C-5 Finish Line

Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=StephenA;2683363]
Originally Posted by aex
Proceed with caution ! Talk to Luhrs/Linder about the Arnesons .

Thanks for the advice. I already know Luhrs position on the Arnesons, so I wont even go there.
Be VERY careful........

Shadow/Chris Cats have very deep forward sponson areas and need bow lift to prevent broaching at speed......

Arnesons run at negative shaft angles....so you will need high rake props to offset this shortcoming......and make no mistake....it is a shortcoming.

The Miss America Accident I believe was with Kaama drives, not Arnesons..... and the reason that two fatalities occurred was because there was no easy exit built into the canopies and the occupants drowned after a drive ripped off the transom causing a barrel roll.

T2x
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=aex;2683331] Where can I buy the dvd ? I've got George's # should I call him or does Luhrs have a site where he sells them .
[QUOTE]

You can buy the Big Seas DVD's at........

http://www.historicraceboats.com/

Enjoy......

T2x
Old 09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenA
What power was in the boat at that time, and was that before the canopies? The guys who bought the boat and ran it as Team Eriesistable in the mid 90s had 468s that dynoed at 595 and 605. I believe they had #4s spaced down 3 inches and the best they claimed on the speedo was 98. Just curious.

...and you do have a good bit of Chris Cat trivia stuff...
Regarding past vs present speeds I'm pretty sure as they aged the balsa boats absorbed water and this weight gain would surely affect speeds .
My boat actually leaked water from small cracks in the step area however it was foam and probably less of an absorbtion issue , but still an issue . The foam must absorb a little I'd guess .
Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am sure about the absorption. My take on the lesser speed later was added weight ( canopies etc ) and the fact that 600 horsepower really isn't that much.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aex
Regarding past vs present speeds I'm pretty sure as they aged the balsa boats absorbed water and this weight gain would surely affect speeds .
My boat actually leaked water from small cracks in the step area however it was foam and probably less of an absorbtion issue , but still an issue . The foam must absorb a little I'd guess .
Also you must remember that there are very different dynos in this world. The Jesse James Chris Cat set an officially timed two way Kilo record at over 108 mph with engines....dyno'ed at Mercury... at about 575 hp each. This boat walked all over many other Chris Cats...with as much as 700 hp...."allegedly" dyno rated.

T2x
Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Also you must remember that there are very different dynos in this world. The Jesse James Chris Cat set an officially timed two way Kilo record at over 108 mph with engines....dyno'ed at Mercury... at about 575 hp each. This boat walked all over many other Chris Cats...with as much as 700 hp...."allegedly" dyno rated.

T2x
True. To me, a dyno number is just a baseline number to use as a beginning setup tool. The real story is told once the motors are in the boat. It is in the setup of the entire package.

Dyno numbers sound good when having cocktails, though.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
An OSO member , StephenA , is in possesion of the old Finish Line Chris Cat and commencing a restoration . The boat was numbered C-5 out of New Jersey and ran the North East circuit .
Steve is looking for some photos of it in its heyday .
Any help out there ?
Steve , I'll bet Jeff at Freeze Frame has some stuff for you .
Here is one of the Finish Line & the Maxon Chris Cat from the Northport 200 1984 program.
Attached Thumbnails C-5 Finish Line-finish-line-1.jpg   C-5 Finish Line-northport-200.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Default finishline

I Was Involved With Team Eriesistible\finishline In The Mid Nineties.stephen H Was Correct We Had Roughly 600 Hp The Boat Would Do 88-92 Tops. Heavy Boat But It Ran Good In The Rough Water. John M.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeybandit
It probably isn't the old Smokey. I just don't remember any other all red Chris Cats. But then again, it's been a long time, and my memory gets worse as I get older.
Kurt is that you ? How's Ozzie ? I remember him as a baby .

Ricky "Racer" Conti and Bob Catanzaro bought your red Chris and named it Double Vision 2 .
I called Rick he told me the boat had radical small blocks . He added they were running really well in Key West , hanging with open boats until an electrical short put them out and some time later sold it to Peter Pacovik from Fla.
All the boats from your stable ran well and thanks again for always lending a hand or doling out advice .
Jimmy

On a sad note Ricky Racer towed Spirit of Miss Liberty back to Ft Lauderdale after the crash . A trim cylinder mounted to the transom where a hole had been plugged caused the failure . It did have Kaamas . He told me every time he looked in the rear view mirror he got sick .
Returning the truck and boat to the family must have really been hard .
He also added cockpit access was tough on the boat as T2x had indicated earlier . He said they scrambled to make the race and it sounded like the cockpit may have been a work in progress .
Old 09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MASOMAN
I Was Involved With Team Eriesistible\finishline In The Mid Nineties.stephen H Was Correct We Had Roughly 600 Hp The Boat Would Do 88-92 Tops. Heavy Boat But It Ran Good In The Rough Water. John M.
Hi John. Hope all is well with you! Say hi to Gary and Walt when you see them!

Quick Reply: C-5 Finish Line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.