24x7 aero..  can I remove the foam inside the hull >

24x7 aero.. can I remove the foam inside the hull

Notices

24x7 aero.. can I remove the foam inside the hull

Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24x7 aero.. can I remove the foam inside the hull

Boat is rock solid... thought about lowering the floor someday by the driver and passenger so drop down bolsters could be used.. its an aero.. yeah I know not a pantera or superboat but looks just like them and mine seems to be one of the better built ones.. no stress cracks.. original floor and stringers are rock solid.. boat is rigged right witj a 510ci bbc and bravo one and sweet paint job.. does 72mph so far.. nut I wanna update the interior next.. so I kinda wanna drop the floor and do bolsters.. but it has a ton of foam.. can I remove that stuff? Was it used for strength back in the day or floatation? Thanks for any help! If I could post pics I would.. also looking for a 24ft bunk trailer... thanks.. live in northern michigan area
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

It is flotation, and it's probably water logged and needs to be replaced anyway. You can take it out, But you have to put it back somewhere.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered

I saw some pantera and other similar boats without foam though.. why wouldnt they need it and mine would?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I got no foam...maybe its in the 2 foot Im missing??? I don't think your going to gain a lot of depth cutting into the floor though.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stock3
Boat is rock solid... thought about lowering the floor someday by the driver and passenger so drop down bolsters could be used.. its an aero.. yeah I know not a pantera or superboat but looks just like them and mine seems to be one of the better built ones.. no stress cracks.. original floor and stringers are rock solid.. boat is rigged right witj a 510ci bbc and bravo one and sweet paint job.. does 72mph so far.. nut I wanna update the interior next.. so I kinda wanna drop the floor and do bolsters.. but it has a ton of foam.. can I remove that stuff? Was it used for strength back in the day or floatation? Thanks for any help! If I could post pics I would.. also looking for a 24ft bunk trailer... thanks.. live in northern michigan area
I only knew Klem to use foam to hold the fuel tank in. I bought the first 24' he sold [1974] that one had a glass fuel tank that leaked like a sieve. I showed him how to foam a aluminum tank in place the right way. Klem might have gotten a little carried away with foam on your boat.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

so as far as you know.. the foam is only for gas tank placement? what is the purpose.. just to hold her tight? couldnt i use a hold down or strap of some type?.. would love to know more about these boats.. mine is an 85 aero.. prolly very similar to your 74.. which was a lancer.. im just assuming.. any info would be great.. is this boat decent enought to throw a little money into? if i could upload pics i would.. has a tyler crockett 509 or 510 in it with a ton of money in it.. with low hours.. has a nice really nice paint job too.. thats why i kinda wanna put some finishing touches on the interior.. an old pics of these boats layin around?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

so as far as you know.. the foam is only for gas tank placement? what is the purpose.. just to hold her tight? couldnt i use a hold down or strap of some type?.. would love to know more about these boats.. mine is an 85 aero.. prolly very similar to your 74.. which was a lancer.. im just assuming.. any info would be great.. is this boat decent enought to throw a little money into? if i could upload pics i would.. has a tyler crockett 509 or 510 in it with a ton of money in it.. with low hours.. has a nice really nice paint job too.. thats why i kinda wanna put some finishing touches on the interior.. an old pics of these boats layin around?
Foaming a tank using closed cell foam was a good way to hold a tank in place, I believe better than straps. Many of Klems downfalls were in his rigging, many were like cars of the past built on Fridays. I have two 1973 Magnums that are in great shape because they were built & rigged well, Jim could have learned from them.
Have you talked to Tyler he might be able to give you more insight on your boat if it was his engine costumers boat.. This pick is one of his Lancers he built, nice use of cold roll steel for the trim...
Attached Thumbnails 24x7 aero..  can I remove the foam inside the hull-aero901.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

Stock sorry I was out of town on your PM. I took the hull to the landfill and they crushed it. Needed everything and thought it was a magnum hull when I picked it up.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

H20.. can you give me any insight on the boats.. were they built decent.. stringers seem to be pretty big.. were the boats set up similar to other 24x7 boats..
Old 06-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

H20.. can you give me any insight on the boats.. were they built decent.. stringers seem to be pretty big.. were the boats set up similar to other 24x7 boats..
All I can say is anybody who raced his boats built in the 80's & early 90's the race teams would reenforce them themselves or some had Tiger Fiberglass [Marysville Mi] go through the whole boat before they rigged them. Most boat builders @ that time used plywood for stringers, Klem use fur boards that's why the stingers are big. Drake found out on his boat [bad rigging & fur boards] how fast these hulls can rot out. If yours was rigged right you may have a good one. One way to tell, have it surveyed.