Craigslist 36' Cigarette

Notices

Craigslist 36' Cigarette

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craigslist 36' Cigarette

Seems like a lot of boat. Edited to say that after doing a little searching it seems to belong to an OSO member.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/member.php?u=159

36-foot real Cigarette-black/white-make offer or trade - $29999 (Lake Travis)
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-04-05, 9:24PM CDT

I am looking to sell or trade my offshore powerboat for a cabin cruiser. I've had it since 2000, spent a ton on it to get it where it is now mechanically all set up, but I'm not using it much anymore because I have other priorities.

If anyone's up for a trade, I believe I would like to get a 28-38 foot Carver/SeaRay/ChrisCraft type of cruiser to replace it.

The boat is a 1978 Cigarette 36 offshore with 9'6" beam. This is the original model built by Don Aronow's Cigarette Racing Team starting in about 1970 for real offshore racing in 5-10 foot seas at 60-70+ mph. I have run it at speed in the Pacific and it is among the safest, most durable boats of its kind. It pulled a skier in the 2000 Catalina water ski race, completing the 62 mile trip in 1 hr 4 minutes. The roughest water on Lake Travis doesn't bother this boat at all.

The hull is black linear polyurethane and the deck is white, as is the bottom, with a small red boot stripe just like "The Cigarette." The deck looks ok from about 10 feet or more but needs to be repainted, and the cockpit and cabin upholstery is ok (some new, some old vinyl, the cabin is grey carpeting, nothing too 70's at least). There is a norcold AC/DC refrigerator, a decent marine stereo with amplifiers, a couple of VHF radios, DVD player and TV installed. There is a head with holding tank and pumpout. It's been stored on a lift or trailer 99.9% of the time that I have owned it, and the previous owner also kept it dry when not in use. Going back further, I was told it was originally used on the Great Lakes, so very little saltwater use in its history.

This is a motorsport enthusiast's type of boat and it idles like a pair of dragsters at the starting line and it makes that fantastic harmonious American V8 sound above about 3500rpm. If you like the sound of a classic Camaro, Chevelle, Charger, Mustang, etc muscle car, this boat is that times five. You'll have to be someone who appreciates this kind of a machine to enjoy owning it. It gets on plane effortlessly without bothering to use the K-plane tabs, then the acceleration is phenomenal up to about 60mph where it levels off until you reach top speed.

The engines were dyno'd at 600+hp each yet as simple as possible to keep ownership costs low. They are 540ci tall deck big blocks each with a holley 850cfm 4150 carb on a dart single plane intake and stellings headers with light water injection at the tailpipes. The internals are first class: forged crank, rods, and pistons. The heads are iron merlin 345 rectangular port with Inconel 2.30 and 1.88 valves, roller rockers. The cams are crane solid lifter 134691. The compression is just over 9:1 so they will run on 89 without knocking but seem to run a bit stronger on 91-93 octane gas. They have around 40 and 80 hours on them. One was built on a new dart BigM block in 2004 and the other has a GM gen IV bowtie block, rebuilt in 2001. Ignition is MSD 6 electronic with centrifugal advance in MSD distributors.

The drives are TRS and I run 22 pitch hydromotive Q-IV 4-blade props turning inward. It will pull to around 5400-5600 rpm for 66-68 mph on Lake Travis depending upon the outside air temperature summer/winter. The TRS drives are well known to be very sturdy, much more so than stock Bravos and have never given me any trouble, modified before I bought it to handle upwards of 700hp by Doller offshore in Florida. The transmissions are Borg-Warner 72C's, one of which is new in 2005 from BAM in Florida - strengthened with additional clutches. The other is probably stock but has not shown any problems.

There is approximately 150 gallons of fuel capacity and the boat weighs around 12000 pounds.

There is also a triple axle trailer for the boat - bearings and brakes overhauled in 2005, tires probably ok for short local hauling out, etc, but I'd replace some of them if I were going to take it anywhere very far.

My price is about what the parts are worth on this thing, but it is much easier to sell a whole boat than to part it out, so make me a cash offer, I need my slip for the next boat.

I have free-and-clear Texas documents in-hand ready to transfer. No financing is available from me, and it is unlikely that a bank will write a loan secured by any boat this age so please don't contact me unless you have access to enough cash to purchase it or you can deliver to me a boat that is free-and-clear or has enough equity to equal the value I'm trading to you. I may consider taking over your boat payments or paying the difference on a boat that is more valuable.
Attached Thumbnails Craigslist 36' Cigarette-36-cigarette.jpg  

Last edited by Jammin'; 05-16-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Robert,
can you post one or more photos where they can be seen the particulars of the deck of that 36'?
Is 1978 really the year when was built or of when it was purchased?
Maybe I can tell you something interesting on that boat.
Marco
Old 05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unfortunately, it's not mine. I found the ad on Craigslist. The owner hasn't posted on OSO since 2006.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Registered

Hey, thanks for the interest! I had it listed on CL for a while until I got the time to go take enough pictures to set up a decent listing. I've just put it in classifieds here and on boattrader.com. More details there or you can ask me too. Lots of pictures at http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AcMmzJm0bsWTjI