Like Tree76Likes

88 top gun TRS drives good or bad

Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Baja Outlaw

I am actually in the Pacific Northwest . Most of the boating on lake CDA or river . This top gun I am looking at has 556ci , bored 540 bulldogs
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: '85 Scarab III

I have blown 454's (600 HP) with TRS's in a heavy '85 Scarab. Run Chesapeake Bay mostly. It can get rough at times. Lots of air time. Just know how to use the sticks. Never had a problem. Like was mentioned before, regular maintenance is the key to making them last.
offshore312 likes this.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2000 Baja Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastboater View Post
I have blown 454's (600 HP) with TRS's in a heavy '85 Scarab. Run Chesapeake Bay mostly. It can get rough at times. Lots of air time. Just know how to use the sticks. Never had a problem. Like was mentioned before, regular maintenance is the key to making them last.
​​​​​​​appreciate the advice , this new adventure into some somewhat serious performance boat world will be fun as long as I get the maintenance down and check things regularly and not beat the hell out of the thing
Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 28 Pantera 24 Python

Don't let people scare you about TRS their is plenty of them out there if you break them.
class6 likes this.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (5)

My Boats: 85 Cigarette Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastboater View Post
scarabIII?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craney View Post
Don't let people scare you about TRS their is plenty of them out there if you break them.
being scared of them and over paying for a Trs boat are 2 different things... for 60,000 you can buy a handful of SSM Guns that won't pop drives... if a Trs gun is 25-45,000 and nice... I would buy it too...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1990 Top Gun, Pursuit 3370

Some words of advice, especially if this is your first "bigger" boat. Know what you want out of boating. If you start breaking stuff, and then upgrading an older boat, it gets expensive real quick. Money you will never see again, and you may get stuck with the boat for a while.

Reason I say this is my boat was originally a 454 blown / TRS boat. A lot of days I wish I would have just kept it that way. You will be slow, but you will at least be boating. Good luck with the search.

You really can't go wrong with a Top Gun.

Last edited by frickstyle; 08-30-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: ref to price - may be a good deal - foot in mouth
Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 38 Cigarette

Has anybody gone to look at that boat. I haven't seen it a couple years but the same owner has had it for a long time, it was an extremely clean boat.

As far as TRS drives, they are slow but I would rather have them over Bravos. Just an opinion.
J-Bonz likes this.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvogt View Post
Has anybody gone to look at that boat. I haven't seen it a couple years but the same owner has had it for a long time, it was an extremely clean boat.

As far as TRS drives, they are slow but I would rather have them over Bravos. Just an opinion.
I have said that for years, but after adding power and breaking drives more often, I am about I have a bravo backed boat, the plus is the upgrades you can do, Trs there is none...
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: one slow Fountain, one fast ice boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickstyle View Post
Some words of advice, especially if this is your first "bigger" boat. Know what you want out of boating. If you start breaking stuff, and then upgrading an older boat, it gets expensive real quick. Money you will never see again, and you may get stuck with the boat for a while.

Reason I say this is my boat was originally a 454 blown / TRS boat. A lot of days I wish I would have just kept it that way. You will be slow, but you will at least be boating. Good luck with the search, price tag sounds high for what you are looking at.

You really can't go wrong with a Top Gun.
One of the more intelligent bits of advice available.