Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Bertram 38' Mr. Goodwrench (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/154600-bertram-38-mr-goodwrench.html)

Black Tornado 03-27-2007 05:49 PM

Bertram 38' Mr. Goodwrench

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone can say something about this Bertram 38' Mr.Goodwrench?Crew? Year?
Is the Elswick new 38' that never raced with him?

h2oboater 03-27-2007 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Black Tornado (Post 2072812)

Don Onken raced the Bertram from around 1992 to about 1999, APBA, USO, and lastly the Silver Cup Series. I believe Don has two 38', and when Joe Mach [Dirty Laundry] sold off his team Don bought some of his engines for the Bertran. With that power and Arneson drives the 38' was fast. The last time the boat was raced was at the Oshkosh race 1999 ? while leading the race the Bertram rolled over coming out of a turn, Don's Driver was injured. I believe Don never raced her again, and still has both Bertram's.

Black Tornado 03-28-2007 02:42 AM

Many Thanks h2oboater!
Was former something those Bertrams?

h2oboater 03-28-2007 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Black Tornado (Post 2073328)
Many Thanks h2oboater!
Was former something those Bertrams?

Its been a few years since I talked to Don, I know he told me, but I dont remember. Hopefully some one on OSO will remember ???

Knot 4 Me 03-28-2007 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2073289)
Don Onken raced the Bertram from around 1992 to about 1999, APBA, USO, and lastly the Silver Cup Series. I believe Don has two 38', and when Joe Mach [Dirty Laundry] sold off his team Don bought some of his engines for the Bertran. With that power and Arneson drives the 38' was fast. The last time the boat was raced was at the Oshkosh race 1999 ? while leading the race the Bertram rolled over coming out of a turn, Don's Driver was injured. I believe Don never raced her again, and still has both Bertram's.

I believe Jim Agles was the driver. Don hasn't raced since but still owns the Bertrams as well as a Cougar. I've watched a video of the accident. Don has it and most all of the races the Goodwrench boat ran in on tape. Cool old boats.

Top Banana 03-28-2007 09:42 AM

Marco.....I don't know the history of the Goodwrench boat, but

I do know the other one.....and it would be a very worthy resto for someone, I considered it before I selected the Benihana Cigarette that I bought.

Don Onken seemed to be a pretty straight guy to deal with also. I think he told me the Goodwrench boat was running about 115MPH in the end.

PM me if you want that info.

Ben@SRP 03-28-2007 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Black Tornado (Post 2072812)

Black Tornado,
Jim Agles and Don I believe were partners in the boat. I don't know if Jim was driving when it wrecked but I know that Jim bought the red Budweiser Cougar Cat after he and Don stopped racing together. I think that is Jim, Don and their navigator Phil McCombs on the deck. If you email me the picture I can tell you for sure. Phil McCombs is a good friend of mine and I know he would like to see the picture.
My email is: [email protected]

Thanks, Ben

h2oboater 03-28-2007 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 2073486)
I believe Jim Agles was the driver. Don hasn't raced since but still owns the Bertrams as well as a Cougar. I've watched a video of the accident. Don has it and most all of the races the Goodwrench boat ran in on tape. Cool old boats.

Don and Jim Agles did race together at one time early on, then Jim a [GM] car dealer went on his owne with the GM Goodwrench sponsor in I believe a 28' Challenger, and later Jim bought and raced the old Cougar Bud cat. I was the Referee at that Silver Cup race, Jim Agles was not in the accident, by then he was out of racing and living down in Florida.

Knot 4 Me 03-28-2007 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 2073740)
Don and Jim Agles did race together at one time early on, then Jim a [GM] car dealer went on his owne with the GM Goodwrench sponsor in I believe a 28' Challenger, and later Jim bought and raced the old Cougar Bud cat. I was the Referee at that Silver Cup race, Jim Agles was not in the accident, by then he was out of racing and living down in Florida.

Ah, after Jim's time. Saw Jim last August at Dog Days at the shootout at LOTO. He's a family friend as well as Donnie Onken and his brother Jim. My Dad and Donnie grew up together and my Dad has worked on the Goodwrench Bertram in the past repairing race damage. Jim Onken's son Ben is an OSO member (SLOWRIDE-388) so anyone wanting to know any information on the boats could PM him.

littlenige 03-28-2007 01:55 PM

Marco, any chance of posting the picture a lot bigger?