Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Classic Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore-199/)
-   -   1974 28 Cigarette Restoration along side The 1976 Magnum Sport (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/classic-offshore/333852-1974-28-cigarette-restoration-along-side-1976-magnum-sport.html)

legend 02-06-2016 07:44 AM

I've been working on the Cigarette a lot lately and every time I look over at the Magnum it looks like its saying WTF. I better work on the Magnum today. I'm building these two boats for two different uses. Magnum for top speed single drag racing and the Cigarette for family boating. Want both done in four months. Want them both done but only one might make the water this summer. What one would you work on today?

mr vinyl 02-06-2016 04:29 PM

Always the Magnum.I would make the magnum the family boat.Better ride and handling.It weighs more than the cigarette.My choice would have been a Magnum Maltese for the family seeing it has a little cabin in it for the porta potty Bud

h2oboater 02-07-2016 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by legend (Post 4401045)
I've been working on the Cigarette a lot lately and every time I look over at the Magnum it looks like its saying WTF. I better work on the Magnum today. I'm building these two boats for two different uses. Magnum for top speed single drag racing and the Cigarette for family boating. Want both done in four months. Want them both done but only one might make the water this summer. What one would you work on today?

By all means finish the Cig first as it's much better as a family boat. Sports are great but without a usable cabin & smaller cockpit I I know first hand the family wont be happy. Had I bought a Magnum Sedan or 28' Cig or 29' Mirage in the 70's I would have never needed to buy another boat, it would have fit all my needs. I have always felt the Magnum Sport is just a larger 18' Donzi lots of fun but not a family friendly boat. At one of my old school reunions that Jet fixer brought the Short Circuit to we rafted together, when his wife saw how much more room the Mirage had with it's cabin, engine hatch sun pad & swim platform his Magnum day's were done & he sold the sport. ... Use your Mag for the days YOU want to go out for fast run as I always have said if you own a sport you will need a second boat for the family, my two cents.. Mark

legend 02-07-2016 12:43 PM

Transom assembly's painted

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550707[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550708[/ATTACH]

h2oboater 02-08-2016 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Your transom looks nice & clean. What paint did you use for the Volvo transom plates ? I have been using Lowes oil base enamel color matched to the Volvo colors along with Velspar enamel hardener, when brushed it flows out nice...

legend 02-08-2016 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by h2oboater (Post 4401692)
Your transom looks nice & clean. What paint did you use for the Volvo transom plates ? I have been using Lowes oil base enamel color matched to the Volvo colors along with Velspar enamel hardener, when brushed it flows out nice...

Interprotect 2000E for primer, Martin Sr. Urethane Single Stage.

legend 02-21-2016 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Third time and I got the color right.