Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1965 turbine thunderbird >

1965 turbine thunderbird

Notices

1965 turbine thunderbird

Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could have gave it to hornet marine in bristol ct the would have restored that boat they wanted it last year i though but they said the seller wasnt interesred in selling it . now look at it what a waste some people have no respect for the sport
Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
Top Banana " colorado or timbuktu" " get a new identity card" Thats pretty good! Now you don't have to worry about the thunderbird embarrassing you, It would have won any historic race with just one turbine let alone two just like it did back in the 60's
I would like to talk to Odell Lewis, I saved something for him that I think he would like. Anyone have his #.
This is exactly why we started HORBA, so these great old boats aren't destroyed.

This guy hasn't a clue on what he just did to the history of the sport. Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent people like this from getting their hands on the great old boats.

My suggestion to the board members. Let the thread die...he obviously gets off on this.

This guy is not worth any more comments...let this thread and Mr Thunderbird go off in to the sunset to screw up another project without comment.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered

Top banana
Thanks for the post!
Finally someone comes to the real point of saving these boats! It is not what the value of the individual pieces are or what people have done to the boat, it is what the boat has done in its lifetime. Its history, its the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I restore antique, classic and muscle cars along with rebuilding and restoring aircraft. That is what I do for a living. People have commented that I should sell my boat to someone else who has the money or knowledge to do it right. I haven't talked to anyone who remotely comes close to being able to do that.
This boat will take years of hunting for the right parts! It needs two ST-6's not PT-6's Thats why I didn't pursue the pt-6's of Mike's, they are not correct! It needs two truck or cadillac pursue I have heard two different stories on that, can't verify which it needs. It needs two water cooled Casale vdrives of the right vintage, verified by Andy Casale who actually worked on this boat. It needs the right props and gear ratio's. It needs the right brake levers and linkage and the right shifters and levers It needs the right gauges and period correct steering wheel and linkage down to the right rudder ect., ect., ect.
This is far from being an easy restoration!!!!!! , It is very difficult to document and very little has shown up to help.
I am not and will not ask anybody to work on my boat, it is my project and I will do my way.
All I have ever asked for is information, which has been very limited.
I don't mind if someone would like to be part of this restoration in some way, I would be honored by their help.
The scenario that we just went through has happened to alot of boats and cars and airplanes and anything else you can think of.
I stepped up to the plate and bought this boat, it is my boat and I saved it from the scrap heap. Maybe someone could say thanks instead of you don't know what you are doing or you are walfling through an easy project ect ect ect.
Rest assured that when this boat is done it will be right.
But for right now it will have a walter turbine in it, as I find the right parts they will go on the boat or be collect for the future. For those who have never really restored something like this please understand it will take quite some time and effort to finish this project and if you know of someone else that is doing some thing like this please encourage them. You can't just write checks, you have to put your own blood and sweat and sometimes tears in to it.
Theres no documentation on anything, just a few limited pictures.
As far as the value of the boat, yes you are right it is not monetary it is historical, you guys finally got my point! So don't use the words worthless anymore It could have outboards mounted on it and be rotted out and it would still be priceless. Also I would appreciate it if you remove the words moron, stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. This boat will get done correctly but as any project, 90% of the work is finding the correct parts, not just going out and buying new stuff, there is no challenge to that.
It might have sounded like I was going to put some turbine in it and leave it, I am sorry I didn't explain my thinking. I just wanted to get it out and show it to people and run it around. I thought if I got some exposure some more parts and info might show up. This will be a long term restoration to make it correct and collecting the right parts will be difficult, especially with this being a one only design. If anybody has some technical info or schematics or ideas where to get the correct parts I would be grateful.
No this boat has not gone to the scrap heap, it is alive and well and will be that way as long as I am alive. So if anybody wants to see it at the historical races, please help me with historical info and how to rig this boat, that is all I have ever asked.
Sorry for the posts that agitated people. I was trying to light a fire and wake some people up.
Pantera24 thanks for your posts, if you want a ride in my scabbed together boat I would be honored.

lets quit fighting and have some fun, Go find a boat to save!

Last edited by 1965 thunderbird; 11-19-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I fixed it............................... I still think you should have reached out a little further. As a person myself who has taken on similar tasks, I felt that some how your defeat hit home, to me, as a last resort that I would'a should'a have avoided just for the sake of what is left of HERITAGE to THE SPORT....... We OK now ?

GO fix those Corvettes now. If you need a 427 BB I have thae correct SS motor for your year and a 396 from '69 numbers matching ( heads and block, etc ....... ) I was really bothered by the turn of events.

