Notices

What to look for???

Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What to look for???

Hello all

I'm very new to the boat world. I have borrowed a friends bow rider 21' Tahoe a few times now and my family and I love being out on the water! So I've been looking into getting my own boat. I don't really like the bow rider and would prefer something with a small cabin that maybe we could do some overnights in but is still not a big slow cabin cruiser... So after doing a fair bit of searching I've found what appears to be a very clean and well maintained 1992 Mirage 257 Trovare with a 502. The owner states its all up to date on maintenance and ready for the water! He is out of town so I haven't been able to go take a look at it yet but I'm hoping to this weekend.

As a newbie to the boat world I'm looking for a little advice on what to look for on this boat? I am a Ford Master Technician so I think I can look the mechanicals over and have a decent idea of what I'm looking at, But the Bravo 1 drive is something I know nothing about. I'm also curious in what to look for on the hull other than obvious damage... Where do I look to find the common hidden problems? Also if anyone has owned a Trovare please let me know what you thought of it? I have a long time family friend who owns a Mirage and he has nothing but good to say about the quality of these boats. So I'm hoping to hear the same from you guys.

My family and I are very excited to hit the water in our own boat soon! This boat fits right in with our price range and looks like it will do what we want it to do!

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks

Howard
Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Welcome to oso, hope you get something nice and join the masses of boating families!

Get someone knowledgeable to inspect the boat with you. Marine surveyors are available but they aren't always spot on with their advice, a boating friend may be just as good. I don't know the model boat you're looking at but it's an old boat now and needs to be checked for structural defects like water intrusion leading to rot in certain areas, probably transom, stringers and floor. It may be perfect but it may be water logged. Remember the boat's age.

If the boat has been used in salt water, double check EVERYTHING METALLIC for corrosion. If she hasn't been loved all her life, salt water left on anything can be very nasty.

For a new boater, I'd normally say consider outboard power, very simple to operate and maintain, super reliable and nearly always stock standard, no engine mods. Sounds like you're mechanically skilled so the engine is not an issue, do some reading on the sterndrive, lots of things to maintain but nothing a good mechanic can't learn about. There's lots of info out there for you.

Maybe someone will jump in with info on the boat model you're looking at but don't be in a rush to buy, I'm sure there's plenty out there to choose from so get all the info and advice you can and don't jump in blind.

Happy shopping!

RR
Old 09-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Registered

Thank you!
im was going to look into having a reputable boat shop do a buyers inspection of the boat before buying it... just need to track down a good shop. Anyone know one in the Seattle/Bellevue WA area?

I'm not in a rush to buy but I really like this boat! I think the owner has it priced a little high but he has said it's been very well taken care. I'm hoping to meet with him to check it out and get more info this weekend! He was very confident I would be impressed!

thanks for the info and if anyone has experience with the Mirage Trovare let me know what you think about them!

Howard
Old 11-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Registered

I ended up buy the Mirage Trovare 257 I was looking at and so far I'm very happy with it!
I need to get a couple more post and I will get some pictures of it up!

Thanks for the help
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Registered

Ok here are a couple quick pics