question for mr.mccarthy >

question for mr.mccarthy

Notices

question for mr.mccarthy

Old 11-16-2015, 04:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for mr.mccarthy

dear mr.mccarthy,i was thinking about removing some of the fuel thanks,which one do you think i should remove the one in the engine department or the one more in front?
my idea is to create some space and lose some weight.
i am planning to put standart 454's in it.
or do you think it is a bad idea and i should leave them?
thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails question for mr.mccarthy-153.jpg   question for mr.mccarthy-076.jpg  

Last edited by 38banana; 11-16-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 207 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 38banana
dear mr.mccarthy,i was thinking about removing some of the fuel thanks,which one do you think i should remove the one in the engine department or the one more in front?
my idea is to create some space and lose some weight.
i am planning to put standart 454's in it.
or do you think it is a bad idea and i should leave them?
thanks in advance.
Jef

If you want to make it a pleasure boat, take the front tanks out and move the dash further forward to open up the cockpit.

That way you will keep the C of G in about the right place.

The rear tanks are out of the way and will give you plenty of range with 454's powering the boat.

Keep us posted.

When is the expected delivery date to Thailand?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Registered

hi,thanks for the reply,i want to make it a pleasure boat but want to keep everything as original as possible,it will arrive around 29 december in bangkok and then 900km to phuket so i hope to have it here first week of january.
there was some damage that was repaired (badly) under the starboard engine,was that when you owned it or did it happened later?
that is basicly the only bad spot on the hull the rest was sound except for 1 bulkhead that need attention and the deck of course.
Attached Thumbnails question for mr.mccarthy-hull_survey_top_banana_1-004.jpg   question for mr.mccarthy-020.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Registered

hi,thanks for the reply,i want to make it a pleasure boat but want to keep everything as original as possible,it will arrive around 29 december in bangkok and then 900km to phuket so i hope to have it here first week of january.
there was some damage that was repaired (badly) under the starboard engine,was that when you owned it or did it happened later?
that is basicly the only bad spot on the hull the rest was sound except for 1 bulkhead that need attention and the deck of course.
If you want to keep the cockpit historically correct, then you can still remove the front tanks..... but the area behind the bolster can be removed and a 6 pack bolster can be installed there.

The only damage to the boat when I raced it was to the starboard side of the deck. On re-entry on one wave, we cracked the deck from the middle over to the rub rail. When I saw it did not affect the hull, we continued to the finish, getting a third overall.

The photos that you see of the deck as plain white on the sides, was before the damage, the photos with yellow on the side, with the crew names on it, was the area the deck cracked and was restored.

I heard about the bottom repairs, but was not involved as I had sold the boat by then. The new owner had various fiberglass people repair the boat at different times. I don't know about any of them or what they did..

The original boat was gel coat, white bottom and deck with black sides and yellow boot stripe. Over all of that was a clear coat.

When I was sponsored by the Government of Puerto Rico, as Rums of Puerto Rico, the boat was painted black and the boot stripe and other striping was painted two tone blue. Puerto Rico logos and name on side and deck and numbers were painted on. We moved the flag from a decal on the side to a small flag pole on the transom. The entire engine room was changed from yellow Imron, to a blue that matched the logo blue. Hatches were from Cigarette, standard race hatch. Coyote style deck was cut off and new wooden section was added when boat was new. Windshield is aluminum with padding for safety. Windshield is too small, I always intended to raise it up but never got around to it.

When I finished with the PR sponsor, I changed the livery back to the yellow and white, but didn't bother with the engine room.

When I sold the boat, the new owner added that sick green color and changed the number from 60.

The best the boat ever ran, was light on fuel at the end of a race, in the very salty waters of the Bahamas. The Nordskog speedometer at the time was the cutting edge in technology, LOL and it read 96 MPH.

