Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
donzi sweet 16 sporter on ebay with 4ft alum fins on the bottom??? wtf >

donzi sweet 16 sporter on ebay with 4ft alum fins on the bottom??? wtf

Notices

donzi sweet 16 sporter on ebay with 4ft alum fins on the bottom??? wtf

Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

john sr, i looked at pretty much every boat for sale from 16 to 35 on the market right now, as i was in the market for two boats, a small 16 to 24 runabout or cc, and a large 30 to 35ft cc. by going state to state on craigs list and looking at every boat in the boat trader and on ebay im sure i looked at between 8 and 9k boats, there were close to 2500 in so florida alone, i never claimed doing so made me any kind of expert, but i never saw a single boat with the backyard fins on it either. i ended up buying a 32 manta, and had a deal on an 18 footer but the seller is having second thoughts about selling it now.

my point was after looking at ALL those boats the sweet 16 is the only boat with those fins on it... not one of the 40 or so other donzis i looked at had them, or any donzi i have ever seen for that matter... you think the guy with the sixteen with the clapped out old ford engine with a dual plane manifold that claims it makes 500 ponies is some kind of rocket scientist? you think those fins are adding mph do ya?

i haven't once claimed to be an expert on 1) rigging boats, 2) real estate, 3) nor have i ever stated where is the best place to live! please don't put words in my mouth. i grew up in md, but moved to california then florida after i got out of school. i decided to live somewhere warm all the time, where they have a 12 month boating and beach weather... i them semi retired to costa rica at 43, now im living in colombia and stumbled upon this mucura island deal which is a home run... so im going back to work for a year or two to build a hotel on the island with my friend and business partner that owns the island... seems like a cool enough place to spend some time to me... but then again how would i know as im certainly no expert!

glassing in a few bags of sand to fix a problem on a poorly designed hull, if there wasn't a better way of resolving the problem it that wouldn't hurt fuel mileage or performance is one thing. donzi's are not poorly designed ill handling boats, if they are rigged properly! personally i would never do some crap like that to a boat that i owned but that's just me. i give you my blessing to half azz anything you own in any manner you choose, as they say it's your nickel....

when i saw boats that i was interested, in i started a thread on oso in the old school section to get info from people that are experts and know the history of the various boats i was interested in, and by doing so managed to avoid buying a boat i would have to glass a couple of bags of sand in the bow of to make it ride out worth a damn... does that make me an expert...no,

please be kind enough to post a quote where i claimed to be an expert on any of the things you claim i consider myself an expert, thx, rm
Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Because there under the boat not in the bow.I think you are a keyboard engineer No I really can't figure out what type of engineer you are LOL
dude, stop beating a dead horse... please explain why this is the only donzi sporting a set of those fins. when did i claim to be an engineer? im thinking the guy that installed them drilled hole in teh bottom of the boat to do so...

why dont you see these on any deep v race boats? race boats are in fact built by engineers correct? and racer will do anything for ana edge on their competition correct? post up some pics of other deep v's with similar fins on them... good luck with that...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL you just don't get it stick to boat shopping LOLJust trying to help you thru the fin mystery!! John Sr Over and OUT

Last edited by Fenderjack; 09-16-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having spent sometime in a volvo early skisporter they are a handful with the props that were available at the time. I had a 310 hp 351 volvo 250 16 with a nose cone that ran a solid 60 with a 21 solas titan . which was designed by a long time donzi guy and solas late in 2005.

It also pays to know the early 16 bottom is different from an 18 or 22 the inner lifting strakes are longer on the 18 and 22 and they made that change to the 16 sometime in the mid 1970's the short inner strakes let the boat roll from side to side fairly easily. and comparing an alpha boat to a volvo boat is not apples to apples

slop in the steering helmet and cable setup can cause and issue to at speed, Brownie said of the 16 when they first came out that it was a blast at 50 mph and at 51 mph it gunwale walked.

I spent a ton on props and testing and with certain props i could get to 60 for just a split second then had to pull back on the throttle cause the boat was a hot mess.

I eliminated the slop in the steering and put the solas on and I could keep it on the pegs with no ill handling boat was stable and predictable the solas carried the boat at a pretty flat attack angle and made the most of the short running surface

MattyBoy

The Lake George Donzi Classic Club
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mattyboy
having spent sometime in a volvo early skisporter they are a handful with the props that were available at the time. I had a 310 hp 351 volvo 250 16 with a nose cone that ran a solid 60 with a 21 solas titan . which was designed by a long time donzi guy and solas late in 2005.

It also pays to know the early 16 bottom is different from an 18 or 22 the inner lifting strakes are longer on the 18 and 22 and they made that change to the 16 sometime in the mid 1970's the short inner strakes let the boat roll from side to side fairly easily. and comparing an alpha boat to a volvo boat is not apples to apples

slop in the steering helmet and cable setup can cause and issue to at speed, Brownie said of the 16 when they first came out that it was a blast at 50 mph and at 51 mph it gunwale walked.

I spent a ton on props and testing and with certain props i could get to 60 for just a split second then had to pull back on the throttle cause the boat was a hot mess.

I eliminated the slop in the steering and put the solas on and I could keep it on the pegs with no ill handling boat was stable and predictable the solas carried the boat at a pretty flat attack angle and made the most of the short running surface

MattyBoy

The Lake George Donzi Classic Club
good info, brownie knows these boats well, cool he was willing to help...rm