Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock. >

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Notices

What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

When we speak of those days in the 70's and 80's particularly eastcoat (south Jersey) help me understand the signifigance of Roger Munn
and what he ment in the area of performance marine especially to the Magnum 27' sport?..........I've heard bits and parts of stories of the old
Kurts marine in Brick (was that Rogers place first?)......"So you bought a stock 27 sport and it fell short?".........why was Munn the next stop?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Stephen,
Did your father ever waiver (on choice of power) before rigging the 27 sport?.....or- was he always convinced a pair of 454's was going to be the power for Hairy Canary?
Sounds like he was BBC guy all the way!....................curious what someone like your father would've said or thought about today concerning the repower for a 27' sport.
One thing for sure is they are still heavy!
Pete I have no concerns putting a pair of big blocks in a sport. If you consider the weight you can lose by using new lighter exhaust, aluminum heads & intake manifold the repower package would weigh in around a stock Merc 350cu 280Trs engine with it's cast iron components. The big problem is that big blocks need around a 33" centers,so if the boat has Trs drives they will need to up in the rub rail to get to the 33" center, & you will need a taller engine hatch. If the Mag came with a 280 Trs package it's on around 30" centers. Some Magnum with Volvo drives were built with wider centers if they came with Crusader 350 engines. You can easily build a 400hp big block that I believe a Volvo drive will hold up too. I have helped do that with a Magnum Sport with Volvo E drives that lived for many years with that package. The Trs drive package will have no problem holding up to 400 hp even with the lighter & shorter Merc transmission, you just need wider centers for the Big blocks. Most of the Clem Gem copies with twins were big block boats & did not sit to low in the water even with the fuel tanks under the cockpit floor. The pic showes the wider centers with the stock crusaders engines in the purple Mag, & a pic of my engines with Crusader exhaust on 31" centers.
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-mag-crusader-1012.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-mags-new-engines-10.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
When we speak of those days in the 70's and 80's particularly eastcoat (south Jersey) help me understand the signifigance of Roger Munn
and what he ment in the area of performance marine especially to the Magnum 27' sport?..........I've heard bits and parts of stories of the old
Kurts marine in Brick (was that Rogers place first?)......"So you bought a stock 27 sport and it fell short?".........why was Munn the next stop?
Roger owned Rogers Speed shop in Garwood NJ.
His brother in law Gary Roben worked there also. I sold him my 27 Magnum Sport
Roger opened a boat shop on Mantoloking Rd in Bricktown. NJ
Gary ran the speed shop & Roger the boat shop.
I built a new 28 cig 280 TRS boat in 1979 to race in P class.
It came out of the factory running 65mph. Roger & Don Stoll worked on it and WITHOUT touching the engines picked up 5 mph.
Roger new every trick to gain speed. That's y people flocked to him + he is a great guy
Then he sold the business to Kurt.
I believe Roger lives on the west coast of Florida.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My 1989 Talon 25' cat with centerpod, twin 2.4 Bridgeports ran 105 mph and was Powerboat Mags Excellence of Design Award in 1989. The sticker on the dash says so, so it must be true.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-28-2024)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
Pete I have no concerns putting a pair of big blocks in a sport. If you consider the weight you can lose by using new lighter exhaust, aluminum heads & intake manifold the repower package would weigh in around a stock Merc 350cu 280Trs engine with it's cast iron components. The big problem is that big blocks need around a 33" centers,so if the boat has Trs drives they will need to up in the rub rail to get to the 33" center, & you will need a taller engine hatch. If the Mag came with a 280 Trs package it's on around 30" centers. Some Magnum with Volvo drives were built with wider centers if they came with Crusader 350 engines. You can easily build a 400hp big block that I believe a Volvo drive will hold up too. I have helped do that with a Magnum Sport with Volvo E drives that lived for many years with that package. The Trs drive package will have no problem holding up to 400 hp even with the lighter & shorter Merc transmission, you just need wider centers for the Big blocks. Most of the Clem Gem copies with twins were big block boats & did not sit to low in the water even with the fuel tanks under the cockpit floor. The pic showes the wider centers with the stock crusaders engines in the purple Mag, & a pic of my engines with Crusader exhaust on 31" centers.
That is a great point you brought up. My father's Magnum had the drives on 32" centers, there was no room. My father's biggerst complaint was finding another set of exhaust that would fit. He had CMI build a set of headers and they just could not fit, CMI gave him a full refund, but would much rather have had a set of headers that would fit, other than the Glenwood log exhaust manifolds. He wanted more horsepower, and he felt the log exhaust manifolds were holding him back, from a set of bigger cams, Merlin heads that would and a nice Dart intake, and to get that tube length that the CMI's would have gave him. He was going for 550-600 hp, that was sort of the game plan. He figured at 600 hp the TRS drives were at the ceiling as well as his transmissions. Don't ask me abouit his transmissions, because I just don't remember....