Back then it was not unheard of to lighten your boat if you didn't need the weight by pumping the extra fuel overboard......of course that is only a story I heard and I never did it.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-16-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Back then it was not unheard of to lighten your boat if you didn't need the weight by pumping the extra fuel overboard......of course that is only a story I heard and I never did it.
Ya, those extra dump valves in the tanks were there just in case of fire you could flood the fuel tanks with sea water. lol
Old 11-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
If you want to keep the cockpit historically correct, then you can still remove the front tanks..... but the area behind the bolster can be removed and a 6 pack bolster can be installed there.

The only damage to the boat when I raced it was to the starboard side of the deck. On re-entry on one wave, we cracked the deck from the middle over to the rub rail. When I saw it did not affect the hull, we continued to the finish, getting a third overall.

The photos that you see of the deck as plain white on the sides, was before the damage, the photos with yellow on the side, with the crew names on it, was the area the deck cracked and was restored.

I heard about the bottom repairs, but was not involved as I had sold the boat by then. The new owner had various fiberglass people repair the boat at different times. I don't know about any of them or what they did..

The original boat was gel coat, white bottom and deck with black sides and yellow boot stripe. Over all of that was a clear coat.

When I was sponsored by the Government of Puerto Rico, as Rums of Puerto Rico, the boat was painted black and the boot stripe and other striping was painted two tone blue. Puerto Rico logos and name on side and deck and numbers were painted on. We moved the flag from a decal on the side to a small flag pole on the transom. The entire engine room was changed from yellow Imron, to a blue that matched the logo blue. Hatches were from Cigarette, standard race hatch. Coyote style deck was cut off and new wooden section was added when boat was new. Windshield is aluminum with padding for safety. Windshield is too small, I always intended to raise it up but never got around to it.

When I finished with the PR sponsor, I changed the livery back to the yellow and white, but didn't bother with the engine room.

When I sold the boat, the new owner added that sick green color and changed the number from 60.

The best the boat ever ran, was light on fuel at the end of a race, in the very salty waters of the Bahamas. The Nordskog speedometer at the time was the cutting edge in technology, LOL and it read 96 MPH.

thanks again for the information!
did you ever thought about writing a short biography there are so many interesting story's and you know how to write them down ! i would like to see them all together.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

thanks again for the information!
did you ever thought about writing a short biography there are so many interesting story's and you know how to write them down ! i would like to see them all together.
Jef

I am using the HORBA account as I can't post photos with my membership.

As you may know, I did write some stories of past races, they can be found on the HORBA site under stories. Many of them involve the boat too.

There is a lot of info included in my book BLUE WATER WARRIORS. Here is some of the inside of the book. It covers the boat both as Top Banana and Rums of Puerto Rico.

The book can be ordered on the website and paid with Pay Pal
Attached Thumbnails question for mr.mccarthy-blue-water-warriors-book-1-001.jpg   question for mr.mccarthy-blue-water-warriors-book-1-006-medium-.jpg   question for mr.mccarthy-blue-water-warriors-book-1-005-medium-.jpg  

question for mr.mccarthy-blue-water-warriors-book-1-004-medium-.jpg   question for mr.mccarthy-blue-water-warriors-book-1-003-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HORBA
Jef

I am using the HORBA account as I can't post photos with my membership.

As you may know, I did write some stories of past races, they can be found on the HORBA site under stories. Many of them involve the boat too.

There is a lot of info included in my book BLUE WATER WARRIORS. Here is some of the inside of the book. It covers the boat both as Top Banana and Rums of Puerto Rico.

The book can be ordered on the website and paid with Pay Pal
thanks,will look into it,i also tried to become a member of horba but can not fill in the form because it will not accept over seas telephone numbers.

Last edited by 38banana; 11-18-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:09 AM
Registered

thanks,will look into it,i also tried to become a member of horba but can not fill in the form because it will not accept over seas telephone numbers.
Yes, it was a glitch on the membership page, we are trying to fix it and it should be all set by Dec 1st. Thanks