Don Aronow Memorial Race >

Don Aronow Memorial Race

Notices

Don Aronow Memorial Race

Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Richie (7X)
You are most welcome. I've seen many of the boats you put together over the early years and they were works of art that would win races all over the world.
Most of us older timer's started with P-class/Modified boats and learned about racing that way. I couldn't keep track of all the wrong parts and things that I brought trying to learn about making my Magnum Sport go a little faster.
Thank you, for what you and the all othes that have given Offshore Racing over the years.
Jim

Last edited by dammmagnum; 04-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Is the web site working? I'd like some info on the rules.
This type of race has been a dream of mine since I started reading about the history of offshore racing. I am planning on racing, just need the 411.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

OKAY......if you go to the General Discussion section.....Brad has put all of the info, Rules, Forms, entry info in PDF files that you can download.

Everyone has talked about doing a race like this someday.....today is the day, let's see how many will step up to the plate.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts
Default Wow!

Originally Posted by T2x
There's a world of difference between wondering how good you look coming through Mallory Square versus racing completely out of sight of land (and other competitors) for hours (sometimes days) at a time.......... The true offshore circuit had its share of showoffs ....but in those days you had to earn it the hard way and you didn't get to showoff during the race.
Perfectly said!

Thought I was the only one left to think this way??
(tired of getting beat up for voicing it)

Awesome idea Banana and I'm 100% in support as a worker bee or a riding grunt if I can find a ride until my Sonic is done.

Just outstanding news and I'm so happy to see someone working to bring back the amazing history of Fla from the Offshore days.

Gary

Gary
Old 04-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Registered

Default Now you're...

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
GPS not allowed for this event, dead reckoning or compass only..
talkin!!!

Outstanding!!

Gary
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Registered

Default Sorry for all the repeat posts...

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Lot of guys today only know twin engine boats, V`s and cats. When I started it was 21` v- bottoms with single Merc. outboard, then twins 21` then triple 25` to 30` then quads 32` to 34`. I raced one of each while with the Merc. Factory team 1967 to 1970 from there went into OPC team for Merc. Molinari tunnel boats, Dave Beyer and myself built all the powerheads. Then came the 36` Cig`s Magoon Bonomi etc. I have huge stories about all the things Kiekhaefer and I designed and implemented into the sport of offshore. From that era, came the cats, cougars etc. twin engine, then the triple 46` V-bottom super boats, Then the 50` four engine cats, and speeds into the 170mph range. ( ex arneson Gentry 48` Cougar ) Those boats were major engineering and logistics, try running a 50` with four 1200`s, crash boxes etc. By the way there were no plans or blueprints to tell how to rig, race or prepare, it was guys like me, Bobby Moore, Brownie, etc. who built and fabricated those monsters. then came the high hp skaters etc. ( team gentry 40` skater world record holder open class 158 mph. ) Bottom line is that I was the guy with the various teams that set these boats up, raced them, set world records in them, won races, and championships. I don`t think there are many guys around today who have experienced what that all entails. We didn`t just buy a ready made boat and go racing, we bought bare hulls,some new, some unproven, and some dogs that we had to make work and make ( will ) them to win and be succesful. We used to take a lot on for our owners and sponsors, we were paid to produce at any cost, and produce we did. Tell you the truth,I would love to see one of the old Seacraft 21`s with a pair of 110 hp mercs on her to run the Bimini race, now that would be old school, everyone forgets those boats, and the guys who raced them.
(I've been away a while.)

Another awesome post!

Richie, you ever get into my hood I'll buy you beers till you fall over to hear those stories!

I am one of those guys that gets more out of doing it himslef then being faster w/a check book.
Nothing wrong with that but stock sucks and I love to tinker

Gary
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[FONT="Aria
SO WHO,S GOING TO COMMIT!!
Let,s see some names /or boat names !!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

peppers
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Registered

Default If....

Originally Posted by XtremePowerboats.com
[FONT="Aria
SO WHO,S GOING TO COMMIT!!
Let,s see some names /or boat names !!
the cream puff I just bought didn't end up being a "project" I'd do it in a heart beat!

Was telling my wife about it and mentioned the entry fee and that our finances were tight right now when she said. "honey our tax rebate checks should be here any day, will that do?"
I'm a lucky man

Gary
Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

So far we have a Historic '63 Formula that Don actually raced to a Modern...Turbine Cat, and a lot of intereting in between...like the old school Pantera boys....don't miss out on this....memories of a lifetime

Rules etc can be downloaded at www.historicraceboats.com

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Memorial Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.