Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock. >

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Notices

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Stephen,

so no ballast needed?..............I'd love to check out the HC if it's still sitting on princeton ave. Wonder if it still has the same power and drives your father built?
Last time I saw it it still had trs and big blocks with the custom stainless exhaust.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cig28
Last time I saw it it still had trs and big blocks with the custom stainless exhaust.
Yep, TRS drives with nose cones, Glenwood log exhaust, with custom S- tailpipes that my father had one of his employees weld together.. Set set of two LS-6 454's, 10.5:1 pistons, chevy heads. 27" Mirage blueprinted props that I bought.

That picture of the boat in the water had to be 1989 or 1990, because I was dating the red-head in the boat then, picture was taken at Long Port, NJ. She loved me, she absolutely hated when my father and I would race any boat that came along, especially in the ocean.
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-100_0070.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-100_0067.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-100_0054.jpg  

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-redhead1.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-100_0052.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 03-02-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

One last thought about the word "stock-power." The 350 cu.in/395hp Tempest package was a pretty big at that time, the when the 454/420 package came out that was another big stepping stone for production boats, but the game changers that we overlook are the V-8 Evinrudes and the Mecury 2.4 and later 2.5 outboards, they were some incredibly stout outboards, that would make a 21' Challenger or Superboat, or Progression one fast pleasure boat, as well as the 30' Shadow and Chris Cats. Then add the 21', 24' and later 28' Skater to the mix, those boats were fast with stock factory outboard power.

The next thing with stcok that came to mind is when Mercury came out with the 600SC and 900 SC Poker Run motors in the 1990's. Stock power can and does have a very broad definition, but I really think that the 24' Skater with the 2.4's was the baddest stock powerboat, just a beast. And just before all that there was the 23' Sanger Alley Cat with twin 2.4's, which I saw run really well in a Barnegat Bay race in the early or mid 1980's.

Pictured below, an example of a 24' Skater with 2.4's, the racing Evinrude OB, the Evinrude and Johnson stock 300's, and a 23' Sanger Alley Cat, and a racing tunnel boat with dual Evinrudes.
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-skater-2.4.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-evinrude-twin.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-racing-evinrude.png  

Attached Images    

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-28-2024)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We actually raced a 30' Shadow Cat/Chris Cat (an example not the actual boat we raced) with twin V-8 O/B by Ocean City, NJ in the Magnum and beat it, it was a close race but my father was ahead, there wasn't any doubt who won.

And we raced a 24' Skater with 2.4's (stock power) in the mid 1980s on the Egg Harbor River and he drove away from us like we were tied to the dock, just a really fast boat.

So what were the really fast stock boats?

The list keeps growing, maybe someone else will chime in and refresh my recollection. Hell my memory is not perfect, and there was some hard pretty hard partying that I was doing on the weekends when I was in my late teens and early 20's.
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-shadow-cat.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Hear Ye Hear Ye".....to quote Powerboat magazine.....24 Skater was the first boat tested to crack 100 mph

Must have read that test 50x
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Excellent question about CG/attitude. Once you were above 80 mph that boat fleww straight. We used to sit in the Ocean in the late 80's and early 90's off the Washington Avenue Beach in Margate waiting for the boats to come so we could race as many people as possible, usually running north, but we weren't picky we ran south too. That boat did nothing squirrelly, flew staright and level, and were typically racing 38' Cigs, 38' and 40' Fountains, 41' Apaces.

Torque, that boat was a beast on acceleration, many races were over form the 50 mph and 60 mph starts, because we pulled so many boat lengths on the acceleration the other boat gave up. Some times after a race the other boater would say "I run 90 mph, or 88 mph." I would be an obnoxious bastard call bull**** and say on the f*cking trailer maybe, but we did race an Velocity who claimed to run 82-85 mph, and claimed we just plan out acceleratted him, so the torque, was a huge factor, which made the boat a beast. My father beofre he died, firmly believed that the motors in the 82-85 mph 27' Magnum would have made the 34' Phantom 95 mph.

I would like to have that Magnum back, that plus my 13' and 15' Boston Whalers were my favorite boats, just fun to drive.

Stephen

PS I love that 29" Mirage "Wolverine". I saw race when i was younger. I am 48 years old.AND

Frank Kerbeck (owner of the 41' Apache Island Runner) had a 31' Foutain/Bill Farmer Excalibur Executioner, just like the one in the Powerboat Mag picture in this thread, and used to kick the sh*t out of alot boats when I was teenager sitting on the beach watching every Sunday. That 31' was one good boat at that time.
Thanks for sharing remember those times well. I thought kerbecks boat before the apache was a cris craft if you are talking about the red one with the red windshield and scoops on the engine hatch. There also was a shadow cat with K&G motors that was pretty fast back then and the whole fountain group that were at shorty's in brigantine had a couple of fast ones as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tad117
Thanks for sharing remember those times well. I thought kerbecks boat before the apache was a cris craft if you are talking about the red one with the red windshield and scoops on the engine hatch. There also was a shadow cat with K&G motors that was pretty fast back then and the whole fountain group that were at shorty's in brigantine had a couple of fast ones as well.
The red boat could have been a Chris Craft, I thought it was one of those 31' Excalibur's, either way it ran pretty good. Is that the catamaran that ahd the TRS drives? That one did run well.

My father raced shorty in his 33' Fountain "Scrap It", and did beat him, I was not present that day but did hear about that, that was another cool Fountain. And thew 40' Fountain "Fanny Doctor." I remember those boats well, and the 38' Cigarette Mancini had was, to me, one of baddest Cigs at that time, plus Mr. Kerbeck's Apache, and Ed Stella's Apache.

I enjoyed seing all those boats. Yes , it does bring back good memories.

Stephen

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Bertram Competition
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Bertram Competition
John,

Great boat, but the person who started this thread wanted to know, what was fast with stock power, stock power being the operative word. I did and still do like the 38' Bertram. So the Bertram with a a set of 482cu.in/EFI, like the motors in this picture from 1975 when you click on the link, not a Bertarm pictured, but the motors were the open class race motors.

http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/Ma...VIEW%20(2).pdf

In the 70' there waas the Tempest 350/395 with TRS, then TRS 280, TRS 330 then 370, then came the 420's along the way there was the 540/575.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a boat or stock power package that I just cannot remember at this time. Holman and Moody (in the 70's) did have some nice small blocks that were similar to the Z-28 350 cu.in. if I remember correctly, there are some oldtimers on here that can chime in, and educate us all. Where are TX2 and Brownie ....we can all learn from those guys

Last edited by Smarty; 03-03-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added link-spelling
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Stephen,
Did your father ever waiver (on choice of power) before rigging the 27 sport?.....or- was he always convinced a pair of 454's was going to be the power for Hairy Canary?
Sounds like he was BBC guy all the way!....................curious what someone like your father would've said or thought about today concerning the repower for a 27' sport.
One thing for sure is they are still heavy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.