Notices

Diesel Dancer ??

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Dancer ??

Do any of you guys remember a boat called diesel dancer which raced in The Worlds in Alantic City in 1989 ???

Last edited by Martin W; 01-01-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel Dancer

Go to www.boatmad.com. Look in `General Discussion `and select `The Planatec Project`.Plenty there on it being restored.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that the yellow and red boat? I keep trying to recall a boat from 89, it had Saber engines and Merc drives on it?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Registered

Default Diesel Dancer

Yep,that`s the boat,built in 1974 as ABO, A sister boat to Unoembassy,but that had Kiekhaefers and was OPI.
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Dancer ??-abo-1974-.jpg   Diesel Dancer ??-uno-embassy-1974-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered

That's the one I made references to on here a few times.

The trans were hydraulic with a torque coverter set-up if I recall similar to the type of trans you have on the lifting drum of a crane??? They used that to slip the trans to get rpm to get boost to get on plane. That boat gave me the ideas that we went to Twin Disc with which started our adventures into a modified trolling valve on a Twin Disc trans.

If you recall there was also a AUS boat (V-hull) at the 89 worlds, I want to say purple and green that had I think had the tri-turboed Merlins in her???? What sticks out about her is she looked like an Apache 41, very pretty boat if I recall but ran like crap - well that was those Merlin enegines you see well boats did with those!!!!

Joe Gere
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Registered

JoeY

Your comment about the Aussie boat has me thinking!

I'm sure it would have been a boat with the rather unfortunate name of "Down Undies", owned by a Gold Coast guy by the name of Robert Voges. The boat was green and was about 38 ft long. It did run the Merlins but for the life of me I can't recall the hill type. I'll do some further research but my memory is that it was a fairly unknown brand here ( but based on the usual Cigarette/Apache hull).

The boat came back to Australia but the Merlins were absolute hand grenades. Robert gave up on it and the last I heard the boat had gone to Sydney minus engines where I think it became the inevitable pleasure boat.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Registered

Pete,

I glad you remember, sometimes I think I imagine these things!!!! I can see the boat in the water idleing just in front of where the Trump yacht as as we were circling and she came by and I remember I turned around and followed her, this was a day or so before the first race.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Registered

Default Down Undies

Down Undies was a new 37ft Lear Hull,with 2 x 720hp Merlins.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying fish
Down Undies was a new 37ft Lear Hull,with 2 x 720hp Merlins.

Thanks Flying Fish! That hull type has been bugging me for 2 days now! Don't suppose you have a photo in your extensive library??

Any idea where the Lear hull came from? It bore a remarkable resemblance to a 35 Cigarette, if I recall.

I think Robert ran the boat in class 2. It may have won a minor race here in Australia in the early 90's before Robert parked the boat.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a grey Lear in the classifieds about 2 years ago. The ad said it was a Cig splash.

I would like to see a picture of that raceboat, too. Now come on, that were the worlds, someone has to have pics of it.

Quick Reply: Diesel Dancer ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.