from their website. :ernaehrung004:

Back to your first post, wonder what the weight difference is between the #6 and NXT drives.

jbraun2828 10-02-2019 06:43 PM

I would say a number 6 boat should be worth about 10-15k more than a nxt boat. Keep in mind that all 39 cigs with 6’s came with nxt trannys. Mine has nxt’s and my best friend has had 2 number 6 boats. The number 6 boats get on plane way better and are faster, they just get through the water better. The nxt tranny gets a bad rap but they’re actually a pretty good unit. They have one little weak link but the gears will usually last as long as everything else. As far as the drives go, there’s no doubt the number 6 is a better drive. I blew apart a nxt at 165 hours but i don’t think that’s the norm. I sent both of mine to tnt for rebuilds and they said that’s the earliest they’ve seen one come apart. My other drive still looked perfect. Overall I think the nxt combo will usually make it to its service interval

blewsmoke 10-03-2019 08:57 AM

confused on that one Jason

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 (Post 4709079)
I would say a number 6 boat should be worth about 10-15k more than a nxt boat. Keep in mind that all 39 cigs with 6’s came with nxt trannys. Mine has nxt’s and my best friend has had 2 number 6 boats. The number 6 boats get on plane way better and are faster, they just get through the water better. The nxt tranny gets a bad rap but they’re actually a pretty good unit. They have one little weak link but the gears will usually last as long as everything else. As far as the drives go, there’s no doubt the number 6 is a better drive. I blew apart a nxt at 165 hours but i don’t think that’s the norm. I sent both of mine to tnt for rebuilds and they said that’s the earliest they’ve seen one come apart. My other drive still looked perfect. Overall I think the nxt combo will usually make it to its service interval

Been told that the NXT is more efficient vs the 6 because it only has one down shaft vs the #6 having 2. Was told that it would take more power to get the #6 to the same speed as the NXT, but I don't know if that is true or not. I am replacing a NXT tranny right now and rebuilding a NXT drive completely. Fun stuff :(