Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Restoring a squadron 12 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/235691-restoring-squadron-12-a.html)

81squadronxii 07-28-2010 10:35 AM

Restoring a squadron 12

I am in the process of restoring a squadron 12. But my question is, I want to update the restoration with a new color scheme, bigger motors, new upholstery, etc; my only concern is should i restore the boat to its original condition for value purposes or does it matter? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

cash68 07-28-2010 10:52 AM

Restoring any boat = flushing money down the toilet, so just do what makes you happy. Nothing is going to make a profit, unless you're really lucky. That said, I would rather have a period correct boat, than an older boat with a "modern" interior and "modern" graphics. I emphasize modern, because powerboating style is generally stuck in 1996. A lot of newer boats look hilariously awful.

26 Spyder 07-28-2010 12:01 PM

I am restoring/rebuilding a 27 Squadron XII. I am going back to a custom look, still classic but with a modern touch here and there, especially the power and drive...

Send me an email, I would like to see pics of your project.
There are very few Squadron owners out there, we should stick together!
[email protected]

JnT 07-28-2010 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 81squadronxii (Post 3169787)
I am in the process of restoring a squadron 12. But my question is, I want to update the restoration with a new color scheme, bigger motors, new upholstery, etc; my only concern is should i restore the boat to its original condition for value purposes or does it matter? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Is yours the one in Marietta GA? If so I stopped by your shop a while back hoping it was for sale! I would go back original with maybe some subtle updates. If you paint it like a newer Cig I would definitely stick with the old Squadron logos instead of writing Cigarette on it. I've seen a few Cigs around but never a SquadronXII.

Tom A. 07-29-2010 07:59 AM

I am big on the resto-mod idea of the older boats. Modern drive lines and electronics, understated interiors, and a timeless paint scheme. White Deck and hull bottom and solid color sides with an accent stripe is the way I would do mine.
Look at the Playboy Cigs and Donzi Classics. No matter what colors are "in" they never look outdated.
Also, def. put the Squadron XII logos back on and don't re-label it as a Cigarette.

MILD THUNDER 07-29-2010 11:19 AM

Two of my friends have older 38 flatdeck cigarettes. Both of them kept the original theme. Both boats are super clean, and they kept the original pleated/tuck-n-roll style cockpit vinyl, even the big stainless horns on the decks. I absolutly love how they kept them correct, even with the old morse throttles. Custom is cool, but i think originality is the way to go.

Kind of like going to a car show. I'd rather see a 100 percent original restored hemi cuda, than one with recaro seats, big wheels, and crazy paint job.

Stormrider 07-29-2010 02:14 PM

Keeping it original = a time machine.

I'd paint it like one of the poster boats.
I'm assuming you have a 27ft???

Shore Thing 07-29-2010 03:24 PM

I like classic cars and boats that have a modern spin to them. I'm not that sentimental I guess, but why spend all that money to have a boat that looks like it's a 1981? I'd rather have a boat with timeless lines, but the appearance of a 2010.

The trick is to be subtle and classy with it.

JMHO.

cash68 07-29-2010 04:20 PM

Yeah but usually an older boat with "modern" graphics looks dated the minute it is finished, since "modern graphics" in the powerboating realm are usually about 10 years behind the times.

30ctsutphen 07-29-2010 04:31 PM

My buddy has a 24 squadron XII thats never been rigged.

Probably the only one of its kind.

I am not a cig guy so I dont much about them but I know the hull has never been cut.