Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Anyone have any info on Martini boats? >

Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Notices

Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to contact a member here,"conquistador del mar", he sold a 26 martini recently I think, but you could check with him. He has owned many boats and could give a good perspective imo. I remember he was impressed with the way it handled. Cant remember if it was a single or twins...
A guy I know had a Corsa 26 with a monster 632ci / Imco drive setup that was pretty sick, low 90's and solid.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat
It's actually Robert Michael Bower (my uncle) ... no, "s". The very first original Martini was constructed in his brother's backyard, from a mold Bob had purchased. Years later, after Martini had begun to make a name for themselves (Please note: Martini/Corsa is the only off-shore race boat company, that started in the 70s, that remained in business past the 90s). This boat was a 7 meter boat. A couple years later, they added a 9 meter. The 7M went bye bye and they eventually added a 12M ... However, if you really wanted a 7M, it could be arranged, as all boats were custom made.

As time went by, Martini phased out and by the early to mid 80's, Corsa took it's place - but was based on the original Martini mold. You could say, Martini is to Corsa, as Datsun is to Nissan.
Sorry about the "S". Bob bought my 46 sunbird after he bought the molds.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen one on the Illinois Chain. It has a white bottom and deck. The sides are blue awesome looking boat. I've spoken to the owner of his boat he really likes his boat a lot. It's an early 80s 26' Martini.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Pantera MAY be the only manufacturer, you mentioned, that did originate the 70s. I know Cigarette started in the 60s; along with Formula, Donzi and Magnum. However, although Pantera's first manufacturing plant began in 1975, I believe the company and the name itself dates back to 1968 or 69 ... but I could be wrong about that one .. so I stand partially corrected.

My ascertain, "Martini/Corsa was the only off-shore race boat company - which originated in the 70s - that still remained in business past the 90's," was based on companies originating in the 70s... not to those established prior to 1970.

In the 1970s, the drug trafficking market was HUGE. One of the boats I ran around in (hey, I was 17) was Miss Italia, a 24.5' [7M] Martini. I quickly discovered just how fast those boats were; when early one evening, I noticed some flashing lights, from the sheriff's department pursuit boat, closing in behind me (no it wasn't drugs... I was going too fast in a no wake zone). But, hey, it's the Atlantic Ocean... Let's go full throttle and see what happens... About 90 seconds later, they were completely out of sight. I had them by at least 25-30 knots!

A boat with that kind of size, speed and power; more than enough to out run any border patrol or law enforcement agency - not to mention the boats custom made for speed that did well over 100 - made them the perfect candidate for smugglers. I remember one afternoon, 2 government agents came into the office and asked for info about one of our buyers. My uncle's reply was simply, "I don't know what they do, where the money comes from or why they want it. And I don't care. I don't ask questions about anything not related to the manufacture of the boat. A customer comes in, tells me he wants a boat... I ask him what does he want to boat to do (speed, distance, fishing rigs, etc). I then tell him what it will cost and when I see the cash, he gets his boat. End of the deal and end of the conversation.

You see, Martini/Corsa never got into bed with anyone. During the 70's, many new boating companies formed. All of them were closed down or arrested on conspiracy, fraud, obstruction, or some other drug related charges. You could say, Martini/Corsa's, "Don't ask. Don't tell.", policy kept them going, where others failed.

Back to the agents... At the end of the meeting, the agents complained, "But we can't catch your boats!" My uncle calmly informed them, "I can sell you a boat that can." Believe it or not, the government wanted to, "borrow," the boats. That didn't happen either. A few months later, another agent came by and placed an order for a couple new boats.

My uncle has always said, "No cash. No splash."
Old 01-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a brand new 1979,mine had the curved windshield,trs and a big block GREAT boat!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

They also made a 8 meter "Sprint"
Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Sorry, Lee. Neither Martini or Corsa ever made an 8M. They only had 7, 9 & 12 M boat molds. In time, the 7 meter was, "mothballed," and taken off the manufacturing floor, into storage.

However, I do seem to remember one or two boats being, "altered," in someways, after the molding process. So, I'm not denying the possibility may exist. But, given the added costs of alteration, why would someone want some special order 8M, for more than it would cost for the 9M?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Firecat
Sorry, Lee. Neither Martini or Corsa ever made an 8M. They only had 7, 9 & 12 M boat molds. In time, the 7 meter was, "mothballed," and taken off the manufacturing floor, into storage.

However, I do seem to remember one or two boats being, "altered," in someways, after the molding process. So, I'm not denying the possibility may exist. But, given the added costs of alteration, why would someone want some special order 8M, for more than it would cost for the 9M?
Exhibit 1&2
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-corsa5.jpg   Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-corsa4.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 03:27 AM
Registered

That's weird ... the 7M Martini was slightly revamped when it became Corsa, then it was actually a 7.7 M... I didn't realize they started considering it an 8M all of a sudden. Weirder still, in 1985, I was in there all the time, and I honestly didn't realize it.

Thank you for pointing out my error.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee
Exhibit 1&2
Here is a pic of Lee's Corsa.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any info on Martini boats?-corsa-1985-lees-011.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone have any info on Martini boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.