Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   Red Baron - NE Ohio (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/279608-red-baron-ne-ohio.html)

Shag555 06-28-2012 10:39 AM

Red Baron - NE Ohio

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone know anything about this boat? It's been rotting away in the same place since I've lived in Eastern Ohio (about 8 years now)...

Redman 06-28-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shag555 (Post 3719612)
Anyone know anything about this boat? It's been rotting away in the same place since I've lived in Eastern Ohio (about 8 years now)...

??Could be Bob Higgin's 32' Cigarette?? Previously raced by Billy McDonald, and Billy Wishnick---as the 'Boss a Nova??---
Or--just wants to look like the 'Red Baron'??

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lxgot3.jpg

Stormrider 06-28-2012 01:29 PM

Looks more like a 27mag or maybe a signature.

bufordt 06-28-2012 01:42 PM

Looks like a signature w/ obviously volvo drives? I'm sure H20 will know!

Dirty Pearl 06-28-2012 04:40 PM

You can just barley see the leaves on the back of the 27 Sport.

h2oboater 06-28-2012 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is a Mag sport, and here is a better pic of it from back in the day. :ernaehrung004:

Fast Shafts 06-28-2012 07:36 PM

OK, the next obvious question-Is it for sale???

Shag555 06-28-2012 09:19 PM

Interestingly enough, I was getting fuel tonite near Milton Lake for test and tune after some drive work, and a kid came up asking about my boat. He mentioned the Baron, that his grandad owned it, and he is now about 75 years old, and cant manage it anymore. Whether its true or not, this thing is wasting away. If someones interested, Ill give you the address to give it a shot for purchase.

Shag555 06-28-2012 09:24 PM

Do you know what hull length this boat is? For whatever reason (maybe colors), it looks a lot larger than my 28.

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 3719883)
It is a Mag sport, and here is a better pic of it from back in the day. :ernaehrung004:

h2oboater 06-28-2012 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Shag555 (Post 3720103)
Do you know what hull length this boat is? For whatever reason (maybe colors), it looks a lot larger than my 28.

Magnum sports are 27' 4"...

Dave145 08-08-2014 01:13 AM

Hi Shag, My Dad bought this boat in 1972. She had twin Chrysler 300 CID I/O's with Volvo Penta drives. Dad had the graphics hand painted on the boat. She was completely stock so she was more reliable than the Powder Keg, which was also at Mentor Harbor Yacht Club in the 1970's.This boat meant the world to me and

JRider 08-08-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shag555 (Post 3719612)

I have seen the boat in the field rotting away as in the picture. Actually stopped and looked at it and asked questions. The widow and her son were there and quite emotional about the boat. It is right down the street from the golf course by lake Milton. It is a Magnum and in terrible shape.

murfman 08-08-2014 06:52 PM

i've got too much time on my hands...

Google Earth:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps86a46218.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0567f0c7.jpg

Man that would be a sweet barn mate to my Chrysler powered sedan... Love me the Mopar engines and love me the 27' Magnum...

murfman 08-08-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dave145 (Post 4167613)
Hi Shag, My Dad bought this boat in 1972. She had twin Chrysler 300 CID I/O's with Volvo Penta drives. Dad had the graphics hand painted on the boat. She was completely stock so she was more reliable than the Powder Keg, which was also at Mentor Harbor Yacht Club in the 1970's.This boat meant the world to me and

Are they 318 or 340 Chryslers?

hallj 08-08-2014 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by murfman (Post 4168001)
i've got too much time on my hands...

Google Earth:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps86a46218.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0567f0c7.jpg

Man that would be a sweet barn mate to my Chrysler powered sedan... Love me the Mopar engines and love me the 27' Magnum...

You've been taking lessons from H2oboater.

