Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Super Hawaii (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/192808-super-hawaii.html)

wstultz 08-07-2008 04:10 PM

Super Hawaii

What is the history behind these boats and who built them?

Car Biz 08-07-2008 05:51 PM

i would like to know that too. when i was a kid i remember seeing the advertisments for them. If i remember right they were called Super Hero then changed to Super Hawaii. The ones i saw had big wings on top.

HabanaJoe 08-07-2008 08:21 PM

We built the molds & the US versions in Fl first up in Panama City and then we took over the old Aquasport plant for expansion into Asia. The Buzzi stlye race boats were made by Buzzi and the Buzzi style pleasure boats came from Bruno Abbatte.

Yes, they were Super Hero first.

When you say "I remember them as a kid" you make me feel very old!!!!

Ask me what you want to know and I'll tell you as best I can?

Joe Gere

wstultz 08-07-2008 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This boat was the one I saw and there was a 41 that looks similar to it. There was a boat similar to this on on ebay not too long ago and it was a staggard as well...Great looking boat. My main question was where did the hull spawn from or was it a custom mold.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...r-Vee-93155697

wstultz 08-07-2008 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is being listed as a cig but I believe it is a Super Hawaii as well. Looks like the same lines as the 34 and resembles some of the Aronow hulls.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-1991-93335119

I remember the ones racing with the wings that looked like Buzzi hulls but I mostly remember these pleasure versions that look totally different. What can you tell us about them Habana Joe? I appreciate the info.

HabanaJoe 08-07-2008 11:14 PM

The hulls were fom Midnight Express, the SH 34 was a Midnight 32 and the SH 40 was a Midnight 37. The bussels gave them the extra length.

The SH's or the Aronow's all came from some off shoot of a Cigarette somehow. I was told the Aronow 32 was the same hull as our 34 just without bussel and different deck.

I remember being at the 1990 Miami show, there was a white w/blue green 32 Aronow there and our VP of Production Dan Higgins and I were looking at the hull saying "That's ours!"

olli 08-08-2008 04:49 AM

I remember some of Yoshiro Kitami's Super Hawaii boats took part in one of the Venice-Monte Carlo races. There were a 46' (looked like an Offshorer Marine Monte Carlo but without the arch with a slightly modified deck) and a turbine-powered GT60' both designed (and built?) by Buzzi and a SH 40' Super Hawk. Will try to post some pics later.
I think a SH 38' (Buzzi designed Offshorer Marine) was used for racing in the US in 1990.
Some people on OSO said the one below is a SH, too. The hull looks like a Buzzi 38' with modified deck and tail:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...5400/Intre.jpg

Stormrider 08-08-2008 09:34 AM

olli, i saw THAT boat at the Miami Boat show... i'm guessing 1993?? But I KNOW it was that boat. That low profile at the stern, and the rear bolster seating got my blood flowing!!!:cool:
OH YEAH, and it was shown AS a Super Hawaii.

Car Biz 08-08-2008 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=HabanaJoe;2647993

Yes, they were Super Hero first.

When you say "I remember them as a kid" you make me feel very old!!!!

Ask me what you want to know and I'll tell you as best I can?

Joe Gere[/QUOTE]

:drink: i'm still a kid so i hope you feel that old:p

I am just suprised that there are not more of the "race style" ones around. thanks for the info Joe

7xchamp 08-08-2008 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2648136)
Cool , i like the M.express 32 . The one that was for sale in the clasifieds.
Dont like the bussels on these ,but hey everybody likes dif. stuff.:party-smiley-004:
Nice boat though .
Thanks for posting some pics.

I was with Intrepid in 1991 when I opened up the factory store at harbor town marina in Dania Beach Fla., at that time the owner of Intrepid was in some form of Partnership with Kitami ( owner of super hero/hawaii ) I displayed a 46` triple seateck with wing and all, as well as the 39` euro pictured with twin seatechs and Buzzi drives. The boats were fun and ran good, I did a boat test with Richard Theil I think Boating or power & motoryacht magazine, we took the 39` out into the rough and had lot`s of fun, he wrote a really nice article about riding with me and how the boat performed. If I remember I believe the boat ran 69 mph????????? anyway it was a hard sell, I think it eventually went to Japan with the 46`.

HabanaJoe 08-08-2008 05:02 PM

Richie,

Next time I'm in Fl we need to sit, talk & have a beer, we crossed paths many times!!! I think we have a few SH stories we can swap, that was a circus back in the day - strange characters. No wonder why I fit in there?

Joe Gere

7xchamp 08-09-2008 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2648732)
Richie,

Next time I'm in Fl we need to sit, talk & have a beer, we crossed paths many times!!! I think we have a few SH stories we can swap, that was a circus back in the day - strange characters. No wonder why I fit in there?

Joe Gere

Sounds good, definitly some characters. and some stories

formula 382 sr-1 08-09-2008 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2648373)
olli, i saw THAT boat at the Miami Boat show... i'm guessing 1993?? But I KNOW it was that boat. That low profile at the stern, and the rear bolster seating got my blood flowing!!!:cool:
OH YEAH, and it was shown AS a Super Hawaii.

