New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history

Notices

New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history

Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history

Hello everyone, my name is Joe

My story is that I just rebuilt a my 454 in my sea ray, not a race boat but was always wanting to get involved with racing. Years ago my Uncle Kurt raced and he lived in brick NJ, and owned a 32 Viper know as the MaryK, and was sold and found out today that is a wazzup race boat lol. My uncle passed away a few years back but reached out to my aunt Mary today and sent her pictures of the redone MaryK, she was very happy that the boat lives on and still moving. When I was younger I would go out on that boat all the time, always wanted to race and get that boat off my uncle, lol . He sold it and I was devastated lol . Oh well, it was a long time ago and she was good luck to the new owners. God Bless. Anyway, looking around , no rush. Gonna pick up a classic offshore in the next year
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Joe......Mary K was one of the 11 or 12 Vipers built in Bricktown N.J. Felix Mummolo took a 30 Sutphen and popped a mold off it.
Stretched it a few feet and built a new deck for it. You needed 10 hulls to qualify for racing P class in A.P.B.A. back in the late
late 70's. I knew your Uncle from racing & he was a great guy.

Bill Gazell & I raced APBA that year in the all black Viper named "Great Adventure.". I bough his blue 30 Sutphen "Great Adventure" & ran all the local club races with my team.
The 1st race for a Viper was in California 1980 and we came in !st in our class. It was a very good rough water boat, but ran 3 mph slower than the Sutphen with the same power.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566656[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566657[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566658[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566659[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566660[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566663[/ATTACH]

Felix then sold the molds and the Viper became a Tempest
Attached Thumbnails New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-viper.jpg   New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-greatadventure13.jpg   New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-sutphen-viper2.jpg  

New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-sutphen-viper.jpg   New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-firstgreatadventure.jpg   New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-img_2457.jpg  

New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-greatadventures.jpg   New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-theboys.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Old Mary K

The old Mary K[ATTACH=CONFIG]566666[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails New here with interest in old school raceboat with family history-wazzup.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (02-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Did your Uncle have a 24 Donzi at one time
if so I remember talking with him many times back down the shore
Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Registered

Wow that's great to see, I remember many many pictures he had on the walls,
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 PM
Registered

Yes he did, he had a race boat before MaryK , I believe that may have been the Donzi ,
Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimmepittie
Wow that's great to see, I remember many many pictures he had on the walls,
Originally Posted by dammmagnum
Did your Uncle have a 24 Donzi at one time
if so I remember talking with him many times back down the shore
I believe that was the boat he had before MaryK
Old 04-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Registered

Great pictures , yeah uncle Kurt was a great guy, loved anything mechanical, . Always working on something. I wanted to race with him but I was young and he was getting old lol
Originally Posted by lucky strike
Joe......Mary K was one of the 11 or 12 Vipers built in Bricktown N.J. Felix Mummolo took a 30 Sutphen and popped a mold off it.
Stretched it a few feet and built a new deck for it. You needed 10 hulls to qualify for racing P class in A.P.B.A. back in the late
late 70's. I knew your Uncle from racing & he was a great guy.

Bill Gazell & I raced APBA that year in the all black Viper named "Great Adventure.". I bough his blue 30 Sutphen "Great Adventure" & ran all the local club races with my team.
The 1st race for a Viper was in California 1980 and we came in !st in our class. It was a very good rough water boat, but ran 3 mph slower than the Sutphen with the same power.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566656[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566657[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566658[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]566659[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566660[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566662[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]566663[/ATTACH]

Felix then sold the molds and the Viper became a Tempest
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We spoke often back in the mid 70s when had the Donzi and I had my Magnum Sport,, back them the bay was filled with Hi Performance sport boats
Old 04-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dammmagnum
We spoke often back in the mid 70s when had the Donzi and I had my Magnum Sport,, back them the bay was filled with Hi Performance sport boats
He would be 95 years old now. All that happened when I was a kid. My dad, which was Mary's Sister was 21 younger than her so it was a big age gap. In my twenties I would always stop at the brick NJ house , loved that Maryk boat lol. I am glad it was bought by good people who used it for its full potential. I always wanted to get into the Boat racing myself and maybe I will .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.