1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39 >

1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39

Notices

1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39

Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
Does anybody kno what happened to the 39 Competition Don Aronow built for Roger Penske? It was so KOOL looking: Sunoco Blue with Yellow pinstriping just like Roger's racing cars. I know it may have been sold and no longer sporting that liverry. Little Nige or Black Tornado- can you chime in?

Wannabe
CAM 2 the name of that 40'(not a 39') of Roger Penske that in Key west 1976 became Really Ridicolous for D. Smith with the sides in red and then in 1977 it was renamed Diamond Don.
After I haven't other info about it.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Only pics I have managed to obtain.....
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Registered

oops...are here!
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39-penske-1.jpg   1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39-penske-2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered

And who's gonna pay 190 when this is 50 less? (still too much!)

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977.../United-States
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 39'

yea i have 1980 39' cig, with #3's and twin 700s'(give or take a few) it did 70-75
currently putting #5's on it now

here's a pic
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977.../United-States
Check out the engine ignition boxes, very old school!
For some reason my link doesn't work, click on littleniges link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scara...mZ150329166593
I think this was a screaming deal! It took all my self control not to hit the bid button.

Last edited by Mike Bontoft; 03-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Tornado
CAM 2 the name of that 40'(not a 39') of Roger Penske that in Key west 1976 became Really Ridicolous for D. Smith with the sides in red and then in 1977 it was renamed Diamond Don.
After I haven't other info about it.
Sorry Marco incorrect: The 40` Cig for Diamond Don was a bare hull 40` that Kiekhaefer had laying around the barn in Fondulac for several years the original gelcoat was the colors of the Diamond Don boat. I did the first test and set-up work with the boat, which I stated in other posts?? This boat had the prototype Kiekhaefer drives on it, predesesor to the # 6 we know today. The upper housing was fixed straight and the lower unit steered, wish there was some documentation for them, I`m sure there is maybe Nigel could get some pix????
anyway: when the boat was first put in the water Dick Schwartz tryed to drive it with the new drive system and it was out of control. I was with Bonomi at the time and was on my way home from Europe when Mr. K. called and asked if I would test the boat for him, I did and encountered the same thing, boat was uncontrollable, the more I tested I finally figured out that the steering helm ratio was wrong, it was two turns lock to lock so any input in the wheel exaggerated the steering at the drive almost double. We changed the helm and slowed the steering and the boat could now be driven wide open hands off the wheel. This is what many racers today don`t understand that it was guys like me who had to figure all those things out, things that were new and experimental, guess that`s why we were called test drivers, we had to relate what was going on to the engineers then it was up to them to come up with the solution. As for the Sunoco boat, not sure where it ended up, also FYI Mark Donahue rode in the boat as well, and I think Barry Cordingly, who was Don`s test Driver.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
As for the Sunoco boat, not sure where it ended up, also FYI Mark Donahue rode in the boat as well, and I think Barry Cordingly, who was Don`s test Driver.
Richie......good post...here is a photo of Don and Roger Penske and Jay Signore, who worked for Roger Penske. They are going over the details of the Sunoco boat as the boat is being delivered.

Jay was the guy who headed up Roger's special projects like starting the IROC series and also making the street versions of the Camaros that Don, Magoon and I had.
Attached Thumbnails 1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39-donald-aronow0034-small-.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Richie, thank you for having correct me.
Then Really Ridicolous that raced to Key West 1976 was a 40' original.
The long job that Graham (flying fish) and me are doing for cataloging all the boats that have effected at least a start at an offshore race is helped a lot by people as you that the facts have directly lived and that they remember well still today.
Thanks again for everything.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by magcig29
yea i have 1980 39' cig, with #3's and twin 700s'(give or take a few) it did 70-75
currently putting #5's on it now

here's a pic
What a great looking boat. Classic lines. I suspect yours is heavier being a non-race boat. Undoubtedly a wave crusher.

wannabe

Quick Reply: 1981 Cigarette Bacardi race champion boat- Coors Silver Bullet 39

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.