I believe that boat is in Va Beach now.:cool: And I think it is FOR SALE

Stormrider 08-09-2008 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1 (Post 2649145)
I believe that boat is in Va Beach now.:cool: And I think it is FOR SALE

And your stating this w/ no pics because??? :D

formula 382 sr-1 08-09-2008 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2649209)
And your stating this w/ no pics because??? :D

I will take some at the Hampton Roads Powerboat Association's " Powerboat Rendezvous " in Downtown Norfolk VA next weekend. :drink:

littlenige 08-11-2008 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Monte Carlo 38, in Ibiza 1995.

olli 08-11-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by littlenige (Post 2650127)
Monte Carlo 38, in Ibiza 1995.

Thanks for posting a pic of that beautiful boat littlenige. This is the 38 I thought of:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...400/bal001.jpg

HabanaJoe 08-11-2008 07:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, let's get to the start of some things here with Super Hero. Here is a picture of the original "Italian" Series pleasure boat, it is a 46' Monte Carlo converted to a Super Hero. It had twin 600 hp Seateks in it. There is a story in a couple magazines about it with me.

Next picture is Yoshiro Kitami, Bill Evans (SH Sales Manager) my wife and me. This is before all the political stuff started, no Intrepid and Eric Schiff was President.

HabanaJoe 08-11-2008 07:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The many faces of the "Black Boat" which early on was really dark blue. This is the 38' that is most recognized as the "Super Hero" boat.

First as EBEL (1989), see the guy behind the boat with the Popeyes cap on looking down that was Doc. See the Super Hero at the rear of the boat.

Second as M-23 in Key West 1989

Third as P-23 when the boats were kept behind my father's house in NJ with my wife on the trailer (we were waiting for the NJ shop to get finished during this time period)

HabanaJoe 08-11-2008 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More "Black Boat" and it's Big Sister at the NJ race and diesel devlopement shop. Before you ask why NJ? At this point we had very strong ties with Cummins engine company for future product developemnt and a possible lower Hp line with Seatek. All paperwork and support was going thru Cummins Metro Power in NJ/NY.

We had an 8 vane Clayton water dyno and our electric dyno there as well. The NJ shop which was Henry Luhrs very first shop and earlier used by Wellman was where I moved my machine shop and Superflow dyno. This was where we could build any engine part from nothing but a block of metal and play with them until things broke, blew up or ran damm good!!!

1) #38 as most people knew her, with her new paint job to match th Gancia dei Gancia with the boxes and stripe from side to side across the deck.

2) #38 along side #46 which was the Gancia

3) #46 alone the renamed & painted Gancia dei Gancia

After this point in time the internal struggles as to who could get more of Kitami's money to spend became really bad. Up till then it was one big happy family at least here in the US.

wstultz 08-11-2008 08:38 PM

Beautiful boats Habana Joe. I love the black hulled boat with the grey deck. What kind of drives are those with the straight shaft coming from the transom?

HabanaJoe 08-11-2008 09:18 PM

The drives are first generation Tri-Max's non-trimable fixed at if I recall 4 deg or 6 deg downward?

HabanaJoe 08-12-2008 07:14 AM

It was broken so many times, it was finally put to the chainsaw. In the Pt Pleasant race Sirois, Bush and myself saw a crack that went from the middle of the dash to left and over the gunnel didn't think much of it, stress crack?

About 3/4 through our feet started getting wet and we looked down and water was all around. We manned the hand bilge pump because the electrics could not keep up. After the race we ran like hell through the Squan up to the pits and cut everyone off at the crane and by the time we started to lift her water was over the floor boards.

The crack went from center dash all the way to the keel!!!!! It was repaired but kept breaking - time to say good bye.

BROWNIE 08-12-2008 07:27 AM

Kitami asked Fabio Buzzi to build him a 63' boat for the Around Italy race. There was much pissing and moaning on both sides regarding performance, funds, etc. Buzzi finally said, "If you don't like it, send it back, you slanty eyed little bastard"! (or words to that effect). Kitami did. They chain-sawed it into little pieces, and sent it back in a container.

BOBCATMATHEWS 08-12-2008 08:20 AM

great thread! oso member payton has a super hawaii he just redid. love the blue m-23

HabanaJoe 08-12-2008 09:09 AM

Brownie,

Pissing and moaning would be an understatement!!!!!!

Buzzi was/is a great salesman non better, I respect him tremendiously on many fronts.

Story - Kitami loved the Gancia but Buzzi said it wasn't for sale. No money can buy that boat, it was like my daughters. I raised that boat myself, I designed, I built, I built the engines, I, I, I, I - you can't have it. Plus the boat has fallen into dis-repair it needs new engines to be competive, etc, etc, etc - too much work, you can't have it!

At that point Buzzi had tears in his eyes. Kitami - Please, please, please I will take care of it, I will love it, how much, just tell me?