You may be misquided but probably not a MORON, so I removed that from my pervious rant ......... C YA, Bill

Last edited by Jolley; 11-19-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Love me or hate me I could care less but I think some of you folks have gone off the reservation.
Basically “Air Time” called the man’s boat worthless a bunch of times (check post 125 of this thread) and now some has gone and piled on. Nice.
It’s his boat to do what he wants like some have said in a not so nice way. Do I think Jim is going to or has cut it up? Not a chance but that’s what some here has stated it’s worth if not done THEIR way. The man has bought turbine motors for it. I said TURBINES. Now that’s some serious money for some of us even if it’s not up to your standards. Just because they are not the right ones, “He’s wasting his time” is a bunch of BS. He saves the boat from becoming beer cans and if he is going to put a T6 or T96 turbine (I know nothing about turbines) in it watch the crap hit the fan.
Maybe he is looking for help on a few things. So what! God knows if I didn’t have a few folks helping me along with my old race boat it would still be sitting under a carport in a rundown marina where I found it and has sat for the last 25+ years waiting to be scraped.
So I say, Jim do what you want with the boat. Slap a couple outboards on it and turn it into a lobster boat for all I care (I do care and wish you wouldn’t but it‘s your boat). At least it’s not taking up landfill area. There is a hundred race boats out there that need good homes and no one seems to care about them. If someone picks up one then everyone comes out of the woodwork telling you how it needs to be done and if not it‘s crap. Before that it was good enough to let it rot in some yard. Funny how it works. Where were you all when it’s time to lay out the cash, take out the loan on your house to buy it or fight with the wife and everyone else on what a waste of money, time and space it is to save a “classic”?
As for worth. Sorry to tell some of you folks but a boat is only what someone will pay for it. I have a perfectly restores 1973 Monza19. Has about 2 hours on it since it was done. Cant give it away today. 3 years ago there would have been a bidding war on it. We all wonder about it. I hope my R/B will be worth more then I paid for it when done or it was just a bad deal period. It’s the holy grail for me and I would never get rid of it but even though it was a heart buy my brain wants to make sure wasn’t a stupid buy. Who can blame anyone for that? So I say ask away and if there is not another set your own price.

Last HORBA, I see that you all have races sponsored and such. When you going to update your website? (I say this with full respect of the gentleman that passed)
Old 11-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
Top banana
Thanks for the post!
Finally someone comes to the real point of saving these boats! It is not what the value of the individual pieces are or what people have done to the boat, it is what the boat has done in its lifetime. Its history, its the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I restore antique, classic and muscle cars along with rebuilding and restoring aircraft. That is what I do for a living. People have commented that I should sell my boat to someone else who has the money or knowledge to do it right. I haven't talked to anyone who remotely comes close to being able to do that.
This boat will take years of hunting for the right parts! It needs two ST-6's not PT-6's Thats why I didn't pursue the pt-6's of Mike's, they are not correct! It needs two truck or cadillac pursue I have heard two different stories on that, can't verify which it needs. It needs two water cooled Casale vdrives of the right vintage, verified by Andy Casale who actually worked on this boat. It needs the right props and gear ratio's. It needs the right brake levers and linkage and the right shifters and levers It needs the right gauges and period correct steering wheel and linkage down to the right rudder ect., ect., ect.
This is far from being an easy restoration!!!!!! , It is very difficult to document and very little has shown up to help.
I am not and will not ask anybody to work on my boat, it is my project and I will do my way.
All I have ever asked for is information, which has been very limited.
I don't mind if someone would like to be part of this restoration in some way, I would be honored by their help.
The scenario that we just went through has happened to alot of boats and cars and airplanes and anything else you can think of.
I stepped up to the plate and bought this boat, it is my boat and I saved it from the scrap heap. Maybe someone could say thanks instead of you don't know what you are doing or you are walfling through an easy project ect ect ect.
Rest assured that when this boat is done it will be right.
But for right now it will have a walter turbine in it, as I find the right parts they will go on the boat or be collect for the future. For those who have never really restored something like this please understand it will take quite some time and effort to finish this project and if you know of someone else that is doing some thing like this please encourage them. You can't just write checks, you have to put your own blood and sweat and sometimes tears in to it.
Theres no documentation on anything, just a few limited pictures.
As far as the value of the boat, yes you are right it is not monetary it is historical, you guys finally got my point! So don't use the words worthless anymore It could have outboards mounted on it and be rotted out and it would still be priceless. Also I would appreciate it if you remove the words moron, stupid and doesn't know what he's doing. This boat will get done correctly but as any project, 90% of the work is finding the correct parts, not just going out and buying new stuff, there is no challenge to that.
It might have sounded like I was going to put some turbine in it and leave it, I am sorry I didn't explain my thinking. I just wanted to get it out and show it to people and run it around. I thought if I got some exposure some more parts and info might show up. This will be a long term restoration to make it correct and collecting the right parts will be difficult, especially with this being a one only design. If anybody has some technical info or schematics or ideas where to get the correct parts I would be grateful.
No this boat has not gone to the scrap heap, it is alive and well and will be that way as long as I am alive. So if anybody wants to see it at the historical races, please help me with historical info and how to rig this boat, that is all I have ever asked.
Sorry for the posts that agitated people. I was trying to light a fire and wake some people up.
Pantera24 thanks for your posts, if you want a ride in my scabbed together boat I would be honored.