Jeff

murfman 08-08-2014 08:41 PM

He won't find mine... It's inside my barn lol

Dave145 08-11-2014 03:57 PM

Hi Murphman, They had to be the 340's. The boat would go about 65 in calm seas and about 70 or so in a slight chop. It also had the big V8 idle sound, not to mention enough power to cavitate the props before the boat got up on plane. Also, Dad was crew (navigator) on a 36' Cigarette called the BBB #777. He had fast cars like Corvettes and Ferrari's, so there was no way he would have ordered the smaller engines. Thank you guys on the forum for the info on the boat. I'm going to go take a look at her this week.

murfman 08-11-2014 05:30 PM

That would be a nice boat to restore, I'm a sucker for Mopars, hence my 27' Sedan project that has 2 360 Mopars in it.

JRider 08-11-2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dave145 (Post 4169406)
Hi Murphman, They had to be the 340's. The boat would go about 65 in calm seas and about 70 or so in a slight chop. It also had the big V8 idle sound, not to mention enough power to cavitate the props before the boat got up on plane. Also, Dad was crew (navigator) on a 36' Cigarette called the BBB #777. He had fast cars like Corvettes and Ferrari's, so there was no way he would have ordered the smaller engines. Thank you guys on the forum for the info on the boat. I'm going to go take a look at her this week.

It is rough

h2oboater 08-12-2014 12:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Dave145 (Post 4169406)

This Cig?? I believe TRIPLE B also went by the name ROCK A BYE #777 back in the day...

Dave145 08-12-2014 12:26 AM

That is 100% correct

Dave145 08-13-2014 09:20 PM

Hey guys, I went to see the boat today and she is indeed rough. The paint is seriously oxidized, so is all of the carpet and upholstery which is no surprise. The boat is incredibly original, the foredeck insert and the bubble vent are there but they are in really bad condition. The original single lifeline is intact. It has the original gauges, the Morse throttles, all of the original chrome, steps (some wood is missing), cleats, vents, fuel level indicators, and engines. I was wrong about the engines, they are 350 Chevy's and appear to be the original ones. There are no batteries and the 4bbl carbs have no air filters or spark arrestors. The port outdrive was blown at some point and is not installed on the boat. The props are in a box full of water in the cockpit. I spoke to the current owners brother and they apparently have a replacement Volvo 270 for it. The steering mechanism and steering wheel have been replaced. The windshield is mostly original but is cracked and there is clear plastic on the sides. The port compass is missing.

The forward bulkheads and the floor boards above the gas tanks appear to be sound, as does the transom ! I thought the transom would look like trash for sure. The cockpit bulkheads and flooring are all dry rotted. When I stepped on the port side hatch in the cockpit, it failed under my (210 lb) weight. The seats are flopping around on the original aluminum mounts. The mounts seem OK, it's the floor they are attached to that is the issue. I did see a mouse when I went forward below deck so I anticipate hidden damage especially to the electronics. The hull ID is on a plaque on the aft cockpit bulkhead inside the engine compartment. The Hull ID is 27 174 2. The max HP was tough to read. It did say 6 persons max. The rub rails are all dented. There is a hole in the bow where it meets the front of the trailer. I did see some blisters on the upper part of the hull. The boat definitely needs a marine survey before she gets anywhere near the water.

I gave the current owners fiancee my phone number and I gave his brother my bands business card. The prior owner died of complications from a boating accident eight years ago which is of course very, very, sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends after I heard the story. But it does explain why the boat has been sitting there for the last eight years. The grass around the boat is now at least 2 ft tall and I have $1.00 that says the wheel bearings on the trailer are all seized. Hopefully I'll hear back from them.
Dave

Dave145 08-13-2014 09:33 PM

Where did you find all the vintage material? I went on the vintage part of this site and recognized so many of the boats! Kiekafer II, Putt Putt, Copper Kettle, KAAMA, just to name a few. In fact there are pics from Mentor Harbor Yacht club where I am positive I was there. Thank you for posting this stuff. WOW!

h2oboater 08-13-2014 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dave145 (Post 4171282)
Where did you find all the vintage material? I went on the vintage part of this site and recognized so many of the boats! Kiekafer II, Putt Putt, Copper Kettle, KAAMA, just to name a few. In fact there are pics from Mentor Harbor Yacht club where I am positive I was there. Thank you for posting this stuff. WOW!

Have you seen my post Back in the day here on OSO ?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...-back-day.html.

I been collecting offshore stuff since 1971, like many others here.