That's terrible news.

RIP.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by priceb
That's terrible news.

RIP.
last few years had moved back to Sydney and was suffering from Alzeimers.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Registered

Mate, that just gets worse.

Is there anyone who could post a bio and pics on here for everyone to read. He sounded like a fantastic Aussie that never really got the credit he deserved.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 85 Posts

Is there anyone who could post a bio and pics on here for everyone to read. He sounded like a fantastic Aussie that never really got the credit he deserved.
I am in Florida now so can't get to the HORBA archives, but I knew Arnold and raced against him many times. He was a fun guy with a twisted sense of humor. He bought many of the former race boats that the Americans raced and just carried on, not even bothering to change the names most of the time. Copper Kettle, Sabre Dance, and a couple of Tom Gentry's boats. Had some really good guys for crews too, like Mel Riggs.

At one point he even owned the famous Cigarette that Don had used to win the world championship and then sold to the Carr brothers and they were killed in it.

Arnold was a major auto importer for Australia and he also loved to fly old military jets.

He would leave his race boat in the states and fly back and forth for the race dates. On the way to and from he would often stop in Hong Kong.

He told a story of one of his stops in Hong Kong, he was seated in a very fine restaurant next to a woman from Paris. The woman was trying to make the waiter understand that she wanted some food for her little poodle that she had on her lap. The waiter finally makes an expression that he gets it and he gently takes the little poodle and with a big smile he goes off behind the kitchen door.

Arnold said that he knew was going to happen, so he quickly finished his meal and got out of range so to speak......yup, the waiter comes back a few minutes later with the little poodle on a silver tray with an apple in it's mouth....he thought the woman wanted the dog for dinner and had it cooked and prepared as they do in Hong Kong. the woman went ballistic.

May he rest in peace.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Registered

if you go to Autosport and to the nostaliga section their is a thread on his life and car racing and various bits about his aircraft hobby.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

Default my great uncle

Originally Posted by Top Banana
I am in Florida now so can't get to the HORBA archives, but I knew Arnold and raced against him many times. He was a fun guy with a twisted sense of humor. He bought many of the former race boats that the Americans raced and just carried on, not even bothering to change the names most of the time. Copper Kettle, Sabre Dance, and a couple of Tom Gentry's boats. Had some really good guys for crews too, like Mel Riggs.

At one point he even owned the famous Cigarette that Don had used to win the world championship and then sold to the Carr brothers and they were killed in it.

Arnold was a major auto importer for Australia and he also loved to fly old military jets.

He would leave his race boat in the states and fly back and forth for the race dates. On the way to and from he would often stop in Hong Kong.

He told a story of one of his stops in Hong Kong, he was seated in a very fine restaurant next to a woman from Paris. The woman was trying to make the waiter understand that she wanted some food for her little poodle that she had on her lap. The waiter finally makes an expression that he gets it and he gently takes the little poodle and with a big smile he goes off behind the kitchen door.

Arnold said that he knew was going to happen, so he quickly finished his meal and got out of range so to speak......yup, the waiter comes back a few minutes later with the little poodle on a silver tray with an apple in it's mouth....he thought the woman wanted the dog for dinner and had it cooked and prepared as they do in Hong Kong. the woman went ballistic.

May he rest in peace.
My name is rielle Berglund my grandmother is Rae doreen glass she is Arnold glass's only sister.

my grandmother was not very close with Arnold after their teenage years and doesnt have many photo's of him or much information to share with me i would love to hear any stories you have about him or see any pictures you may have as im trying to make an album of him to share with the rest of my family... anything you have would be wonderful and if you could get me in contact with anyone who may be able to assist my search. my email is [email protected] and im sure u can contact me on here as well.

thankyou rielle
Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Arnold Glass with Peter Dean and Kevin Wyld was the driver who has made known the Australia to the offshore racing, a world almost exclusively of Europeans and Americans.
But his 13 wins are all in the Australian national championship by beating his eternal rival Peter Dean.
Unlike Dean that he came out of the Australian continent only rarely,Glass alternated competitions with the more famous and competitive U.S. national championship to rent or buy second-hand boats like Cigarette 36' or Bertram 38' of Satullo and Lance Taines but did not achieve any victory there.
But compete in the Australian championship meant the true offshore racing.
In fact, while in Europe and in USA the competitions in the seventies were becoming more and more circuits coastal races or so and if the sea was a little hard the boats remained on the docks, in Australia was a rule run courses with seas "impossible".
Therefore we can imagine the taste and value was a victory in those races.
Richie Powers could testify to this.
Goodbye Arnold. May your soul continue to run on any type of vehicle power and speed as you wanted here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Black Tornado; 02-08-2011 at 05:43 PM.