Any veterans of the Hennessy or Benihana Grand Prix in Pt. Pleasant >

Any veterans of the Hennessy or Benihana Grand Prix in Pt. Pleasant

Notices

Any veterans of the Hennessy or Benihana Grand Prix in Pt. Pleasant

Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any veterans of the Hennessy or Benihana Grand Prix in Pt. Pleasant

Looking for anyone that was intimate with these races...spectators, competitors, mechanics, crew, etc. My father was president of the Pt. Pleasant Bch. chamber of commerce and the Kiwanis club during the sponsorship transition. I remember my dad having Rocky Aoki over for dinner to discuss being the new sponsor.

All of us kids of the "powers that be", would help out with the pre-race events and such. It always gave us a front row seat at the events...well, not the race dinners of course. Later in years I got to meet and socialize with alot of the crews and racers year after year (Bob (Doc) Magoon, Sandy Satullo, Bill Wisnick, Bety Cook, etc). In 1980-81 I worked part time at the Cristex headquarters (Performance Racing Engines).

Living in Pt. Pleasant Bch. was a wonderful ride with all the events that took place and I always looked forward to day you would hear those engines roar! Now if only our inner tube race was that exciting....
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: HILLSBOROUGH, NJ OCEAN BEACH, NJ & LIDO KEY FLORIDA
Default Point Pleasant Race

My Wife's Uncle Was Involved Back Then In Coordinating Ther Race's,7 Activities. He Was Involved With The Chamber & Kiwanans.
His Name Is Gabe Quinones
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by digger1
Looking for anyone that was intimate with these races...spectators, competitors, mechanics, crew, etc. My father was president of the Pt. Pleasant Bch. chamber of commerce and the Kiwanis club during the sponsorship transition. I remember my dad having Rocky Aoki over for dinner to discuss being the new sponsor.

All of us kids of the "powers that be", would help out with the pre-race events and such. It always gave us a front row seat at the events...well, not the race dinners of course. Later in years I got to meet and socialize with alot of the crews and racers year after year (Bob (Doc) Magoon, Sandy Satullo, Bill Wisnick, Bety Cook, etc). In 1980-81 I worked part time at the Cristex headquarters (Performance Racing Engines).

Living in Pt. Pleasant Bch. was a wonderful ride with all the events that took place and I always looked forward to day you would hear those engines roar! Now if only our inner tube race was that exciting....
ah yes the tube race have not missed one yet my mom was the first women in the race 1972 remember all the kegs on the beach and thousands of people, just like the hennessey had at one time and you would not even see the boats for 40 minutes at a time on the fire island leg those were the days
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Registered

Sonny Miller, here. '44 MSV La Tortuga

Last edited by CAL500; 10-18-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I was an avid fan starting in the mid 1970's. This led to me racing, currently a class 6 boat, 606 Lock'd Up.
CAL500,what ever happened to the LaTortuga?? There was a thread a while ago about this boat-no one seemed to know it's whereabouts.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered

I built the plug and mold to 44 ft. the la tortuga was the third hull that was 44 ft in length.some of the 38 ft hulls I sold to mr.halpern for his beep beep team and some pleasure boats he had sold.funny someother people out there in the past have tried to claim they were the designer and builder of my molds.also I used the same mold to build msv38/cobra38/celebrity38/ fun marine 38. sm
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered

44 had great lines . la tortuga was in last in point but all other boat misssed check point , and he was the winner
Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered

We Used To Race When Roky The Benihana Grand Prik That Year We Wont The Best Looking Boat And Crew El Boss Racing Team
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I raced in the 1976 and 1978 Benihana Grand Prix. Raced two different 27 Magnum sports in the P Class

Thank you
Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 AM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

took first in Production class 1972, and sports class in 1974

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.