$1 million and my pain will be eased but for all major work she needs to come back to Italy everytime and you need to pay me to do it on top of the million!!

Kitami whips out a check book, writes a check and the refurbishing of Gancia starts!!! This was all in the airport in London while Kitami was tring to board a plane back to JFK.

The stories from SH are endless.

THERUSH 08-16-2008 06:55 AM

Super 40 Pleasure

3 Attachment(s)
You guys have a lot of pics of the race hulls.

Nice looking boats for sure but here are a few shots of my 40 with Cummins & ASD-8's playing on Lake Erie.

Gotta love the rooster tail!

HabanaJoe 08-16-2008 08:14 AM

Is that with Cummins B's or C's and is it a 1990?

HabanaJoe 08-16-2008 09:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the backdrop from the first boat show Miami 1990

The Blue boat is hull #1 of your 40

The Red boat is hull #1 of the 34

HabanaJoe 08-16-2008 09:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cockpit of Red 34

This is the rooster tail from #38 running in a beam sea, you can see the differnt lenght tails from right and left drives as she rolled on the waves.

Not trying to show up your rooster tail because I always loved them on the Areneson boats but the TriMax drives really made a statement when running hard!!!

THERUSH 08-16-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2654992)
Is that with Cummins B's or C's and is it a 1990?

Mine is a 1992 with the 300HP 6-B's

HabanaJoe 08-16-2008 09:42 PM

Run right around 55 mph or a little faster?

Do the engines have 3" pipes between the intake manifold and the aftercooler instead of the stock 2.5" pipes and hose? Also is there a welded strap on the pipe from the turbo to the aftercooler that is bolted on the engine somewhere?

Do they turn 3,000 or 3,300 rpm's?

THERUSH 08-17-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 2655357)
Run right around 55 mph or a little faster?

Do the engines have 3" pipes between the intake manifold and the aftercooler instead of the stock 2.5" pipes and hose? Also is there a welded strap on the pipe from the turbo to the aftercooler that is bolted on the engine somewhere?

Do they turn 3,000 or 3,300 rpm's?

The best I have gotten on the boat is 52 mph on the GPS.

The OD of the pipe on the two elbows between the aftercooler and the intake manifold measure 2-1/2". The pipe from the turbo has a clamp attached to a long angle that bolts to the flywheel housing.

These engines are set to 2600 rpm.

My thoughts are based on the 12,000lb weight and a true 300 HP per side the boat should really run closer to 60 mph than 50.

wstultz 08-17-2008 02:02 PM

Habana Joe, Were the 40 foot gas models staggerd?

HabanaJoe 08-17-2008 09:01 PM

Easy answers first - 40's were side by side, at least all that I was involved with.

If they are governed for 2,600 I really doubt they are 300 hp. I thought we have a conversation about this boat once before or soemone else with a 40' diesel???

Take those pumps off, take them to a good pump shop, set the deliver at the high end of spec and balance them all to flow at the same cc at max rpm. Don't look for total fuel delivery but balnce all the plungers at max. You might have some inbalance at idle or mid-range but topend will be better and set those pumps for at least 2,800 if not 2,900-3,000 or 1,400+ pump speed. If you can't turn up those revs after that your props are just too big!!!

The Cummins spec was never 2,600 for the 300hp it was 2,800 or 3,000??? but not 2,600 that was the 250hp.

The 2 1/2" question was to see if you had 380hp versions that were turned back down. Some had 2 1/2" pipes but all the 3" where 380 hp engines.

Does it look like the engines were green at one time? If they were then those had their pumps taken off by someone in Fl and set to the low end of 300 hp which means 285 hp at best. Remember Cummins spec is 5% + or - so those engines could be anywhere from 285 hp to 315 hp and still be within spec.

Joe Gere

91 Super Hawaii 08-18-2008 04:41 PM

I do have a 40. They are side by side. I just put 17K into balance & blue printing my 502's (now 509's) Motors, Assemblies, drives and tabs now color coded to the boat. This hull, #11 (they only made 13 when Super Hero) and this hull was bought at the Miami show, was sent back to the factory, and the entire inside was replaced with swede. One of a kind! Except for 2 hours (half hour each on the dyno included) they have only been used one weekend, our poker run this past week. Dyno sheet shows a 45 degree climb until limiters kicked in at 430 hp each (I replaced everything with stock except roller rockers so limited to 5050 RPM) Just given a job change, or I'm looking, and am selling it. Pictures available, did 69 prior to rebuild but GPS speedo needs work (I have had no time) so I will not quote till then, but never hit the limiters prior and I had 9, yes 9 people on board for the HRPA Rendezvous. New guages, vinyl (with new wood in cockpit, drives in 2002, and 2003, and new assemblies in 2005. The motors were box new in 2001. I will be posting it on the classified thread if any interest. Send a PM if you want pics before I get to it.
91 Super Hawaii

HabanaJoe 08-18-2008 05:57 PM

If nothing else post a pic here, I'd love to see it. Is it the blue boat or a white one with like yellow and green flower/plant designs on it?