Notices

1986 KV 38 Scarab

Old 10-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 KV 38 Scarab

WELP2106E686
What are these boats worth,hull and stringers good,been painted with pink n teal to match interior which needs to be redone. I have to get back to owner quickly.502 that needs to be refreshed with blowers.Dart blocks.With trailer.15,000.asking firm should I buy
Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

That is the one on CL. Been for sale for a while maybe several months. The hardware is worth it with the blowers. Im pretty sure that boat had TRS drives so be careful with hole shots with those drives. Does the boat still have bottom paint? Bottom paint removal can be messy and expensive. Doubt the boat is 100% rot free. Wellcraft boats although better bult than other mass produced boats were still prone to rot. Usually the drainage holes thru the stringers were never sealed and collected water. For the purchase price of $15K, I would plan to spend at least that to fix the engines, upholstery, bottom paint removal and repaint the hull. $3000 to fix one engine sounds pretty low. Figure if it spun a bearing, then new crank, rods, pistons, bearings, gaskets, oil pump, new valve springs, valves, cam and lifters. new oil coolers. When an engine spins a bearing it sends shrapnel thru the whole engine and does nasty things. Since you have one engine out may as well do the other since they both have the same hours or close probably. Its a great riding boat, but their expensive to redo. I'd shoot him an offer of $10 and see what he says.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

you won't make money out of this but could get you a big boat for less than a new one!

hard to tell on worth, but yeah, 10 or 15k might be ok in terms of parts that are on it (trailer 4k, drives, 1500 each, blocks and blower as is... 3 k each?

but it wont make money!
who am I to say it is wrong buying this scarab !

having a chris cat total project boat to redo !!!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Registered

Default KV scarba

I did finallybuy boat. I think going try sell blowers etc. And try get back to 500 hp range. So I got 3 sets props,going sell 2 pair. I did get a lot of original documents,like brochure for boat.brass plate and never incraved.And tons other things need look through. It is a KV Scarab so somethings people will want. If anyone reads this I would like get boat to run 60 - 65 any ideas how much horsepower I need. And anyone want blowers etc all in working order. 1rebuilt bsm
Old 10-13-2017, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Can you describe the props that you'll be selling?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Default 86 KV 38 Scarab

I bought this scarab. I think there are a lot of people kicking their self for not buying. One motor runs great,other motor runs 110 steady oil pressure,slight knock,and mufflers on that motor turned little blue. Either hot or lean. Going to pull and find out. No metal in oil. Does anyone know the paint codes for the teal,pink,purple. I have talked to two previous owners,never been kept in water. Cabin all original and excellent except rug fade.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lakeland157
I bought this scarab. I think there are a lot of people kicking their self for not buying. One motor runs great,other motor runs 110 steady oil pressure,slight knock,and mufflers on that motor turned little blue. Either hot or lean. Going to pull and find out. No metal in oil. Does anyone know the paint codes for the teal,pink,purple. I have talked to two previous owners,never been kept in water. Cabin all original and excellent except rug fade.
Also have original brass nameplate from wellcraft and never incraved.And. I will post a few pictures when I figure out how
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 634 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Join us with a thread on Scarab Owner's Forum.

Congrats on a great classic, but join us Scarab owner here on the forum.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/scarab-41/

Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scippy
Can you describe the props that you'll be selling?
1 set is solid hub SS polished 16 x 23 cleavers. $800.00 Firm
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

You need to be a paying member to post pictures, join the site and post what you have. I bought an '82 Kaama 377 this past July, which is the same boat as yours. I'm finally going to be able to start restoring it in the next few weeks. It was a busy summer and I finally rented a building close to me, so I can get cracking on it. Mine is getting SSM drives and 1000 hp a side. If I were you, I would not shoot for 64 mph. That will get boring really fast. I'd shoot for 75 at a minimum, you certainly don't want to be passed by a family in an open bow Cobalt.

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails 1986 KV 38 Scarab-img_0215.jpg.jpeg  

Last edited by endeavour32; 10-25-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.