Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
1986 272 SR1 w/350 @ 1042 hrs - any life left? >

1986 272 SR1 w/350 @ 1042 hrs - any life left?

Notices

1986 272 SR1 w/350 @ 1042 hrs - any life left?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1986 272 SR1 w/350 @ 1042 hrs - any life left?

Hello. Saw this boat and was wondering about it, may go look at it. IF the stringers, bulkhead, and transom are not rotted, looks like a nice little setup to play with.

But 1042 hours on the motors? I have read that the 350 mags will go really long and people report over 1200 hours, but I wonder on these. That seems to be near the line on time to rebuild.

If I go look at it, what is the best thing to check on the motors? I know a wet and dry compression test will tell the ring and valve sealing, but anything else to study on it?

The 27' range seems like it would give me some inland lake use around Indiana in addition to SW michigan ports over a larger 311.

Thank you to any who can help,

Brian

http://www.waterwerks.com/pre_owned_...R0&veh=2234464
Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the motors are probably a little tired but it all depends on how hard the owner uses the boat , it looks very nice for the age it would defininately be worth it to get a survey if you're real serious about it
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would approach it with the idea that long blocks, manifolds and risers are around the corner.This is going to bite you for $4K~$5K on a good day with hard shopping. The drives are probably at or near the end of their service life as well....which can add another $2K buying good used stuff. With evidence of solid maintenance you could easily stretch a season or two out of it with a little luck. If there is no evidence or documentation of periodic maintenance...you're going to be on thin ice with regard to what breaks first. Think about it as 25 seasons of use.

With understanding of all of the above....and the boat is solid, it's probably worth $5K~$6K tops. If there is any work to be done due to stringer or transom rot...walk away ...unless you're bored and need a project.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look into it further. That is a very clean looking boat. I would have to think from the condition that the owner has freshened up the motors and drives as well as other stuff but pictures dont tell everything. If you are really interested go take a look first hand and as stated it is a 25 year old boat with "double trouble".