Notices

1981 Pantera 28ft on Ebay for $5999

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default A lot ;)

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Twin OB, i dont have any of that.
So fogetting about the transport back to New York, if i have to pay $150/man-hr of labor... what would it cost to get a running hull/dash/transom/stringers setup for my rigging, upholstery and drivetrain?
Or how many man/hrs to get there?
It'd take some time to put a # on it.
$150. per is pretty good money for labor too. I do that work down here for $75. per on the very few jobs I accept.
What I tell people is that you have to do it because you want that boat not because it makes sense to anyone else or is a wise investment as we all know it's not.
I look at the time/$$ I have in my ancient Sonic and compare that to what it would cost to replace it w/something new/newer that does everything it does and it always ends up being $30K+ used and $100K+ new. (we just spent 5 days/nights on ours in the Keys)
I probably have $10 - $15K in mine including motors.
If you could get that hull for a couple $K and do a hull up restoration and have maybe $10 - $15K in it, IMO you'd have something. Whats a virgin 28' Pantera worth? Can you even find one?
If it were closer and I had the space......., I'd look seriously at it.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep...that one is only worth it if you can get it really cheap....and you can do all the work yourself. I did mine myself, and know what I have now, altho I never would have paid somebody to do my boat for me. Not worth the money. 2cts
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,820 Likes on 712 Posts
Default Kinda like.....

Originally Posted by Scarab Billy
Yep...that one is only worth it if you can get it really cheap....and you can do all the work yourself. I did mine myself, and know what I have now, altho I never would have paid somebody to do my boat for me. Not worth the money. 2cts
the story I read about a shop that specializes in restoring old Boston Whalers. Why pay twice as much to restore a 17' Montauk than what you can buy a E.C. condition version that's turn key?
Has to mean something to and be worth it to the owner.

As an investment you almost always lose money.