Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Achilli Motors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/199366-achilli-motors.html)

olli 11-25-2008 01:14 PM

Achilli Motors

I found this pic in the programme of the '94 Belgian GP. The text beside it says built in Aluminum by Stain. I am sure that text refers to an other hull. This doesn't look like an ali boat to me. That boat was not in Oostende back then and I can't remember that I have ever seen that hull elsewhere. Any ideas?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...400/ach001.jpg

flying fish 11-26-2008 01:58 AM

94 Achilli

Youv`e dug out a good one there `Olli`.It`s not the 94 stain boat or the 95 cuv.One for inspector Marco to sort, although he is pretty exhausted at present having spent the last 12 months investigating cuv cats.I like to give him an interest now and then.In actual fact it looks very much like Polli`s Aurantium `Bilboa` in 95,but I have no record of it as `Achilli`.Perhaps it was built in 94 for Achilli then Polli bought it.That`s the problem with results,you need to know the builder of the boat which raced.

olli 11-26-2008 09:01 AM

It really reminds one of Polli's boat with those canopies so close together and the same colour but I think Bilboa was larger than the one above and this does not look like an Accampora design. It certainly was a fast boat in its days the more I wonder that it has disappeared. BT knows more about it for sure.

shifter 11-26-2008 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was the boat in 1991. It had the diablo cockpit but it was really draggy. the little winglet was put on to deflect the air in the pocket. In 92 it had a single bubble canopy with a center scoop, ugly..... I think they stuffed it and took out the windshield. It could be the same boat with the Nooxy canopy/cuv. Looks the same as far as the base boat.

I was with Victory at the time but I do not remember that version. I remenber the 41 cuv in st. tropez bobing in the water after the freak wing gust with Bilba 40 skater....That should have been 95. I will look tomorrow. I still have the paper from the next day.

pat W

flying fish 11-27-2008 02:05 AM

Achilli Update

Had a good trawl through the fish files and the clouds have parted.
`Olli`s` pic is the intial boat Achilli began the 94 season with.A new Sergio Abrami craft.It delaminated in first race at St.Tropez and didn`t do much in the next race at San Remo either.Then he used the stain cat from then on until he went for the cuv boat in the Emirates race in November in preparation for his 95 campaign.3 boats in one season,no wonder I found it difficult to trace.Thanks for being the catalyst `Olli` to get my records straight.

flying fish 11-27-2008 02:18 AM

Achilli Update 2

I forgot to add, the Sergio Abrami craft was a composite.

olli 11-27-2008 03:31 AM

Thank you very much for the info, flying fish. But shame on me! I have to admit that I have never heard of Sergio Abrami before.
It always surprises me when designers/shipyards come out of nowhere (as far as powerboats are concerned) and start right into the heavyweight division of offshore racing. Like the Aurantium Bilboa you mentioned earlier. When Polli brought it back then Aurantium was new to me and I still don't know anything about them. Take Mion's SM Racer built by a shipyard called C4. Don't know anything about them too. Perhaps they are known for products in other fields of the (marine) industry like Revenge, Goetz or ACX.
However these boats were nice exotics in times when there was time and money to experiment.

shifter 11-27-2008 01:56 PM

Auratium was Polli's shop in Milan (Busto Garolfo) where they used to service the raceboats.

He was using tencara, Codecasa due and Stain before that for the other boats.

What other boats did sergio make?

pat W

MOBILEMERCMAN 11-27-2008 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An older one

Attachment 369136

olli 11-28-2008 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by shifter (Post 2748605)
Auratium was Polli's shop in Milan (Busto Garolfo) where they used to service the raceboats.

Thank you for the info shifter. Do you think they had the facilities and ability to build that boat themselves? Would like to know more about Aurantium.

Regarding Sergio Mion I have no idea if he had other boats before or after. Black Tornado could tell us more about all that I think.

@MOBILEMERCMAN: thanks for the pic.