Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Aeromarine II. Informations request. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/151758-aeromarine-ii-informations-request.html)

Black Tornado 02-18-2007 07:05 PM

Aeromarine II. Informations request.

1 Attachment(s)
In another recent thread I have found this image where we can see a boat named Aeromarine II.
I know that was drove by S.Kay in 1974 but like a fantomatic Bertram/Memco 36'.
Instead I think it was simply a Cigarette 36' with a modified deck and engines hatches.
Anyone can say something about?
It was a second (spare)boat of Magoon after the Aeromarine I, drove in 1971 early 1972?

littlenige 02-21-2007 11:41 AM

Looks to be maybe a little shorter than a 36ī Marco. It reminds me of a Sutphen, but I donīt think they were around at that time.

Dude! Sweet! 02-21-2007 04:36 PM

Wasn't there some commentary on that boat by Charlie McCarthy or Ritchie Powers? I though I remember there being some fairly derisive comments about the #666 on the hull in an older post.

Black Tornado 02-21-2007 05:10 PM

Phil Lewis that was a driver of Bertram boats in those years sent me a PM writing that remember some years ago he was neary to buy the boat but at last time he refused to make it because the conditions of it was bad. He remember it was one of the test boats that Bertram builded to find a competitive antagonist racer to the Cigarettes in 1972-74 before to came to the definitive 38'Competition.

Marco

flatdeck36 02-21-2007 08:29 PM

Aeromarine II (666) pictured above was owned and raced by Sonny Kay out of Charlotte NC. The boat was worked on at a friend of mine's boat repair back in the mid 70's. I believe Sonny set a record with the boat at one of the great lakes races. When it was here it still had the KAM injected motors in it. I couldn't tell you were the boat went after Sonny sold it.

Regards,

James

el indio 02-21-2007 10:13 PM

bam has aeromarine 1......marc did that boat over himself and raced it.......real talented guy.........jimmy gaffrig helped him.....a little history for you new guys......m.m....

Top Banana 02-22-2007 01:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting to note in that photo .....Wally Harper in Little Smidgen in the foreground. A 27 foot Magnum with one of those rare pointed windshields that came from the factory in the early days.

Little Smidgen became American Spirit and then Seminole Spirit or vice versa. Also I think there were two, Little Smidgens, this being the first one.

h2oboater 02-22-2007 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 2034755)
Interesting to note in that photo .....Wally Harper in Little Smidgen in the foreground. A 27 foot Magnum with one of those rare pointed windshields that came from the factory in the early days.

Little Smidgen became American Spirit and then Seminole Spirit or vice versa. Also I think there were two, Little Smidgens, this being the first one.

Lil Smidgen, Than Seminole Sprit [Danny Patrona] than American Sprit [ Charlie Lynch], The first Smidgen had the windshield and was lost in the fire at the harbor with about 6 other race boat's.

h2oboater 02-22-2007 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The crew of Seminole Sprit, D Carlson, sadly the late Bruce Merriman, & Dan Patrona !

Phil M 02-22-2007 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2035091)
The crew of Seminole Sprit, D Carlson, sadly the late Bruce Merriman, & Dan Patrona !

Bruce worked with me many times - in different years - he is missed - He and his wife Judy were always fun to be with -

Danny Patrona was a guy that belived in NNRT in the early days - I have him to thank among many others that were loyal and supportive - If you are out there Dan - THANK YOU !

Phil
[email protected]