Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig >

Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Notices

Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Just curious if anyone has info on the cig flat deck in the episode of the great mc carthy.

The boat was called Renegade # 44.

Just wondering what type of power and top speeds it would have had back in those days and if it still exists, be cool to see some current pics of it.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Can't help you with that one....but the red boat, Red Ryder, a very rare 38' MSV is in Norwalk, CT.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsa Quest
Can't help you with that one....but the red boat, Red Ryder, a very rare 38' MSV is in Norwalk, CT.

At the begining of all the miami vice episodes they show a bunch of boats that look like they are racing. You see Red Ryder at the back of the pack. The original owner brought it to our shop wondering why it was so slow. who ever rigged it origially must have measured the X dim from the top down, The friggin trim rams rode through the water. a real f*ck up.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

I heard the same thing abour RR about poor rig! The 38 Renegade I saw in 85' was the same in the MVice show, 540 Hawks? 3s , Kevlar,Nice looking rig.Don't know where it is now , Probably a repaint by now!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Registered

I wonder what the top speed would have been
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe Renegade was owned by Jerry Asaile(sp?).
Boat was kept in Lawrence NY.
Probably went south for the winters.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Renegade

I believeTom is correct, 540 Hawks. Renegade was at Turnberry Isle quite a bit in the 1980's. If you do a search on the Great McCarthy you'll see post by myself and others. Larry Goldman took care of most of the boats at Turnberry at the time, that's why they wound up in Miami Vice because Larry did a lot of the boat driving in the TV show. Both Larry and Craig Barrie would know for sure, Craig's dad's 38 was there as well.

My speed answer probably won't endear me to flat deck guys, but is was just about 70. Remember, the original boat show 38' Cover Girl on ran 72-73 in the magazine test and that boat has a half cabin. Cover Girl was (possiibly still is) owned by an old buddy of Tom and mine, Ray Clary. He originally changed the name to Blown Income, then to Top Fuel, then back to Blown Income.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
I believeTom is correct, 540 Hawks. Renegade was at Turnberry Isle quite a bit in the 1980's. If you do a search on the Great McCarthy you'll see post by myself and others. Larry Goldman took care of most of the boats at Turnberry at the time, that's why they wound up in Miami Vice because Larry did a lot of the boat driving in the TV show. Both Larry and Craig Barrie would know for sure, Craig's dad's 38 was there as well.

My speed answer probably won't endear me to flat deck guys, but is was just about 70. Remember, the original boat show 38' Cover Girl on ran 72-73 in the magazine test and that boat has a half cabin. Cover Girl was (possiibly still is) owned by an old buddy of Tom and mine, Ray Clary. He originally changed the name to Blown Income, then to Top Fuel, then back to Blown Income.
Larry, a good friend of mine, did'nt do alot of driving for MM productions. OPBRA was first approached by Moby and I to put "a few" boats together for a "small" "private" boat race to Bimini. Larry, because he was detailing boats at Turnberry at the time, knew many of the people who wanted (dreamed) of being on the show.

The biggest star of the ep was a guy named Craig Maudsly who had a 30' Shadow cat at the time. I ended up in a boat called "Bad Company" with Gary Jeffries. The original teleplay called for a "private" race to run to Bimini with the boat switch(originally to be a 44' Tempest) to occure there. Because of permitting problems and the massive amount of boats that showed up for the first production meeting, things changed. John Nicolella, supervising producer, made the call to change the tone of the "race" breaking one of Mann's rules for the show... NO RED! No red boats, cars, etc. Because of this, Nicolella was blammed for "The Great McCarthey" being one of the worst rated of the Miami Vice Ep's.

In the end the 44' Tempest was replaced with a 50' Cary owned by Jimmy Bryant, an Oakland Park, Fl Toyota dealer. The bimini scenes where shot in anglefish creek by Ocean reef with production staging on Elliot Key. The race party was at Nixon's Mansion.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

So who drove Red Ryder in the episode?

I met Moby back in those days. I think I still have his business card somewhere, if I remember correctlly he had a production company. He liked the looks of my friends' 41 Apache Jenny's Express and said he thought it would look good on screen. But I think by that time much of the boat TV & movie shots were kind of fading away at that time so nothing ever transpired..

I remember the shots of Bad Company chine walking pretty hard in what looked like Government Cut.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Larry Drove Red Ryder, but the gig didnt happen because, as it was stated, Larry used to drive alot on Miami Vice.

The only shots of Bad Company where in the opening scenes(featured in the rest of the episodes preambles), and one fleeting shot off Elliot key as all the boats ran around a check bouy.

Unfortunately Offshore does'nt sell like we think it should. Mann spent 22 mil in the MV film on the boating scenes alone and most of them were cut from the theatrical release.(this includes ALL of the racing scenes). People will watch what people can relate to. NASCAR is an easy fit because we all drive cars... the genius behind early stock-car racing was that they put racers behind the wheels of cars that were "stock". People could relate. The average American thinks boating is something you do in freshwater and usually involves worms and a fishing pole. We have a very small and deteriorating audience.

Quick Reply: Miami Vice The great mc carthy Renegade Cig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.