lets quit fighting and have some fun, Go find a boat to save!
Tbird don’t sweat the motors. It’s the look that will do it for most. Very few people will know what came in it originally and unless you are talking to someone like yourself they will not know the difference of a “T” whatever turbine. “Look dad it has jet motors in it” is about what you are going to get. Also these boat were just vessels to run different motor packages in. Who knows what it had in it over the years? You don’t think they were to nostalgic back then do ya? They weren’t going to run 1966 stuff in it in 1972 that’s for sure. So who knows if it’s wrong and if it’s right for that matter. Hell I’m putting Chevy big blocks in mine in place of the Ford 427’s. I’ll get the right one’s one day but it’s not going to sit for another 25 years waiting on them. Also it’s going to give last years local boat show winner a run for it’s money this spring with it’s CBB’s.
Get it painted, drop a motor in and take it to the lake or whatever you go and draw a crowd. You can put seats in it later

Last edited by f_inscreenname; 11-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe I should have been involved in the thread sooner. I have been watching it since the very beginning, but you struck a chord in me when you said you cut it up.

I agree, it's your boat, finish it how you please. No matter how you do it some one will find something to nit pick. Srew 'em.

I figured this was a joke, but you got a pretty honest reaction from me.

What kind of airplanes are you into? I have been fortunate enough to spend a little time at the sticks of these beauties...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boat Restoration

......ok now were talking.
Jim I sent you a private message.

Angel
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Love me or hate me I could care less but I think some of you folks have gone off the reservation.
Basically “Air Time” called the man’s boat worthless a bunch of times (check post 125 of this thread) and now some has gone and piled on. Nice.
It’s his boat to do what he wants like some have said in a not so nice way. Do I think Jim is going to or has cut it up? Not a chance but that’s what some here has stated it’s worth if not done THEIR way. The man has bought turbine motors for it. I said TURBINES. Now that’s some serious money for some of us even if it’s not up to your standards. Just because they are not the right ones, “He’s wasting his time” is a bunch of BS. He saves the boat from becoming beer cans and if he is going to put a T6 or T96 turbine (I know nothing about turbines) in it watch the crap hit the fan.
Maybe he is looking for help on a few things. So what! God knows if I didn’t have a few folks helping me along with my old race boat it would still be sitting under a carport in a rundown marina where I found it and has sat for the last 25+ years waiting to be scraped.
So I say, Jim do what you want with the boat. Slap a couple outboards on it and turn it into a lobster boat for all I care (I do care and wish you wouldn’t but it‘s your boat). At least it’s not taking up landfill area. There is a hundred race boats out there that need good homes and no one seems to care about them. If someone picks up one then everyone comes out of the woodwork telling you how it needs to be done and if not it‘s crap. Before that it was good enough to let it rot in some yard. Funny how it works. Where were you all when it’s time to lay out the cash, take out the loan on your house to buy it or fight with the wife and everyone else on what a waste of money, time and space it is to save a “classic”?
As for worth. Sorry to tell some of you folks but a boat is only what someone will pay for it. I have a perfectly restores 1973 Monza19. Has about 2 hours on it since it was done. Cant give it away today. 3 years ago there would have been a bidding war on it. We all wonder about it. I hope my R/B will be worth more then I paid for it when done or it was just a bad deal period. It’s the holy grail for me and I would never get rid of it but even though it was a heart buy my brain wants to make sure wasn’t a stupid buy. Who can blame anyone for that? So I say ask away and if there is not another set your own price.

Last HORBA, I see that you all have races sponsored and such. When you going to update your website? (I say this with full respect of the gentleman that passed)
Awesome post! thanks
PS If it makes you happy and feels good then keep it and enjoy it!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered

RT930
Thanks for the reply.
I new you were a good guy! A fellow pilot makes it better. I love antique aircraft, the stearman is a great plane and beach 18 is even better, one of my favorites just about bought one 3 wks ago. I have 12 planes in various stages and repair and flying. I have a cessna 195, cessna turbo 210, maule MX-7,m-20c mooney,cessna 182 RG,Grumman tiger, yak-55, one of the first apaches built,ect.
I rebuild planes for a living, I am a AP/IA. Love planes,cars,and boats,ect.

Quick Reply: 1965 turbine thunderbird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.