Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979

Notices

Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979

Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979

Hello All,
I am a new member to this website and a new proud owner of what is known to me as a 1979 36 Cigarette flat deck.
I just bought this beauty last week from a friend whom had own her for the past 30 years. This has been the first and only ever Cigarette I stood foot on. I was 10 years old at the time, and ever since I could not stop dreaming of owning one someday. I have been going to St Tropez in the South of France since childhood, where this boat was sold in 79 and always moored and maintained... St Tropez is a place known in the 80s and 90s for probably the highest concentration of Cigarette in the Mediterranean... In the 1980s, There were probably 20 Cigs on the dock, and I grew up spending my summer hearing these boats cruising off shore, with their so special sound, the so special American V8! It's actually that sound which drew me to love these boats (have the same thing with Harleys, very popular in St Tropez...). Since the end of the 90s, a lot of Cig owner moved to bigger, more family friendly day-boat like the Magnums, Itamas, and now to the VanDutch, Fjord and the likes... But I am planning for Cigarette to make a come back! as all the new boats are simply too boring to run...
Anyways, my parents friend sold me this boat kind of heavyhearted... He is now 77 year old and thought he was getting too old for it. But he loved this boat so much, he took care of it very meticulously, spending around $15k a year in maintenance over the past 20 years. He actually gave me the last 20 years of invoices and introduced me to his mechanic whom have been taking care of the boat for the past 17 years (previous mechanic retired after 13years of looking after this boat).
The condition of the engines (2x370HP V8 Mercruiser) is very good. They have never been replaced, the boat in itself is as it was sold in 1979 in St Tropez, and it runs very well! they say those V8 if properly maintained are UNDESCTRUCTIBLES.
As you'll see in the pics (if i manage to find how to post them), she's in its "juice", the boat have never been repainted and have never been "updated" or refit, which is what I love about her. It's been in my head like this for the past 30 years (the boat is my age).
The boat was used for 20 days a year in August every year since 1987, and was always maintained and stored in winter by the same company, which is the official Cigarette distributor in France since the 1970s.
Now that I own this boat, I am really looking for as much info as possible on this model. It only says on the original documentation it is a 36' from 1979. I have a serial number, and I know the configuration of the cockpit and sunbed was a special request from the original owner. I saw the same boat for sale in Marbella who has a seating space and a smaller sunbed area...
I am looking for info on the name, is it a "wide body" as there are a space to walk around the windshield and sunbed, is it a mistress? although it does not have the pointy windshield and is & foot taller? Was this hull used in offshore competition? ( deep V hull said to be the best one made by Cigarette according to the owner of the shipyard in St Tropez)...
Any info about this boat would really make my day!
It will go in water on friday, and the mechanic and I will spend the day on it next sunday to teach me how to run her properly! I can't wait...

Big thanks for your infos, advice or anecdotes about late-1970s flatdecks!
Max

I have a video URL but can't post it yet as its my first post!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me and many others the Cigarette 36 wide body was the iconic Offshore Powerboat of the `70s

What information are you looking for ?
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

The 36' was the premeir racing boat of the 70's followed by the 35's
I have a 1982 35' Mistress w/8' beam this model premiered in 1977
Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

cool story, hope you can post some pictures soon!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

here are your pictures Max, thatīs really a beauty you have there
Attached Thumbnails Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image1.jpg   Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image2.jpg   Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image4.jpg  

Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image6.jpg   Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image3.jpg   Looking for info on Cigarette 36 flat deck 1979-image5.jpg  

Old 08-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musthave1
here are your pictures Max, thatīs really a beauty you have there
Thanks v much for posting!
I just spent 20 days using her and she works fantastically...
it's amazing knowing the engines are both 38 years old!!!
she runs at top speed of 45 knots but the hull is so performant that she can keep that pace even in rough seas...
i am now looking to overdo a full restauration of seats, teaks, painting of instruments etc, patch in some gelcoat on the hull where needed and do a good polish!
although every aspect of the boat is a bit wore off i am a bit scared of replacing what has been incredibly built by Cigarette in 1979...
i saw some cigs restaured in st tropez on which the new teak or seats are not as well built as the original ones...
any advice are welcome!
best
Old 08-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

maxpoux.....You have a great running 38 yr. old time capsule!!....I would (as you say) refinish all the original parts to new restored condition ....they don't make them like that anymore!!
Not sure, but I believe your boat had to be special ordered from Cigarette to be a stagered engine setup ...I think your boat is very special!!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
maxpoux.....You have a great running 38 yr. old time capsule!!....I would (as you say) refinish all the original parts to new restored condition ....they don't make them like that anymore!!
Not sure, but I believe your boat had to be special ordered from Cigarette to be a stagered engine setup ...I think your boat is very special!!
I am the original builder of the boat as ordered by Antoine Mercurio. MM
Old 08-29-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 137 Posts

IF you look closely at the picture of the transom it is a side by side setup with a long engine hatch. not staggered. Not sure why you would do that but it looks cool.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Safe outside boat sex ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.