Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   chris craft 8 meter project (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/210501-chris-craft-8-meter-project.html)

excalibur1979 06-08-2009 08:23 AM

chris craft 8 meter project

I have a chris craft 8 meter project sitting at my shop. Has new transom and engine bedders. This is a beautiful boat and I hate to get rid of it but I have 4 other boats and no time for this one. Come make offer. Don't know how to post pics but I can email them 727-992-0467 Ryan Boat is located in Port Richey, FL

h2oboater 06-13-2009 12:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by excalibur1979 (Post 2883072)
I have a chris craft 8 meter project sitting at my shop. Has new transom and engine bedders. This is a beautiful boat and I hate to get rid of it but I have 4 other boats and no time for this one. Come make offer. Don't know how to post pics but I can email them 727-992-0467 Ryan Boat is located in Port Richey, FL

They are cool boats, Here is one from Lake St Clair that I here will be at our Old School Reunion II June 20th..

phughes69 06-14-2009 10:27 PM

What is the story on about the Chris Craft 8 meter? I have not heard about this model. When were they made? Was this the precursor to the 390 Stinger?

Lee 06-15-2009 09:07 AM

They have a unique cockpit set up, the helm is in the back seat.

h2oboater 06-15-2009 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by phughes69 (Post 2888222)
What is the story on about the Chris Craft 8 meter? I have not heard about this model. When were they made? Was this the precursor to the 390 Stinger?

These were made around 1975 in a limited production, long before the Stinger. They had a good and bad short history in offshore racing. The Bad,, the first death in offshore racing happened on Lake St Clair, Walt Burns was killed in the Maverick, CC owned by Steve Baum. The Good, new safety rules came out of this tragedy, and Steve made the 32' Maverick race boats from this hull. [Maverick & Miss Gallo, Break Out]

moller01 03-01-2010 03:19 AM

Do you still have the Chris Craft 8 meter project for sale ?

/Lars, [email protected]

Dzrtcj7 03-01-2010 10:04 AM

The hull lines look VERY similar to a 36' 1968 Chris Craft Corvette my family used to have.

Our understanding is that the '68 was a 1 in 5 prototype for offshore racing. It was 36' long, 27 deg bottom, 12' beam and twin 427 Fords. It was all mahogany, but had nearly identical lines to the Maverick S-7.

The story we got from an old boy that worked for Chris Craft in the 60's was the boats were designed with the help of Jim Wynn. Of the 5, 2 recieved fiberglass cabins and 427's, and 3 were flat deck and set up to race. Not sure how true that story is, but it is all the information we have.

We know that hull design was used in later years, but no other specifics.

I would love to know any more history you may know about these boats.

**** Edit: Looks like some info has turned up in recent years, sorry for the thread hijack - http://www.chris-craft.org/wiki/index.php/Corvette ****

SHAWNA 03-01-2010 11:48 AM

A friend and I bought the 8 meter hull mold from Chris-Craft when they auctioned off everything when the Holland Michigan plant shut down. It had been sitting out in the field right-side up and full of water (and ice) in the winter for several years. it was in bad shape, but we were going to make it big in the boat building business! Well, it never happened and eventually the mold was destroyed. Still kinda bummed that something didn't come from the failed venture.

Shawn

excalibur1979 03-01-2010 08:14 PM

I sold my 24 excalibur and decided to go on with the project. The top cap was butchered and rotten so I tossed it. Now it will be a hot rod center console with a 496 and bravo set up. I will post pics throughout the project.

SHAWNA 03-02-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by excalibur1979 (Post 3057934)
I sold my 24 excalibur and decided to go on with the project. The top cap was butchered and rotten so I tossed it. Now it will be a hot rod center console with a 496 and bravo set up. I will post pics throughout the project.

Excellent! I would enjoy seeing your progress. Please keep us up-to-date with pics.!

Thanks,
Shawn