So what other hot-rods were fast with stock power......

Last edited by Smarty; 03-04-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Roger owned Rogers Speed shop in Garwood NJ.
His brother in law Gary Roben worked there also. I sold him my 27 Magnum Sport
Roger opened a boat shop on Mantoloking Rd in Bricktown. NJ
Gary ran the speed shop & Roger the boat shop.
I built a new 28 cig 280 TRS boat in 1979 to race in P class.
It came out of the factory running 65mph. Roger & Don Stoll worked on it and WITHOUT touching the engines picked up 5 mph.
Roger new every trick to gain speed. That's y people flocked to him + he is a great guy
Then he sold the business to Kurt.
I believe Roger lives on the west coast of Florida.
Roger did a lot of the work on my old Magnum sport, Blueprinted the bottom, raised the drives, we add his old Volvo drive trim set up and also changed the vertical and horizontal shifts which allowed me to run the Merc. clever props back in the 70s. We also installed the Hynautic steering system and K-planes on the Sports.
I learned a lot from Roger back then about Magnums. I also got some trick Volvo speedy lowers from Don Stoll which came out of Mich. back then
I believe Roger is living in Fort Myers Fla now and has a shop there?
Thank you
jim
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grew up on the north shore of Long Island. Back in the day we had quite a few performance boats in each and every harbor. Two of the fastest boats back then (mid 70's) where a cigarette out of manhasset called sun dance and a 29 mirage out of Hempstead harbor called time out. The owner of time out was a friend of my dad an I used to wax and do little cleans up for him just to take a ride. The time out ran a solid 78 and him and the owner of sun dance went back and forth for a entire summer seeing who ran better. Time out obviously had a little more jingle because he pretty much so kept the edge every time. It was quite an era . As far as I can remember the fastest production boat of this time was the introduction of the Viper. I truly remember everyone showing up at the Patchogue boat races to see a unavailing of the Viper. The Sauk was the Viper ran 80 mph with a pair of 280 Murcs. I'll never forget it. The boat was beautiful and the owner of the time out and another of my dads friends both pick two up. The new Time out and the new Split Second where untouchable on the l.i.sound. What a time it was.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Roger Munn and Billy Martins MPH.

[[ATTACH=CONFIG]519746[[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519745[

Roger lives in Naples Florida and runs Rogers Machine and Engine shop ,still doing what he has done for years...make boats go faster. Spoke with him on speeds he has achieved... Jolly Rogers his with 27 Magnum Sport big blocks ran 88mph ...his original design the 31ft. Spirit ran 86 mph. Which was heavier and wider than the 27 Magnum and won the worlds back in 1991 (not sure on the date)

Billy Martin ran 82mph. with his original 27 Magnum, Bounty Hunter. He also was instrumental in the development of the Magnum long bodies 29-5 to 34ft.which people know very little about. We understand no more than 6 were built, I own the 29-9 ,the two 30's after racing and putting a flywheel thru one hull and stepping thru the bottom on the other were sold to fisherman in Miami. We have heard rumors that there is one some were on the end of Long island, which raced in the worlds by a father and daughter team from England. Billy stated that he and Roger got 92mph.out of one of them, however it ran out of bottom. He believes at that time it could have been the 1st 100mph.boat with some final refinements. However Magnum had won so many races and even beating Cigarette on a regular basis per Billy, that Magnum decided to funnel there money in different directions. Bud
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-thumper-2-ja.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-att_1363316453964_jolly-roger-2.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-hustlerv.jpg  

Last edited by mr vinyl; 03-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519748[/ATTACH][QUOTE=jtilt;408449 As far as I can remember the fastest production boat of this time was the introduction of the Viper. I truly remember everyone showing up at the Patchogue boat races to see a unavailing of the Viper. The Sauk was the Viper ran 80 mph with a pair of 280 Murcs. I'll never forget it. The boat was beautiful and the owner of the time out and another of my dads friends both pick two up. The new Time out and the new Split Second where untouchable on the l.i.sound. What a time it was.[/QUOTE]

Here is the 1st Viper built. Thats Gazell, Berk & Spiniello 1980
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-viper.jpg  

Last edited by lucky strike; 03-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

Default Fastest P Boat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519749[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]519750[/ATTACH]

1st is the Bay Race 1980
2nd is the Benihana 1978
Attached Thumbnails What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-greatadventures.jpg   What are some of the fastest old-school boats out there, stock.-greatadventure3.jpg  

Last edited by lucky strike; 03-04-2014 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smarty (12-04-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.