Transom ideas . >

Transom ideas .

Notices

Transom ideas .

Old 03-24-2022, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
Sorry Dan I thought that was his work . My bad . I cut my fiberglass teeth in the C2 corvette restoration business in the mid to late seventies . You have followed my Flat deck notch thread in the past so I am no virgin to fiberglass repair . No disrespect to your glass guy but any Transom I have done in the past breaks down kind of like this
Strip old transom 14 hours $1400
prepare transom wood and stringer end caps 7 hours $ 700
install transom wood and stringers end caps 14 hours $ 1400
finish exterior transom and glass work 14 hours $ 1400
2 sheets 4x8 okume marine mahogany marine plywood $ 500
5 gallons vinyl ester resin $ 500
50 sq yard 1708 fiberglass $ 1000
sand and pant transom $ 1000
Extras ( drill transom for gimbals etc. ) $ 1000

If your guy spent more time than that it would interesting to know why . Once the old wood is out those old war wounds just grind away any more than that seem excessive. but I what do I know I am just an old fashion book keeper . Sad to see that this experience has soured you on such an amazing project . But i get it at some point enough is enough .
Let me know what you think. There is an additional $2000 for painting the transom and $500 in material .
86 man hrs total so far

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-24-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Let me know what you think. There is an additional $2000 for painting the transom and $500 in material .
86 man hrs total so far

I removed my Formula silent Thunder platform this past fall and had damage (thankfully not rot) but the transom needed cracks in gel ground out, filled, in and the transom completely repainted. I had a guy out of Grand Haven, not too far from your guy in Zeeland, so pricing (market) is comparable.

I spent $4,560 for labor (57 hours) and $510 for materials. Also included was installing tabs, new exhaust tips, and new aluminum platform. You had much more damage it looks like and some fixing from previous work not completed correctly. Although yours will end up being more than double mine, I think you had considerably more work involved making the price so much higher....but that’s just my opinion......this is my first go around with this significant of a project on a boat.

Sorry you’re feeling burned out and need a break from the ole girl (putting money into her), but glad you found another ride to get you out there. I don’t care what you’re in, there’s nothing like being on the water!
The following 4 users liked this post by Noles1:
93 shooter (03-25-2022), ICDEDPPL (03-24-2022), PROP STAR (03-25-2022), SB (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

There comes a time when you`ve had enough and can`t take it anymore emotionally, mentally and financially .
I was told about 50hrs and $5k for the transom. Today he says they got 86 hrs into it, last transom job is all falling apart and delaminating etc etc , now the bill is $10k and needs another $2500 to paint the outside below rubrail.
thats pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.
I can`t do this anymore, the money I`ve put into it is insane and there has to be a point where enough is enough.
Today is that day unfortunately.
It’s your money, your boat, your sanity. Any chance you can hit the pause button on this? I’m only asking because you were well on your way to having hands down the baddest self built cigarette this forum has ever seen, and to see it fall apart over a transom makes me sad.
The following 8 users liked this post by Stuckonstupid:
93 shooter (03-25-2022), abones (03-25-2022), bencini231 (03-25-2022), check300 (03-25-2022), dykstra (06-15-2022), Noles1 (03-24-2022), Panther (03-25-2022), rak rua (03-24-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 164 Posts

Dan, time to step back and take a break. After the transom you are almost there. You have the other boat to enjoy this summer so with the price of fuel you will be ahead. Take your time and be patient your almost at the finish line.
The following users liked this post:
abones (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Dan have dropped off lots of jobs to Tommy /Capt Nabbers and never seen $$$ like what you got billed/charged ,i know material $ is up but as your well aware of in this boating hobby its all about the Xtras they get when they got your balls in a vice . That is alot of man hours and still climbing

Last edited by PROP STAR; 03-25-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:24 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Am i reading something wrong or just not understanding something?
In line item 1 it says they cut out and removed entire transom. prepped and ground entire transom wall as needed including several areas very lumpy from previous repair work.
then in line item 6 Found large previous repairs on both sides below drives previously covered up by transom assembly. Ground and found entire repair was delaminating and full of air voids.

If the entire transom was replaced from the inside then wouldn't you more or less have gotten all that bad previous repair taken care of in one shot? I understand there would be some cosmetic finish work on the outside....but it sounds like its almost getting charged twice for the same repair......then again i dont know how much the charge would be for 61 misc screw holes and other large holes would cost to plug up... not stirring the pot just wondering out loud...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
Panther (03-25-2022), PROP STAR (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Prop Star, I just haven`t heard good things when it comes to time line with Nabbers. He can really drive people nuts .
Wally I`m not sure seems like a lot of extra grinding on the outside of the transom.

Maybe I just need some time away from thinking and working on this thing.

Wasn`t really the final price that I lost it on , it was that it was double and then some from what I expected.
It`s my own fault , when I take on a project it`s full on till it`s done, Im not good at doing things slower .
I took on too much this year, transom, re rig #6`s , both engine rebuilds, running a business, at night I`m remodeling our bathroom , new jet boat , sell jet ski, custom parts, painting and powdercoating, polishing. Season depression setting in.
living in a dark and gloomy state.. it all just came crashing down . I`ve slept most of the last few days .. I`m just beyond burned out .
I need to step back .

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-25-2022 at 12:49 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
Helmwurst (03-26-2022), HOSSMAN (03-25-2022), Jim Diesel (03-28-2022), Knot 4 Me (03-27-2022), SB (03-25-2022), Stuckonstupid (03-25-2022), Unlimited jd (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 503 Likes on 235 Posts

Prop Star, I just haven`t heard good things when it comes to time line with Nabbers. He can really drive people nuts .
Wally I`m not sure seems like a lot of extra grinding on the outside of the transom.

Maybe I just need some time away from thinking and working on this thing.

Wasn`t really the final price that I lost it on , it was that it was double and then some from what I expected.
It`s my own fault , when I take on a project it`s full on till it`s done, Im not good at doing things slower .
I took on too much this year, transom, re rig #6`s , both engine rebuilds, running a business, at night I`m remodeling our bathroom , new jet boat , sell jet ski, custom parts, painting and powdercoating, polishing. Season depression setting in.
living in a dark and gloomy state.. it all just came crashing down . I`ve slept most of the last few days .. I`m just beyond burned out .
I need to step back .
I'm the same way when taking on a project., it's always wide open with no corners cut til it's finished. My project snowballed from drives and motors rebuilt to SCX conversion, whipples and all the extra time and EXTRA PARTS which you don't realize you need until it's finished. My little winter makeover doubled in price this past year and trust me I was getting depressed over the cost and extra time it has taken. I'm on the home stretch now with this and over excited finally. Pace yourself and you will be very happy with the project in the end, even if you need to put it on hold a few months. If you really like the Cig then I would put the brakes on, take a breath and even explore other shops for better pricing on the work.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

step back, take a break man, we dont want to see another picture of you in the hospital.............
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
Griff (03-26-2022), ICDEDPPL (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 02:41 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
step back, take a break man, we dont want to see another picture of you in the hospital.............
Nor in a bathingsuit. Seems we are at a conundrum .

Had to look it up for spelling and make sure it was correct word
noun: conundrum; plural noun: conundrums
  1. a confusing and difficult problem or question.
    "one of the most difficult conundrums for the experts"

Last edited by SB; 03-25-2022 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (03-25-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.