Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
88 top gun TRS drives good or bad >

88 top gun TRS drives good or bad

Notices

88 top gun TRS drives good or bad

Old 08-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually in the Pacific Northwest . Most of the boating on lake CDA or river . This top gun I am looking at has 556ci , bored 540 bulldogs
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have blown 454's (600 HP) with TRS's in a heavy '85 Scarab. Run Chesapeake Bay mostly. It can get rough at times. Lots of air time. Just know how to use the sticks. Never had a problem. Like was mentioned before, regular maintenance is the key to making them last.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastboater
I have blown 454's (600 HP) with TRS's in a heavy '85 Scarab. Run Chesapeake Bay mostly. It can get rough at times. Lots of air time. Just know how to use the sticks. Never had a problem. Like was mentioned before, regular maintenance is the key to making them last.
​​​​​​​appreciate the advice , this new adventure into some somewhat serious performance boat world will be fun as long as I get the maintenance down and check things regularly and not beat the hell out of the thing
Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 409 Likes on 182 Posts

Don't let people scare you about TRS their is plenty of them out there if you break them.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastboater
scarabIII?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Craney
Don't let people scare you about TRS their is plenty of them out there if you break them.
being scared of them and over paying for a Trs boat are 2 different things... for 60,000 you can buy a handful of SSM Guns that won't pop drives... if a Trs gun is 25-45,000 and nice... I would buy it too...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Some words of advice, especially if this is your first "bigger" boat. Know what you want out of boating. If you start breaking stuff, and then upgrading an older boat, it gets expensive real quick. Money you will never see again, and you may get stuck with the boat for a while.

Reason I say this is my boat was originally a 454 blown / TRS boat. A lot of days I wish I would have just kept it that way. You will be slow, but you will at least be boating. Good luck with the search.

You really can't go wrong with a Top Gun.

Last edited by frickstyle; 08-30-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: ref to price - may be a good deal - foot in mouth
Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anybody gone to look at that boat. I haven't seen it a couple years but the same owner has had it for a long time, it was an extremely clean boat.

As far as TRS drives, they are slow but I would rather have them over Bravos. Just an opinion.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by kvogt
Has anybody gone to look at that boat. I haven't seen it a couple years but the same owner has had it for a long time, it was an extremely clean boat.

As far as TRS drives, they are slow but I would rather have them over Bravos. Just an opinion.
I have said that for years, but after adding power and breaking drives more often, I am about I have a bravo backed boat, the plus is the upgrades you can do, Trs there is none...
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Some words of advice, especially if this is your first "bigger" boat. Know what you want out of boating. If you start breaking stuff, and then upgrading an older boat, it gets expensive real quick. Money you will never see again, and you may get stuck with the boat for a while.

Reason I say this is my boat was originally a 454 blown / TRS boat. A lot of days I wish I would have just kept it that way. You will be slow, but you will at least be boating. Good luck with the search, price tag sounds high for what you are looking at.

You really can't go wrong with a Top Gun.
One of the more intelligent bits of advice available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.